What's for breakfast?

Options
NWCountryGal
NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
Thought this might add some fun to our typical posts, and also give ideas on what to fix for breakfast, which seems to be my fave meal;) I'll post photos once in awhile, and if you want to know the whole story (recipe) you can check my food diary. I hope it doesn't back-fire and gross someone out, I'm not a top-notch photographer, LOL! I think just to go ahead and add the link to my diary will be easier for those that want to look at all the "#'s", macro breakdowns. The more I think the more I realize this is going to help me keep on track;)

This took 20 minutes to cook:

zi8iv9vw77ek.jpg

Replies

• molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Can't link picture now, but mine nowadays in a 15% cut is usually 40-60g oats, one teaspoon of honey, cinnamon, and a hardboiled egg. I usually pre-log my next day and sometimes I need to add some protein powder to my oats to meet my protein goal at the end of the day :)
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy. Normally cheesy eggs w/onion and cappuccino or cereal, oatmeal, or bagel. Depends what I'm in the mood for. I have such food moods!!! LOL I make a bfast pizza which I ❤️ that has egg cheese pepper onion and whatever else I want in there!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    That's what I'm learning, just look in the fridge and throw in things I never would have thought to before, just sort of a plain, meat and potato gal:) Now I feel like I am creating masterpieces, well, in my own mind anyway, LOL!!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    molnardrea wrote: »
    Can't link picture now, but mine nowadays in a 15% cut is usually 40-60g oats, one teaspoon of honey, cinnamon, and a hardboiled egg. I usually pre-log my next day and sometimes I need to add some protein powder to my oats to meet my protein goal at the end of the day :)

Even during a cut, you gals probably keep the same ratios of macros I am guessing;) Just less calories, which is not meant to sound like I think that is easy;) I have so much excitement and so much to look forward to. Before I started getting into this, I had nothing "on my plate" so to speak. I'm retired, and sort of playing around with some ideas of what I can do. Maybe there will be something come out of this to help other senior ladies like myself. So many have all but given up. I do need to get my new lifestyle securely in place before I think further into the future.

I do think I'll get a doggy type baby though. One to take care of, go camping and walking/hiking with;) Also, you can bet I will be making sure he/she gets the foods they need, and hit there macros too!!

See you girls, and thanks for replying, love hearing for you all;) denise

• molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Even during a cut, you gals probably keep the same ratios of macros I am guessing;) Just less calories, which is not meant to sound like I think that is easy;) I have so much excitement and so much to look forward to. Before I started getting into this, I had nothing "on my plate" so to speak. I'm retired, and sort of playing around with some ideas of what I can do. Maybe there will be something come out of this to help other senior ladies like myself. So many have all but given up. I do need to get my new lifestyle securely in place before I think further into the future.

I do think I'll get a doggy type baby though. One to take care of, go camping and walking/hiking with;) Also, you can bet I will be making sure he/she gets the foods they need, and hit there macros too!!

I always keep my protein the same. 1 g per lb of bodyweight. I only play around with my carbs and fats when I cut. From week to week I substract 20 g of carbs and 2 grams of fats until from my maintenance 2200 kcals go down to 1700-1800 in a month. Right now I'm on my 1800 kcal week and will see my body if I need to drop lower for one more week or stay on 1800 and still lose comfortably. Then from the start of April I reverse out slowly. Weekly adding back 20 carbs and 2 fat until I reach 2200 kcals again and go into maintenance. I might even try pushing my calories higher from there in May. Will see :)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options

I always keep my protein the same. 1 g per lb of bodyweight. I only play around with my carbs and fats when I cut. From week to week I substract 20 g of carbs and 2 grams of fats until from my maintenance 2200 kcals go down to 1700-1800 in a month. Right now I'm on my 1800 kcal week and will see my body if I need to drop lower for one more week or stay on 1800 and still lose comfortably. Then from the start of April I reverse out slowly. Weekly adding back 20 carbs and 2 fat until I reach 2200 kcals again and go into maintenance. I might even try pushing my calories higher from there in May. Will see :)

I know I'm not there yet, the next phase, so I won't try to overload my brain by reading much about "that" next phase. I know right now, I am realizing I need to get the protein that has less calories. I met my goal day before yesterday, but really went over my calories. You really have to adjust as your body leads you don't you. I plan to do my workout today, after feeling better (took me 3 days to recover from lack of protein, my fault totally, wasn't paying attention) so now, I am getting enough, as I do feel better. I'm also trying to sort of divide everything into 3 or 4 meals so I sort of get the same amount of macros, each meal;) Wow, it's a lot to eat, I fell short yesterday, and too much the day before, LOL. Not horribly over or under. Gotta get away from that silly perfectionism trait.;)

Have a good one, denise
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thats interesting! I have barley oats cooked in milk ,with egg whites ,tea and sometimes yougurt too. Before i joined EM2WL my two meals were close to 500 cals.... And now i start by almost 500.... Lol
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I hear you ib,

It's a whole, new ball-game isn't it. I love it, and can't help but hope more and more people will have their eyes opened to the benefits of eating how "I believe" we were meant to, and being active as I believe we were built to be;) denise
  • nmmom2
    nmmom2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning I start with my version of Protein Pancakes (slight variation of Jillian Michael's Hotcakes).
    1/2 cup Daisy 2% Cottage Cheese
    1/2 cup whole oats (I grind into a flour)
    1 Large Egg (Separate the white in separate bowl)
    3 Egg Whites

Beat the egg whites til stiff in separate bowl. In another bowl, combine all other ingredients and mix. Fold egg whites into the oat mixture to form a batter.

Cook pancakes in a hot skillet (I use a little coconut oil to prevent sticking).

I top them off with 1 TBLS. Strawberry Preserves and 1 TBLS. Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt.
  • NWCountryGal
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hmm, I'd like to try this out. How do you grind the oats into flour?

I love hotcakes(pancakes) but there is so much sugar in a mix/syrup, that I feel a bit sicky after a couple hours, plus zero protein;) Denise

Hope it would be ok to use Olive Oil because coconut oil puts more of that "sweetness" into things, than I like??

And have you seen this way to separate the yolks from the whites;)

• nmmom2
    Options
    Ha! That's awesome. I will have to try that tomorrow. I will let you know if it works like the video shows.

I grind my oats in my coffee bean grinder. It works great. You can also do it in a food processor.

I really like the macros for this recipe. Almost equal amounts of Protein and Carbs with very little sugar. You can use any oil in the pan. They take a little practice knowing when to flip them because they will not form bubbles on top like regular pancakes.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    nmmom2 wrote: »
    Ha! That's awesome. I will have to try that tomorrow. I will let you know if it works like the video shows.

I grind my oats in my coffee bean grinder. It works great. You can also do it in a food processor.

I really like the macros for this recipe. Almost equal amounts of Protein and Carbs with very little sugar. You can use any oil in the pan. They take a little practice knowing when to flip them because they will not form bubbles on top like regular pancakes.

Ok, good info on the bubbles. How did you know I'd be looking for them, LOL!!

I have to do a bit more shopping before I try this but I can't wait, Denise;)

• nmmom2
    Options
    I tried the water bottle egg separating trick and it really works. It made separating eggs fun lol.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    edited:
    Hope it would be ok to use Olive Oil because coconut oil puts more of that "sweetness" into things, than I like??

For pancakes try nut oils, I keep walnut and hazelnut oils around for things that just don't go with olive oil. I also like avocado oil, for stir frying, it can take the higher temps needed to stir fry properly.

Oh and as for separating eggs, I have two hands that work well. Yes, Jacques Pépin is a kitchen god to me :)

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    nmmom2 wrote: »
    I tried the water bottle egg separating trick and it really works. It made separating eggs fun lol.
    That's fabulous to pass something on that works for others!! Yeehaw!!

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    edited:

For pancakes try nut oils, I keep walnut and hazelnut oils around for things that just don't go with olive oil. I also like avocado oil, for stir frying, it can take the higher temps needed to stir fry properly.

Oh and as for separating eggs, I have two hands that work well. Yes, Jacques Pépin is a kitchen god to me :)

Cool that you know a lot about Jacques Pepin!! I'll have to look at more of his videos then;)

I so believe in the good Oils we have available, I think of them as the oil in our cars, LOL!! Our body needs them;) I will have to get more of them, so I can compare the tastes they provide. Thank retired!! denise