"Cheat" Days - i.e. High Carb Days

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
Does anyone here do this? I'm relatively new to low carb (just shy of 2 weeks) and have been pretty good about staying under 100g net carbs (some days a bit over and some days way under). The reason I started to go low carb is to better manage BG since I have both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. I noticed I'm becoming more carb sensitive, especially as I cut carbs - so a gram of carbs raises my BG much more than it used to.

As I did for decades prior to this, I can always take an extra insulin bolus to cover carbs. The bigger issue is timing of the BG rise and fall, but I have Symlin I can take to minimize the spike from a heavy carb meal.

So today I'm really craving McDonald's - specifically some double cheeseburgers and a shamrock shake. I might just give in... do others take days where you have high carbs? If yes, how often and how high of carb?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    While some experienced people do, it's not recommended for people that are new to this. It only feeds the craving and continues the cycle. Try to get to 4-6 weeks, bare minimum, before you consider a high carb day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    There will be no more shamrock shakes in 4-6 weeks. :(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    In my experience, feeding cravings = never getting beyond the need to feed cravings.

Plus, realize what will actually happen in response to the sugar surge...
    Sugar in - glucose up - insulin present - insulin resistance is still a factor even if improved - fat storage - elevated hyperinsulinemia continues - more severe cravings follow - fat loss progress is partially lost - then what follows???? What's the next "limited time special treat" ???
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have found cheating on this WOE makes getting back on track really hard and usually not worth it. I took a cheat day around Thanksgiving after being super strict for 5 months. I didn't get back on plan until 20lbs gained back and my Dr. told me I was a type 2 diabetic two months later.

Nope. For me, not worth it. My birthday is coming up in two weeks and I've already told my family members no on the cake (which was really hard as I've been craving it for months).
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i had two nights this week where i drank alot of wine & ate beef lo mein for dinner. i had to start a new med, and i can't drink alcohol while i'm on it, so it was my last "hooray" for wine. i gained 2 lbs. so keep that in mind when you drink your shake.
    (and i say WHEN because i know you're going to drink one!)
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't have any problems with cheat days. I have had 3 or 4 so far in the last few months (planned parties and what not), but I really enjoy this WOE so it is right back to LCHF for me the next day. I also try to make up for the carbs I eat with exercise in the next few days after a cheat day.

For example, tomorrow, I have a March Madness party with the guys from noon to about 2AM. There will be a lot of drinking, pizza, chips and other party items. I am going to hit the gym in the AM for fasted lifting and cardio, and make sure I eat a LCHF meal before going, but I am not going out of my way to avoid carbs at the party. On Sunday (after my hang over goes away), I'll hit up another round of fasted lifting/cardio and get back on meal plan. Ultimately, its 1 day, and if I prepare, I can lessen the damage.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think this WOE in particular has little leeway for cheating. I'm doing it for healthy weight. I am also committing to basically changing my life, so I am trying to come to grip with no more shakes...period. That being said, if I were going to do a planned cheat, I would at least lower my calories for that day and go right back to LCHF soon after, but that's just my personal preference.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I looked at the number of calories and carbs in a small shamrock shake. The carbs would fit into my plan of 100g or less of net carbs, but the calories would be all I could eat for lunch. So I decided to get a salad from Subway like I usually do.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on how you view carbs and their effect on the body. I see them as detrimental to health and addictive. In a way, I have come to associate them with the same feelings as cigarettes. Sure, a couple cigarettes once in a while aren't likely to give me cancer, but they're also not good for me. I don't have "cheat days" with cigarettes since I quit smoking, and I wouldn't make plans to have one.

Carbs are much harder to abstain from, and even I have slipped. I do believe that it's playing with fire. In fact, a couple times a single slip has led to a prolonged relapse. But, I believe even a single day is bad for my health.

You, more than I, have a greater cause for concern about high carb days. I don't have to cope with diabetes on top of my addiction. You have personal experience with the fact that your body does not tolerate high-carb food and days. I am an ex-smoker who quit before experiencing any negative effects. You're an ex-smoker who quit after finding that you've started to develops COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). For you, there is even more reason to believe there might be immediate harm from a slip.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I had an insane craving for one. I made my own with Breyer's CarbSmart ice cream (14 g carbs/ 8 net carbs if you don't subtract sugar alcohols), 1/4 tsp. mint extract, and 1/2 C. half-and-half or heavy cream. It's definitely not an everyday food, but it stopped me from running to McDonald's and satisfied the craving. I whipped a little heavy cream to put on top so it looked like the "real deal."
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I don't think of them as cheat days. I choose what I want to fuel my body with. Most of the time it's meat and cheese, coffee and cream, some veggies, the basic stuff. But sometimes I want a cupcake or ice cream or chips etc. Yes I can make lc versions of many things if I want to. However I have no issue with the intentional choice being made to consume something that is off plan. I do know when I do it's possible I won't feel great after and may take a day to get back at it. But one day will not kill me or prevent me from achieving my goals.

When I'm on point it's easy to say oh I don't eat that stuff and be strict. The times come though when I want something that other times I could skip.

Is it realistic though to say you will never ever have a shamrock shake ever again for the rest of your life?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

One morning, about six months into keto and shortly after I realized that I was never going off low-carb, I woke up in a cold-panic with the realization that I would never have another Twinkie in my life. I never even ate them all that much. It was just horrible to think that I would be "missing out" on them forever.

I have never had a Shamrock shake. I never will. I've never had a waffle from Waffle House. I never will. There's a lot of foods I will never have. It can be a little intimidating, honestly, at times. I wonder how bad I am missing out. Then, I just shove that out of my mind (as best I can) and remind myself that billions of humans have lived their whole lives without ever having these things. They lived great lives anyway.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    dtobio wrote: »

I had an insane craving for one. I made my own with Breyer's CarbSmart ice cream (14 g carbs/ 8 net carbs if you don't subtract sugar alcohols), 1/4 tsp. mint extract, and 1/2 C. half-and-half or heavy cream. It's definitely not an everyday food, but it stopped me from running to McDonald's and satisfied the craving. I whipped a little heavy cream to put on top so it looked like the "real deal."

I live in a rural area, and I bet I can't find that here... :(
  • jesslintch
    jesslintch Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I, too, am resisting the call of the Shamrock Shake. It is my favorite. That and a filet-o-fish used to be my ultimate St. Paddy's Day hangover cure. Here are some options I'm going to try this year.

http://www.primallyinspired.com/copycat-shamrock-shake-paleo-healthy-version-vegan/

http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/healthy-shamrock-shake-paleo-dairy-free-vegan/

There are a lot of others out there if you google low carb shamrock shake.

My husband is a Type 1 diabetic and we have been following this WOE since October. He wears a CGM (Dexcom) and his blood sugar line is almost a straight line with much lower insulin when he sticks to plan. Here's an interesting anecdote from a diabetic.http://diatribe.org/low-carb-vs-high-carb-my-surprising-24-day-diabetes-diet-battle He did a 12 day High Carb vs 12 day Low Carb experiment to track insulin and makes some terrific points about the low carb.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    dtobio wrote: »

I live in a rural area, and I bet I can't find that here... :(

Even some regular vanilla ice creams have 19g carbs or less so it wouldn't be that many more. Blue Bunny's regular vanilla has 15 total. Hood vanilla bean is 17 total. If you're limiting to 100gm that wouldn't kill your day. My grocery store doesn't always have the CarbSmart either.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Ever actually think about what's in a McDonald's shake? Corn syrup, corn syrup, and more corn syrup. Seriously. Oh, and blue and yellow dyes.

https://bamboocorefitness.com/this-is-why-you-should-never-drink-a-mcdonalds-shamrock-shake/
    Here is the full breakdown of what is in a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake:

(Note: Some ingredients such as sugar, high fructose corn syrup, carrageenan, and artificial flavors are repeated, which means that the final product has double and sometimes triple the amount of such ingredients. The ingredients below that are highlighted are linked to online resources.)

VANILLA REDUCED FAT ICE CREAM

Milk
    Sugar
    Cream
    Nonfat milk solids
    Corn syrup solids
    Mono- and diglycerides
    Guar gum
    Dextrose
    Sodium citrate
    Artificial vanilla flavor
    Sodium phosphate
    Carrageenan
    Disodium phosphate
    Cellulose gum
    Vitamin A palmitate

SHAMROCK SHAKE SYRUP

High fructose corn syrup
    Corn syrup
    Water
    Sugar
    Natural flavor (plant source)
    Xanthan gum
    Citric acid
    Sodium benzoate (preservative)
    Yellow 5 (Banned in Norway and Austria)
    Blue 1 (Banned in Norway, Finland and France)

WHIPPED CREAM

Cream
    Nonfat milk
    Corn syrup
    Sugar
    High fructose corn syrup
    Contains less than 1%: mono-and diglycerides
    Carrageenan
    Polysorbate-80
    Beta carotene (color)
    Natural (dairy and plant sources) and artificial flavor
    Mixed tocopherols (Vitamin E) to protect flavor
    Whipping propellant (nitrous oxide)

MARASCHINO CHERRY

Cherries
    Water
    Corn syrup
    High fructose corn syrup
    Sugar
    Malic acid
    Citric acid
    Natural (plant source) and artificial flavors
    Sodium benzoate (preservative)
    Potassium sorbate (preservative)
    Red 40
    Sulfur dioxide as preservative (contains sulfites)

I don't know about you, but I don't find that particularly appealing, though I fully admit to giving in to cravings for a fast food shake once in a while (though I'm particularly a sucker for Arby's jamocha shakes).

If you really want a milk shake or ice cream or whatever, at least go with something higher quality. Your name is "midwesterner," so I assume you're actually in the midwest. See if your area has Jeni's ice cream in the stores (Kroger and possibly Giant Eagle are most likely to have them). It's still not great, but it's a much higher quality, with higher quality and overall better ingredients.

Or, better yet, make your own. Egg yolks, cream, and the flavoring and sweetener of your choice makes for a fantastic ice cream, which you can then use with more cream and/or milk, to make an infinitely better milkshake of your own.

The whole "limited time" thing is also purely marketing. It creates a sense of scarcity, designed entirely to trigger the exact reaction you're having. No, the shakes won't be available in 6 weeks, but you know what? They'll be available again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, just like they were available last year and the year before and the year before that. Then, you can also make your own by adding some green food coloring and mint extract to a milk shake any time you wanted. The scarcity is completely and totally fabricated.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I've never heard of Giant Eagle, but I'm pretty sure the nearest Kroger is a 90 min. drive. The ice cream would not survive the trip home.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

One morning, about six months into keto and shortly after I realized that I was never going off low-carb, I woke up in a cold-panic with the realization that I would never have another Twinkie in my life. I never even ate them all that much. It was just horrible to think that I would be "missing out" on them forever.

I have never had a Shamrock shake. I never will. I've never had a waffle from Waffle House. I never will. There's a lot of foods I will never have. It can be a little intimidating, honestly, at times. I wonder how bad I am missing out. Then, I just shove that out of my mind (as best I can) and remind myself that billions of humans have lived their whole lives without ever having these things. They lived great lives anyway.

I love this way of thinking. I had the same thoughts myself. I think of alcoholics and how the prospect of a life without alcohol must feel to them. I was never able to relate until I put it in these terms.

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Do whatever you can stick with. I'm 12 days in and I've had two high carb days and a moderate carb day (today). The other days have been low carb (less than 50).

Today was a day where I allowed myself some carbs. I had brown rice and beans in my burrito bowl. The other day I got a light frappucino and I still stayed under my carb goal (I had a free drink as part of my Starbucks rewards and I waited an entire week to use it).

Please rethink the whole "cheat day" thing- there is no such thing. If you view it as a cheat day you will likely overindulge. Moderate/High carb days can still be part of your dietary plan and you can still achieve your goals with them- it's not an off day. Enjoy your shamrock shake and get back to it tomorrow. You're human and it's okay to want these things.

My advice to you is to maybe eat a snack beforehand so you won't be as hungry when you go. That way you can have just one double cheeseburger and small shake to satisfy the craving.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Giant Eagle is mostly an Ohio/PA grocery store. I haven't seen them much outside that area. So whatever grocery you have in the area that would be considered slightly more 'upscale' I would guess?