aversion to meat and veggies

Options
joyfullee
joyfullee Posts: 23 Member
Have you ever had moments where you literally think you would be sick if you had to eat one more meal of meat or veggies? That was me last night. Didn't make it past two bites. How do you get past these moments? I'm two months into my low carb life, and that's not happened before. My husband suggested I up my carb intake from 20 to 50 for a couple days. Advice??

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just weren't hungry?
    Was there something else you were in the mood for? Sounds like a mental battle to me or just simply not hungry. In that case, there's no reason to make yourself eat.
  • joyfullee
    Options
    Was there something else you were in the mood for? Sounds like a mental battle to me or just simply not hungry. In that case, there's no reason to make yourself eat.

No, I was hungry, and I was craving - cereal! Lol! :-)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    joyfullee wrote: »

No, I was hungry, and I was craving - cereal! Lol! :-)

I think the craving ruined it for you.
    But, I kind of have this way of determining weather or not my hunger is real or a craving, since I'm focusing on making the transition to not logging and self regulating food intake based on real hunger...
    What I ask myself is "Are you hungry for anything? Whatever is in the fridge, no matter what it is... Would it satisfy my hunger?" If the answer is yes, then I'm actually hungry. If the answer is no, I want something specific, then I am not actually hungry.
    Even if it's been hours since you've eaten and even if your stomach feels empty and even if you feel it grumbling... That stuff is hormone controlled and doesn't necessarily mean you're actually hungry. I find that if I push through it, it goes away and when it comes back some time later, I'm usually actually hungry because I'm not jut wanting a specific food. I want food in general. At that point, I can see the food as a source of vitality and energy and I'm not looking for something to satisfy a desire.
    I know it might sound crazy, but I've had incredible success viewing my off limit foods like a drug that just cannot touch.
    I'm not suggesting you need to do that, but if it makes sense to you, it might be helpful. We all have our system.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating meat and veggies?

When I did LCLF that was pretty much my standard diet and I didn't last beyond a few days. Doing LCHF really helped with the carb cravings and it gives you so much variety it's hard to get bored of it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

When I did LCLF that was pretty much my standard diet and I didn't last beyond a few days. Doing LCHF really helped with the carb cravings and it gives you so much variety it's hard to get bored of it.

Hmmmmm... I just made an assumption there was fat being added to veggies and meat had fat or added fat too... If not, cravings are harder to get rid of. @Terpnista84 has a very good point if you're doing it low fat... ???
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Hmmmmm... I just made an assumption there was fat being added to veggies and meat had fat or added fat too... If not, cravings are harder to get rid of. @Terpnista84 has a very good point if you're doing it low fat... ???

Yeah, I assumed the meat was fattier, too. Living on chicken breasts and plain, steamed broccoli is different from ribeyes and buttered broccoli.

That said, the zero carbers have a decent rule of thumb -- if you're not hungry for meat, you're not actually hungry. It might seem a bit extreme, but it's not far off. If you're really hungry, any food should be pretty appealing.

From the sound of what you were craving, I suspect you weren't actually hungry, but rather, tired. When you're tired, but you're staying up instead of going to sleep, the body will ask for another form of energy. Refined and simple carbohydrates (which are what most cereals are made of) are a quick and easy source of energy, which is why carb/sugar snacking is so common at night.

As others mentioned, it's okay not to eat if you find you're not actually hungry. Try having some water and considering going to bed or taking a nap, and see if your desired food changes.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    joyfullee wrote: »
    Have you ever had moments where you literally think you would be sick if you had to eat one more meal of meat or veggies? That was me last night. Didn't make it past two bites. How do you get past these moments? I'm two months into my low carb life, and that's not happened before. My husband suggested I up my carb intake from 20 to 50 for a couple days. Advice??

It all depends on your goals, but typically the higher the carbs, the higher the cravings. With that said, I personally stay around 30-40 net carbs (doing moderate low carb) and still can stay comfortably in ketosis with little to low cravings. I think it is individual, so you will have to experiment. I use a blood ketone monitor to keep track, so I am not just guessing. For me its important to get fiber each day, so I have no plans ever to drop below 20 for longer than a day or two. I still avoid all refined and processed carbs completely, which may help me push the limit a bit. All of my carbs come from whole foods like veggies and a bit of fruit. Good luck!
  • joyfullee
    Options
    Well, I found out what was the matter....stomach flu. =(
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Well, feel better soon! I was gonna say nope, this never happened to me. I was going to suggest more variety like seafood instead of meat.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Ha I assumed the opposite. When my low-carb WOE consisted of eggs and chicken breasts I didn't last long so I figured this was the case for her.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Ha I assumed the opposite. When my low-carb WOE consisted of eggs and chicken breasts I didn't last long so I figured this was the case for her.

It makes sense. I just assume people know about the high fat aspect, but I forget how common it actually is to not quite know how important that part is and what fats to use. I've been making it a point to be more aware of that when appetite is in question. I recall another post not too long ago where the fats were almost exclusively from dairy and margarine. :(
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the stomach bug! Hope you feel better soon.
    And what @dragonwolf said made a lot of sense. When I have carb cravings they're more often when it's close to bedtime.