Working2BLean
Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
Anyone incorporating or have experience with these food types

Replies

• MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i was just watching a program with dr. hyman and he was recommending resistance starches such as potato starch. i haven't looked into it yet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this, too, but I'm nowhere near close enough to maintenance to mess with this at this point. In to follow for more information. Is this a medical program, @Working2BLean?
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I take potato starch each night. Supposedly, it's a prebiotic.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Uncooked potato starch or corn starch are one way to keep a diabetic's glucose from crashing in the night and dying. It gets processed very slowly and I tried to see if it made a difference to my glucose in the morning as I was trying to avoid what is known as the dawn phenomenon. It didn't so...I stopped.

I am thinking about ordering some resistant wheat to bake low carb bread. Recipe was found on another low carb site. Nutrition sells it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I started eating small amounts of grains again for this.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I believe legumes are classified as having resistant start too. In the book "Always Hungry?" by David Ludwig he allows some legumes on his low carb/high fat plan since they have resistant starches. For me personally, I don't eat them but I plan to add them back in when I reach a maintenance weight.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Just started it. Start with a teaspoon a day. Takes a little getting used to.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    phxteach wrote: »
    Uncooked potato starch or corn starch are one way to keep a diabetic's glucose from crashing in the night and dying. It gets processed very slowly and I tried to see if it made a difference to my glucose in the morning as I was trying to avoid what is known as the dawn phenomenon. It didn't so...I stopped.

I am thinking about ordering some resistant wheat to bake low carb bread. Recipe was found on another low carb site. Nutrition sells it.

I was just today looking up vital wheat gluten to see why it is in a lot of low-carb bread recipes. Found this, and found a brand cheap on iherb.com so will try it and see. (I am in maintenance, but kinda hankering for bread... so will try it. If it makes my joints ache and the gas comes back, I will soon know!)

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/gluten.html
    http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-bread21.html

I just started reading Dr. Mark Hyman's book. He recommends 1-2 tablespoons of potato starch (start with 1/4 tsp and work up), before bed to "help balance your blood sugar and feed the good gut bugs... While potato starch is technically optional on this program, I strongly recommend it." And goes on to talk about the resistant starch prebiotic benefits as compost or fertilizer in the gut. Mentions other types such as inulin, green bananas, plantains. Cooking and cooling and then slightly reheating potatoes or rice to create resistant starch. (Does onigiri or potato salad count, I wonder?)
    He calls his plan a Pegan Diet -- best of Paleo and Vegan combined...
  • Working2BLean
    Options
    I am looking at lowest glycemic impact carbs for endurance training. I do follow the fat adapted lifestyle and know it works.

But...

Carbs do provide a better burst energy and at times that is needed.

My ride yesterday was 1:47 minutes and had a few segments over 25mph. I rode on a low carb day with nothing in me on the first half of the ride.

I hit a gel pack of 110 calories and electrolytes on the loop back and noticed I could get my best mile segments with that little bit of added fuel.

So it is an exploration into lower sugar spike carbs that are slightly more high octane that body fat.

It seems a tiny bit of carbs works at that moment in time and burning it up has no impact on my keto state.

Thanks for your replies!
  • Working2BLean
    Options
    Follow up

So by eating veggies as a carb source we get those resistant starches? I do take a fiber tablet that has inulin.

Hmmmm

Lots of new things to research in the replies.

Awesome group!!
  • lithezebra
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A lot of foods that have resistant starch have to be eaten raw or cold for the starch to be resistant, like potatoes, potato starch, and oatmeal. I'm fond of raw oatmeal soaked in almond milk, eaten cold, and that accounts for most of the small amount of grain that I'm eating now. I used to have it with apples and dried fruit, but that just seems like carb overload.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    keengkong wrote: »
    I take potato starch each night. Supposedly, it's a prebiotic.

I'm eating RS for the prebiotics too.