Confused

Options
PLGlass131
PLGlass131 Posts: 50 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
So I am in other groups on MFP as well as this, and am a little confused. I was having a discussion about over exercising, and was ask if low carbing was for medicals reason. This isn't the first time I've heard that, and the way its being presented to me is that I shouldn't be doing it unless it was for medical reasons. I don't get why though? I love low carb, its what works best for me, and in the end that is what really matters. I was just wondering why I get that question all the time.

Replies

• tinamonkpruiett
    tinamonkpruiett Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do low carb and I love it. Not for medical reasons, just for the fact that I want to lose weight and it's very easy to stick to. Do what works best for you!!:):)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Intolerance.
    That is the answer.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I guess that's just a misconception a lot of people have about low carb. It's true that it can help a lot of conditions, obviously diabetes or insulin resistance but also epilepsy, joint pain, etc. but many people are on the diet just because it works for them and they like it.

I am low carb because it makes my RA symptoms better but I enjoy the ease of the diet so much that even if I had found it didn't help much I'd probably still eat this way.
  • PLGlass131
    PLGlass131 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love low carb, and it works a lot better than anything I ever tried, which is a lot. I have tried everything from low calorie to vegetarian, and I always ended up feeling like I'm starving all day. With low carb I don't feel that way, so no matter what they say its what works for me. Heck, low carb definitely helps me stay away from sugar, and that is a major weakness for me.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I think we are all in agreement here. Low carb is awesome!
    I'm not a binge eater by any means, but I know that slippery slope sugar brings and it's nice to just avoid it all together.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i think the reason people ask is probably out of general curiosity. they might want to know more but don't know how to ask you about it, or they might assume it's for medical reasons because that is all they have ever heard. i think you're in a great position to educate people.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    PLGlass131 wrote: »
    the way its being presented to me is that I shouldn't be doing it unless it was for medical reasons. I don't get why though?

LOL, of course low carb diets are not bad for you. How do they think our ancestors survived on fat and animal protein for months at a time? Go back and ask them to describe the 'essential carbohydrates'. They won't be able to do it, as there are none. There are essential fatty acids (fat) and essential amino acids (protein), but our body doesn't need dietary carbs (which converts to glucose) to survive. Our body can and will make all of the glucose it needs via the liver using a process called Gluconeogenesis .

They will likely tell you we NEED glucose for fuel, for which you should then ask 'what about using fat for fuel?' The body does that quite nicely too, and it turns out burning fat may be the healthier fuel choice. Which gets to your other point - using low carb for medical reasons. Burning fat for fuel produces ketones, and these ketones are what medical science is finding may be quite helpful in treating diseases like epilepsy, Parkinsons, diabetes, cancers, IBS...etc. I don't know about you, but I don't feel the need to wait until I have a terminal disease to start eating low carb. ;-)

In fairness, I once wore their very-tight and uncomfortable shoes, so I get where they come from. But now when I hear such advice I have to wonder how do they think our ancestors survived without 24/7 food supplies and large doses of sugary grain rich foods to supply us with large amounts of glucose?

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i think the reason people ask is probably out of general curiosity. they might want to know more but don't know how to ask you about it, or they might assume it's for medical reasons because that is all they have ever heard. i think you're in a great position to educate people.

On MFP, not likely, not the curiosity part, at least (the "all they've ever heard" part is probably at least somewhat accurate). Sunny_Bunny's answer of "intolerance" is more accurate.

Most people see low carb as "extreme" or "restrictive" and "useless" or "nonsense" at best and even downright "dangerous." If you don't say you're doing it for medical reasons, they'll immediately follow up with something along the lines of "then don't bother, there's no point in torturing yourself unless you have a (diagnosed) medical reason for doing so. Everything in moderation!"
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Go back and ask them to describe the 'essential carbohydrates'. They won't be able to do it, as there are none. There are essential fatty acids (fat) and essential amino acids (protein), but our body doesn't need dietary carbs (which converts to glucose) to survive. Our body can and will make all of the glucose it needs via the liver using a process called Gluconeogenesis .

^^ the above is NEW to most people. we have been DRILLED in our heads our ENTIRE Lives that we must have carbs - and LOTS OF THEM! they make-up the entire bottom of the "food pyramid" so they must be necessary, right??!! (sarcasm...) :#

anyway, i think this way of thinking will take a while to bleed into the general population as "fact."

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    ^^ the above is NEW to most people. we have been DRILLED in our heads our ENTIRE Lives that we must have carbs - and LOTS OF THEM! they make-up the entire bottom of the "food pyramid" so they must be necessary, right??!! (sarcasm...) :#

anyway, i think this way of thinking will take a while to bleed into the general population as "fact."

Very true. The pyramid was put together by agriculture industry (Kellogg to be specific, hence the term 'grains and cereals', ...as if 'cereals' are a food category).

And don't forget who writes up the diabetic food guidelines, a menu that will guarantee to spike your blood sugar through out the day. Yep, the big pharmas. And then they will happily sell you drugs to lower that blood sugar. Up and Down, Up and Down, Up and Down. Sounds super healthy, right? :wink:

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I do low carb and I love it. Not for medical reasons, just for the fact that I want to lose weight and it's very easy to stick to. Do what works best for you!!:):)

Exactly my reasons too. I'm not super low carb, I just make sure to keep under 100g, usually hover around 50-70g.
    A couple of people deleted me off their friends list when they found out i switched over to this way of eating lol It's like I joined the dark side or something...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think some are coming from intolerance but i think the rest are speaking from ignorance. They really don't understand. I didn't completely understand and believe until I made the switch, and I had researched this woe extensively before trying it... Perhaps a bit of procrastination. ;)

Others may feel judged. You could look at it that we have deemed their way of eating not good enough any longer.