How do you keep from bingeing?

Options
13»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    After my first binge, I learned really quickly that it made me feel like crap, so that made it pretty easy to avoid doing it the next time. Now when I have cravings I give myself the talk..... "I know you really want that, but you know exactly how you are going to feel, so is it really worth it?"
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Having a large, high fat breakfast can stop me from eating for the rest of the day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering about how to keep from binging on carbs. I started basically on Sun. (was going to start Sat., but that didn't work out) with low carbs (most days I'm around 100g net carbs, so not even terribly low). I was doing fine until today.

Today, I'm so weak. I'm finding it a real chore to move at all - to walk, to even type this is rather difficult. I really want to carb binge today. :(

Get some sodium to help with the energy.
    Also, the lower your carb total each day, the stronger the craving suppression tends to be. And start your day out right off with a good fat amount. That's why so many of us drink BPC. It's very appetite suppressing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering about how to keep from binging on carbs. I started basically on Sun. (was going to start Sat., but that didn't work out) with low carbs (most days I'm around 100g net carbs, so not even terribly low). I was doing fine until today.

Today, I'm so weak. I'm finding it a real chore to move at all - to walk, to even type this is rather difficult. I really want to carb binge today. :(

Get some sodium to help with the energy.
    Also, the lower your carb total each day, the stronger the craving suppression tends to be. And start your day out right off with a good fat amount. That's why so many of us drink BPC. It's very appetite suppressing.

What is BPC?

I did have a Quest bar and felt a bit better... much better after a salad for lunch. Today is unusual in that I normally grab a Quest bar on the way to work. I had a few extra minutes this morning, so I cooked some eggs and sausage. The sausage would have been much higher sodium than normal.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    BPC is bulletproof coffee

I had to stop eating quest bars because they were a BIG hunger and craving trigger for me.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The sugar alcohols in Quest bars are a turn-off for me, not good for my digestion at all.

I am amazed at how fast the cravings diminish when I don't have carbs (and how quickly they escalate when I do).

For me, not taking money or a bank/credit card out with me when I know I'll be tempted to binge is very helpful, as is making a point of doing a dedicated grocery shop for the week rather than going in to pick up a thing or two on a daily basis.

Also; staying hydrated! We hear it so many times, and it's true. Sometimes I just don't find liquids appealing though/feel that even tea takes so long... so it helps to always have a big pot of tea or pitcher of water with slices of cucumber ect. available and already made - ready to sip on (: And I make sure that I drink at least a glass of water or tea before eating anything in the morning.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Quest bars... the ones I have are either sweetened with sucralose (last ingredient in the list) or erythritol & stevia (near the very end of the ingred. list). Does the erythritol bother you too @olivebeanhealthy , or just maltitol, etc? They've never bothered me, but I know the Canadian bars have a different formulation from the US bars at present.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    The people who kind of go cold turkey for the first few weeks seem not to crave much. Again that's just my general observation so it's not the gospel or anything! lol

i went cold turkey and it was the best for me. for my daughter, we are "weaning" her onto this diet because she is a carb-a-holic. she still eats "real" bread (Sunbeam ONLY) so that will be the last to go. we did manage to get rid of all the bad cereals and pop-tarts, etc. perhaps i'm not tempted b/c none of that is in my house anymore! :)

How old is your daughter, and how did you do this? I want to at the very least cut back some of the crap my kids are eating (they're 11 year old twins)...but they would totally notice if I stopped putting chips or brownies in their lunches. Both of them adore PBJ, but I could probably fairly easy transition that to a lower-carb wrap instead of bread. I don't want them to stop eating the lunches I pack because they don't like what's in it (and I'm not there to be the boss LOL). So, I don't know...they eat the usual suspects regularly (cereal/pancakes, oatmeal, pasta, bread (OMG they LOVE bread), candy, juices, Little Debbie stuff, granola bars, etc.). That's not to say they don't eat a healthier variety overall than many kids, but I'd like to reduce the bad even more. They both like veggies for the most part, so I can add those in to their lunches a little more often in place of chips maybe...they love almost all fruits, cheeses, some yogurt, nuts, etc. I am just afraid if I cut all the stuff out they'll be more likely to go buy cookies and crap at school to fill the void. I don't know...maybe if I go like SUPER slowly with it.

my daughter is 7 and we homeschool so i have about 99% control over her diet, leaving 1% for when she is with grandma. ha

we had a big party on sunday, i took EVERYTHING out of the pantry and frig and told everyone "eat what you want because it is all going away."

the next day we gave away or threw out all non healthy foods. i took daughter with me to the store and we bought berries, cream, meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, etc.

she loves chocolate milk so we got chocolate almond and soy amd coconut milks. i bought her vegan organic chocolate cereal. she asked for cupcakes, i said no way. i honestly think it was the first time i had said no to her in that regard. SAD.

i told her and other children (they are 19 & 21)
    i am sorry i didnt do this sooner. i felt that i owed them and apology for not feeding them better in the past.

both my daughter and one son have tourette syndrome and their neurologist has approved the diet plan + vitamin supplements.

daughter loves PBJ so like i said, we still have sunbeam. we just bought a new gluten free bread, and she is going to try that. baby steps with some things, cold turkey with others.

One thing to note -- "vegan" doesn't automatically equate to "healthy." Always look at the ingredients. I'd also favor the almond and coconut milk over the soy milk. Soy in the US is very rarely fermented and nearly always GMO, so it still has a bunch of phytoestrogens and other crap in it, which can screw with your daughter's hormonal health. Also check out the other milks for more variety -- there's a whole bunch now in cashew, hemp, and pistachio, among other sources.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    One thing to note -- "vegan" doesn't automatically equate to "healthy." Always look at the ingredients. I'd also favor the almond and coconut milk over the soy milk. Soy in the US is very rarely fermented and nearly always GMO, so it still has a bunch of phytoestrogens and other crap in it, which can screw with your daughter's hormonal health. Also check out the other milks for more variety -- there's a whole bunch now in cashew, hemp, and pistachio, among other sources.

our soy milk is non-GMO and soy proteins are up for debate. at some level they are healthy (esp since daughter & i both have MTHFR)

• PLGlass131
    PLGlass131 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would only suggest like one cheat meal a month, which I know is hard. I struggle with it all the time, partly bc when I eat one bad thing I usually end up pigging out. I finally had to say no more this week, and told my husband not to even ask or suggest anything bad to eat, so I can stay on track. I look at it as out of sight then out of mind. As far as cravings, I found that once I cut my splenda back to 2 tsp a day, and no diet soda that I really don't get the cravings I used to.