Soul Bread is worth the trouble

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
I stopped attempting to make low carb bread because of the grittiness of the finished product. Almond and Coconut flours just ruin the texture and make it too unlike wheat bread to be a satisfactory alternative. I saw several discussions about "soul bread" and decided to try it. It was great. The only change I would make is to add more salt.

The bread has a terrific texture, smooth and moist. The calorie count is a little high but there are only 1 g carbs per slice. It is even better toasted. It uses protein isolate and cream cheese as main ingredients.

Give it a try:

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/

Replies

• JessiokaFroka
    JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been meaning to give it a try. It's on my very long Pinterest Board list of LCHF tasties to make.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i think i might go buy ingredients and try that. i have had very little success so far in making things that are "low-carb" - two things i've made that cost me ALOT $$$ in ingredients ended up in the trash because they were so awful!
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... Interesting
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    How well does it keep?
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try it. I would love to have something resembling bread to spread a little peanut butter on.
  • tigakai
    tigakai Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can't wait till I have an oven! Currently I have a Nu-Wave infrared oven and this produced some... Bizarre results. What kind of protein powder did you use?
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Im so making this for my husband for lunches this week! Wonder if it will hold together well with ham and mayo on it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Can someone come make me the cinnamon swirl one so I can make french toast, pretty please
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Can someone come make me the cinnamon swirl one so I can make french toast, pretty please

yea too bad we can't all get together! we could each take a different flavor!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

yea too bad we can't all get together! we could each take a different flavor!

That would be awesome lol
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well I read this, looked up the recipe and was inspired. So today on Amazon, I ordered the whey protein recommended, as well as the Xanthan gum. Should be here on Wednesday, so I'll be testing it out. My hope is that it turns out well, and I can make a bacon, avocado grilled cheese sammich with it. Fingers crossed.
  • NewSue52
    Options
    IMO the bread is best when toasted. I toasted and put PB on it. It's not real bread but the texture is right and the flavor is not bad. Looking forward to a BLT.

• Becca211H
    Becca211H Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is really a great bread sub. My DH takes sandwiches to work on it all the time. It holds together very well.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried making it in a bread machine? I have one that is gathering dust.... ;) would like to use it again!
  • NewSue52
    Options
    Has anyone tried making it in a bread machine? I have one that is gathering dust.... ;) would like to use it again!

A bread machine is not necessary as there is no yeast in the recipe. It would probably over mix it as well. You'll need to find something else to do with it
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »

I was going to say the same as NewSue - since there's no yeast it would be pretty pointless to use a bread machine... there is a "low carb" yeast bread recipe for the bread machine out there, it is not gluten or grain free though so I don't make it anymore, but it worked pretty well. Gabi's Low Carb Yeast Bread
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You posted this, so I ordered the protein powder and shopped for ingredients. I am right now eating GRILLED CHEESE. For REAL. I am so happy!! Thank you for encouraging me! 85ccmqbgzsa9.jpeg
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    You posted this, so I ordered the protein powder and shopped for ingredients. I am right now eating GRILLED CHEESE. For REAL. I am so happy!! Thank you for encouraging me! 85ccmqbgzsa9.jpeg

That's it, I'm sold. I even have IsoPure in my pantry, just hadn't taken the time. That nonsense ends tonight haha!!
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to toast it tomorrow morning... We will see if I can hold out that long!