I may have figured out my slow weight loss for "me".

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
Pickles.

I have not been logging them due to their extremely low calories.... but I think it is the salt..... I gave up pickles for 3 days and the weight started coming off again. I was eating half of a Kosher pickle a day just because I love them so much.

I know the salt can cause water retention, but I had no idea it could affect me so much. In a couple of weeks, I will try eating pickles again and see what happens.

Replies

• kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hm interesting. I wasn't logging them either until I realized they had carbs...not sure why I didn't realize that before. And I would eat two a day easily for the sodium. But it didn't really slow my weight loss.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I did the stupidest thing ever, so much dumber than pickles, which may be my problem.

I've been putting fructose in my tea for like 10 days. Because it's super low carb / zero cal, ya know? Somehow my brain did not connect fructose to sugar...

No freaking wonder I've been having massive sugar cravings.
  • jeancrase
    jeancrase Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    oh no....that could be my problem too! I have been eating them like 'free food'
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I did the stupidest thing ever, so much dumber than pickles, which may be my problem.

I've been putting fructose in my tea for like 10 days. Because it's super low carb / zero cal, ya know? Somehow my brain did not connect fructose to sugar...

I wonder if this is my issue....I've been using Mio water flavoring....(runs off to check package)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options

I wonder if this is my issue....I've been using Mio water flavoring....(runs off to check package)

Mio is sucralose, I think. If you're stalling, I'd try cutting it.

I've reduced my sweeteners, and need to continue to do so. However, I bought a little tub from the bulk section labeled "FRUCTOSE", which of course had no ingredient label. 4g carbs per tsp, and I use 4 or 5 tsp a day.... :(
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Oh no!! I just find I drink way more water if it's flavored....I can't really tell if I'm in a stall or not since I just drank my life away on Saturday. Haha.
  • rachelrussell792197
    rachelrussell792197 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So is it possible to have too much salt? I'm losing weight soooooo slowly and I always wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options

Hard lesson learned but I did the same thing when I started!!! Thinking No sugar added pudding/jello would be ok... Big mistake, huge! Lol
  • ettaterrell
    Options

Yes... Learned that lesson to when flavoring my weekend beverage! Cravings like crazy on anything that has sweetness to it. I hardly get hungry if I'm off all that stuff, unfortunately I had a weekend get away a couple weekends ago and I haven't stopped the sweets since
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    So is it possible to have too much salt? I'm losing weight soooooo slowly and I always wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

I eat pickles every few days and it ever seems to effect me and I eat a ton of salt so idk if it can slow u down or not. What I know for fact slows me down is nuts, sweetness (causing my lots of hunger) peanut butter... And to much protein. I think the protein has something to do with the ways macros are done since I'm almost to goal now I've upped protein and lowered fats.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I tend to retain water when I don't get enough salt. Other than getting a little dehydrated, I have not ever hit a point of too much salt, @rachelrussell792197... Just FYI.