I'm guessing bone broth is very good for us?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
I don't know much about it, but it seems like a good thing.... but I was in Barnes & Noble tonight and there was a book called "200 Bone Broth Recipes".

Seriously? There are 200?

Not asking in a mean way, but it would seem like a very big stretch to have 200 distinct recipes - at least to me.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Bones, water, simmer, drink. How do you write that 200 different ways? LOL
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There's some new book about bone broth. Can't remember the name or author (a lady naturopathic Doctor I think)... Was interviewed on Bulletproof Radio recently. Sounded pretty good.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I hear lots of folks use aromatics in their bine broth. I did a batch with onion skins then strained it. Super yummy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Don't you have to cook it for 48 hours to get a proper bone broth? :open_mouth:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

No I get the gelatinous-when-cooled broth, and am able to easily break the bones (which is how you're supposed to be able to tell that it's "done") after 24 hours. I make it in my crockpot on high.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I do it for 240 mins in my pressure cooker.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm eating different bone broths everyday. I love the stuff. But I'm a novice, and its literally as easy as @FIT_Goat says. I put a little vinegar in mine with seasoning salt. What I didn't realize is that there are so many different bones. I had pork neck bone and beef marrow bones this week. They were marvelous.

Bone broth is called a "superfood" in almost all eating regimens I have read about (except vegan of course). It has a healing effect to your intestinal walls (they were damaged by gluten).

It tastes so good with the simple recipe (in my top 5 foods) that to enhance it ~ may make it a "kryptonite" food (LOL!) Hmmmm, maybe I shouldn't get that book?

Dan
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You can put different herbs in it. I usually do the simple onion/celery/carrot combo, and fish out and trash the veg at the end. Pro tip: freeze bone broth in ice cube trays, one cube equals a quarter of a cup, you can use it in recipes instead of canned stuff.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You can put bones in your freezer and save them until you get a enough to make a large batch of broth.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've heard it highly recommended for people with autoimmune issues, e.g. in the Wahls Protocol and I think the GAPS diet, AIP, etc. I really need to make it more often.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    You can put different herbs in it. I usually do the simple onion/celery/carrot combo, and fish out and trash the veg at the end. Pro tip: freeze bone broth in ice cube trays, one cube equals a quarter of a cup, you can use it in recipes instead of canned stuff.

I do the ice cube thing. Saves dealing with the meat jello stage it ends up in when in the fridge (meat jello is actually a good thing, but I find it unappetizing). I'm pretty sure the ice cubes are only 1oz, though, not 2 (which is what a quarter cup is).

I actually like chicken broth the best. I only do bones, water, and a little vinegar in the cook, then just salt it when I heat it up. Everything else I've tried doing doesn't turn out right, though I might try onions in the cook next time.

I just do it in this big crock pot I have on low for 24 or so hours.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's the episode I mentioned before
    In case you want to know why it's good for you and they discuss done options on how to make it.
    Podcast link.
    https://www.bulletproofexec.com/dr-kellyann-petrucci-bone-broth-to-regain-energy-reverse-aging-lose-weight-273/

Video link
    https://youtu.be/Pj0uHtXTWUw
  • motown13
    Options
    So any bone combination can be used? Right now I have about 1.5 pounds of beef marrow bones, plus some chicken bones that have been in my freezer for a while.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »

Good tip, but double check the size of your ice cube tray. I know that mine is 2T per cube, not 1/4C.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

Chicken broth actually becomes gelatinous after a somewhat short period of time, I cook mine on the stove top for usually between 2-3 hours.

I find that beef bones take much longer, usually at least 24hrs in the crockpot. And honestly, beef bones smell way worse than chicken bones (my husband says they smell like death LOL) so I usually cook my beef bones on the deck in a crockpot so the whole house doesn't stink :)
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    eh, works for me, even if my info on the cube size is wrong. I got zip-lock bags of bone broth cubes in the freezer, if I want a drink or if I need them for a recipe I pull some out and nuke 'em. Can't beat the convenience.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Bones, water, simmer, drink. How do you write that 200 different ways? LOL

Broth making is an art. Japanese ramen for example is judged not on the noodle but on the broth and there are many regional varieties. The shop with the best broth form lines for miles.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Here is additional info, website link is at end of post:

What’s all the hype about? For starters, as bones cook, loads of beneficial, naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals—calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus—seep into the broth.

Also, bones are technically about 50 percent protein—but because we humans can’t digest them, we can’t exactly nosh on them for extra nutrition! So throwing them into a broth with a few veggies and spices is the simplest way to extract their protein and amino acids. And specifically, protein derived from knuckle, patella, femur, and foot bones contains the good stuff that’s hard to find from any other source: collagen.

Bone broth typically cooks for anywhere from 12 to 48 hours, and during that time, collagen protein that gives bones their structure is broken down and turned into gelatin. Collagen and gelatin are essentially the same thing, with the same health benefits… But gelatin is what collagen turns into when it’s cooked. Unless you’d like to eat your bones raw (no thanks!) you’ll have to settle with ingesting gelatin.

When hot, bone broth looks just like chicken or vegetable stock. Once it’s cool, you can tell it’s the real thing, because the entire batch will turn viscous and firm. While it might not look very appetizing, gelatin is the secret ingredient that makes broth a true superfood. Yup, the same wiggly stuff that makes up J-e-l-l-o is the key promoter of healthy skin and joints, improved digestion, and more restful sleep—hence the cult-like obsession.

Along with a host of other benefits, gelatin also supplies plenty of amino acids necessary for muscular recovery and growth. Two in particular, glycine and proline, are used in the natural production of collagen in the body. They help rebuild connective tissue in joints like tendons and ligaments, which leads to less inflammation and decreased joint pain. Research suggests that getting gelatin in your diet helps build stronger bones. And thanks to its repairing effect on tissue structures, it may also help relieve arthritis and joint pain.

Gelatin also has some great beauty-boosting side effects. Collagen can improve skin’s elasticity and resilience, easing the severity of wrinkles and even helping wounds heal faster. In fact, eating more gelatin has been shown to protect against the signs of aging due to sun damage.

Happier joints and brighter skin are great, but for those with digestive issues bone broth is a godsend. Gelatin improves the integrity of the gut by restoring the lining of the stomach, an area that’s often damaged due to diseases like IBS or inflammation that comes with food intolerances like celiac disease.

https://thrivemarket.com/blog/bone-broth-made-easy-dont-miss-this-shortcut-to-the-superfood-of-the-moment

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I take a collagen/Gelatin powder from grass fed beef for the reasons mentioned in the above post. Obviously the real stuff will be better, so I'm going to invest in a pressure cooker!
  • motown13
    Options
    Well, I put it in my slow cooker at 6pm. Hopefully it will be done by noon, as I will be gone all day after that.