My vegetarian keto experience- one month in

Options
fileshiny
fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Hi everyone! Yep, I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian (NOT vegan) trying keto for the first time, and it's been an interesting experience, to say the least. My first week was a "practice week", as I was on vacation and couldn't really do what I needed to do. After that, all keto, all the time. A lotta eggs, a lotta mayo, a lotta cheese. NOT a lotta variety.

What I've found so far:
  • Wow, this is one crazy diet - vodka is fine but cauliflower is a cheat food
  • The scale has only moved a bit and I definitely did not drop the 5-10 pounds a lot of people do at the beginning of a low carb diet (or even any weight at all in the beginning); however...
  • I am not on a low-calorie diet - 2200 cal/day, so I don't really expect to lose a lot of weight quickly; and
  • The biggest change is that my energy levels are stable and static throughout the day. This is a HUGE change and benefit for me. Until I changed to keto, I had no idea that my energy levels fluctuated so much with my blood sugar drops. As a vegetarian, I was always hungry- I had to eat every 3 hours or I was starving, couldn't concentrate and couldn't exercise until I had eaten. On keto, skipping snacks is no big deal and even if I get hungry, my energy levels don't drop - I can't keep doing what I'm doing. To not be hungry all the time, and to not have to worry constantly about what might happen if I don't have food handy, is so freeing!
  • I don't crave sweets or breads at all, but goddamn, I miss my cauliflower! (I know I can have it in moderation, but I LOVE cauliflower and can't do it in moderation)
  • My earwax has become a marvel of viscosity
  • My tongue has developed a permanent black/brown layer on it that can't be removed no matter what - seriously, what's up with that?

Any other lacto-ovo vegetarians giving this a go? What's your experience? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Vodka isn't actually Keto just because it has no carbs. It's not Keto at all because it stops ketosis.
    Cauliflower is not a cheat food just because it has carbs. It is perfectly acceptable on a Keto diet. Just have to figure out how much you can tolerate in one serving before ketosis is affected.
    I have no idea why your tongue is black. I've never heard that before. Related to dehydration maybe? Candida die off?
    Also don't know about the earwax change thing...

Anyway, glad to hear your hunger is normal and you're getting the expected energy. Keep an eye on sodium levels and electrolytes. You need a lot more sodium on Keto.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Excellent update. :) I love the energy improvements too. It's my favourite part too.

The black tongue could be a yeast. If it doesn't resolve soon you may want to get some antifungals.

I can't imagine missing cauliflower... LOL ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nifty stuff!

The big drops that are commonly heard of in low carb typically come from water release when switching from a poor diet (like SAD) to just about any healthy one. You might have seen it when you first went veggie if you're a convert and went from SAD to whole food veggie. Otherwise, it might have been a slow thing if your transition to healthy eating was slower (like, junk food -> junk food veggie -> whole food "upgrades" -> whole food veggie).

I hear you on the cauliflower, though I'm more of a broccoli fan. I've been known to take a family pack of frozen broccoli (you know, the ones that have like 4-6 servings; bonus points for a bag full of florets), heat it up, douse it in butter (or cheese), and eat the whole thing by myself. :D

(Mod hat, just admin type stuff)
    @baconslave info/source for veggie keto info
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo

That's all I've found so far. No one has volunteered anything else when I've asked so I'll have to hunt for some others.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    Vodka isn't actually Keto just because it has no carbs. It's not Keto at all because it stops ketosis.

Sunny, this is terrifying! Please say more about this. And cauliflower is a cheat food when you eat a whole huge head of it! :smiley:

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I'm curious too. I don't drink much so I've never looked into the effects of alcohol on ketosis.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    theketogenicdiet.org/keto-diet-and-alcohol/

The writer of the article seems to have a sense of humor.

"You will not be eating pizza and other delicious, but carb-laden foods that drunk people normally eat,"
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I'm curious too. I don't drink much so I've never looked into the effects of alcohol on ketosis.

Your liver just can't do anything else until the alcohol is out of your system. So you can't burn fat, make ketones, because it burn the alcohol first.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    • My tongue has developed a permanent black/brown layer on it that can't be removed no matter what - seriously, what's up with that?

Wow. New symptoms!

Google "black tongue". Apparently harmless, but might be due to foods you're eating or dehydration.

Ear wax apparently can change with diet. Maybe the fats you're eating?
  • Evelynandchris
    Evelynandchris Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm no keto expert, but I eat cauliflower often (with cream and butter). It's really not that high in carbs. I can't imagine doing keto as a vegetarian, you are amazing!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I can't imagine missing cauliflower... LOL ;)

You'll miss anything once someone says you can't have it!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    The big drops that are commonly heard of in low carb typically come from water release when switching from a poor diet (like SAD) to just about any healthy one. You might have seen it when you first went veggie if you're a convert and went from SAD to whole food veggie. Otherwise, it might have been a slow thing if your transition to healthy eating was slower (like, junk food -> junk food veggie -> whole food "upgrades" -> whole food veggie).

My diet before now was pretty good, just too heavy on portion sizes (I love to eat!) My previous macros were more of an emphasis on protein and carbs, lower on fat (but not low fat). Lots of veggies, whole grains, ethnic foods from around the world. Typical hipster vegetarian stuff, minus the kale. I get quite a bit of exercise, even with some significant injuries, so that probably plays a factor as well.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    I'm no keto expert, but I eat cauliflower often (with cream and butter). It's really not that high in carbs. I can't imagine doing keto as a vegetarian, you are amazing!

I'm aiming for a maximum of 20g total carbs a day, and a large head of cauliflower has 45g of total carbs, so it's out for me. And yes, I know I could have a little of it, but cauliflower is like ice cream for me - completely irresistible once I get started.

I do think I might have chosen the single most impossible WOE for a vegetarian to pull off successfully, but it's worth a shot, dontcha think? 13 years ago, the Atkins company told me that it was impossible for a vegetarian to do Atkins, so I didn't even try for all that time. This is my screw you to the Atkins company.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Wow. New symptoms!

Google "black tongue". Apparently harmless, but might be due to foods you're eating or dehydration.

Ear wax apparently can change with diet. Maybe the fats you're eating?

Thank you! Apparently, it is not only black, but hairy! Altogether now, everyone say "eeewwwwwwww"!!!!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    theketogenicdiet.org/keto-diet-and-alcohol/

The writer of the article seems to have a sense of humor.

"You will not be eating pizza and other delicious, but carb-laden foods that drunk people normally eat,"

Ah, so it's a temporary stop to ketosis, Interesting decision - is the trade off of alcohol worth losing fat burning for a while? I may (MAY!) give up alcohol for a while to see what happens.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

That's all I've found so far. No one has volunteered anything else when I've asked so I'll have to hunt for some others.

Thank you for this!! This is actually really helpful- I may have found my peeps!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Thank you for this!! This is actually really helpful- I may have found my peeps!

AND a paneer-crust vegetarian keto pizza recipe! OMG!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Great results, you're amazing for pulling this off! I imagine only vegan keto would be more difficult than what you're doing.

Please keep us posted. And I totally get the cauliflower thing. First time I had cauli mashed "potato" I ate so much I felt stuffed the rest of the day (and out of keto, of course, even with all the fat).

Best of luck!

::flowerforyou::