Low-er Carb-ers

Options
Blueberry09
Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
I've reduced my added sugar intake by eliminating a lot of processed foods but my carbs (and sugars) are sky high due to my love of bananas and apples.

I'm just wondering if those who have reduced their carbs have also eliminated fruit from their diets?

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to more berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries) if i want fruit personally; but still have an apple and a banana occasionally if I feel like one. I haven't eliminated any fruits really; I just consider bananas and pineapple and those types a treat as opposed to a staple :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Snooozie wrote: »
    I tend to stick to more berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries) if i want fruit personally; but still have an apple and a banana occasionally if I feel like one. I haven't eliminated any fruits really; I just consider bananas and pineapple and those types a treat as opposed to a staple :)

This is me too. And I cut back on bread a bit more, and make sure it's really hearty, high quality, high fiber bread.
    I still eat fruit. Some apples, but more berries. Bananas are a treat.
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    I still do berries - in my greek yogurt with pumpkin seeds. Very yummy!

I'm just concerned the bananas and apples might slow my progress. It's slow enough as it is. LOL
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I eat apples all year, usually every day. I eat other berries in season.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to eat all kinds of fruit but now stick to blueberries. I do love bananas and oranges, but they don't take up space in my fridge anymore.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've cut way back on fruit to keep my carbs low. Vegetables are more of a priority for me.
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed that they did lose weight more easily since lowering carbs? What about sugar, natural or "added"?
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    I experimented in February - I cut out all processed treats, all breads (no sandwiches or burgers - my favorites). I even cut out diet coke. Something was preventing me from losing weight - I wasn't gaining on my 'everything in moderation' diet, but I wasn't showing any losses either.

The first week I continued with apples and bananas so my net calories were very low (as was the fat) but carbs were high because of it.

I cut those fruits out the last three weeks and maintained about 25-30% carbs. I did manage to lose 5 pounds from the 1st to the 1st (with a less than stellar weekend when my mother was hospitalized - a few fast food meals) but the fluctuations returned with a vengeance even tho I hadn't really gone back to normal after March 1.

Now I'm not sure if it's because I was eating lower calories over all or if reducing the fruit carbs really had something to do with it?

So I'm just as confused as before my little experiment LOL Still 4.4 lbs down from Feb 1 so that's something I guess!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I experimented in February - I cut out all processed treats, all breads (no sandwiches or burgers - my favorites). I even cut out diet coke. Something was preventing me from losing weight - I wasn't gaining on my 'everything in moderation' diet, but I wasn't showing any losses either.

The first week I continued with apples and bananas so my net calories were very low (as was the fat) but carbs were high because of it.

I cut those fruits out the last three weeks and maintained about 25-30% carbs. I did manage to lose 5 pounds from the 1st to the 1st (with a less than stellar weekend when my mother was hospitalized - a few fast food meals) but the fluctuations returned with a vengeance even tho I hadn't really gone back to normal after March 1.

Now I'm not sure if it's because I was eating lower calories over all or if reducing the fruit carbs really had something to do with it?

So I'm just as confused as before my little experiment LOL Still 4.4 lbs down from Feb 1 so that's something I guess!

That's definitely something! Well done!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    JAGgirl47 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that they did lose weight more easily since lowering carbs? What about sugar, natural or "added"?

I lost 24 pounds in about 7 months and now in a very healthy weight range (though I may eventually lose 5 more vanity pounds, I'm not stressing about it). I don't eat bread any more (or rarely, maybe some wheat toast once a month if that). I eat just a very small amount of mashed potatoes and rice once a week. My carbs come from veggies and a little bit of fruit. I use stevia in my coffee and avoid sweets. Almost never eat sweets any more. I have found some low carb alternatives as desserts.
  • thechampion525
    thechampion525 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As soon as I reduced my sugar my weight decreased. In the past I ate my own cookies, coffeecake and ice cream on a regular basis. I still do eat treats but not as regularly. I don't crave sugar anymore and I think my stomach is shrinking from eating smaller meals. 17lbs down...needing another 15lb loss! Wish me luck!!!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    10 years ago, before perimenopause for sure, I did the low glycemic diet. I cut virtually all highly processed carbs. I did eat whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice, and I ate plenty of fruit. Sugar (in pastries, etc) was a special occasion treat only. I dropped like 25 lbs in two months. But I felt like I was working myself to death because I was cooking almost all my family's food from scratch, I had two young children and I was working two part time jobs. I was exhausted. And I couldn't eat anywhere but in my own home. No dinner parties, no church socials, no restaurants, take my food with me when visiting family, etc. It was no way to live! And as my kids got older, it became even more difficult to manage, as I was ending up at fast food establishments between school/kids sport practice/church/work/ball games, etc out of necessity (yes, I could have packed food for three meals EVERY DAY, etc, but I am not super woman!). Anyway, the weight flew back on.

So, at least before the hormones hit, I can definitely say that controlling carbs works.

I've not tried it since then, since family life continued to get even more hectic. I went back to work almost full time, kids schedules got heavier, and now the budget demands my using carbs to stretch my meat enough to afford to feed to nearly grown, really large and fit, active sons. So before perimenopause hit I managed to lose by just counting calories.

But that no longer seems to work.

Now I am very conscious of keeping my carbs to a moderate level, while keeping protein high. I also have eliminated most sugary treats, except for special occasions. But I would not consider myself low carb.

I am still having great difficulty losing. I just started a cut after sitting at maintenance for nearly four months. (I had to have a mental break after hitting a brick wall for so long--not months but years). I managed to "cut" nearly 3000 calories last week. Which should be nearly a pound. But I'm sitting right where I was. I'm hoping it will show up next week, since sometimes it seems to take a little longer to show up on the scale.

I guess if keeping a decent deficit doesn't work this time, I will just give up and try to not gain. Maybe I could go low carb, or low glycemic once the kids are out of the house. But hubby has a "delicate" digestive system, and all the whole grains of the low glycemic stuff are awful for him. (I think he has irritable bowel, but he has denied it for years and years and years.). So it is like his system can only handle the processed stuff.

Although I'm seeing some nice body changes and fitness gains from working out, I'm still pretty discouraged about the whole weight loss thing. I'm certainly following all this with interest.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Okay, the beep just got real.

When I joined MFP I weighed 135 (I'm 5'6") when I was peri-menopausal. I joined to "manage menopause" and have been doing pretty well. I reigned in the carbs a bit, I am trying to watch what I eat. This all went well for a few years after 10 years at maintenance. Then actual menopause hit. Then I got a new prescription, and had been using natural progesterone. And the scale ticked up a bit. I quit the prescription, and cut down on the progesterone.

I've only gained about 7Lbs, but DAMN! None of my business suits fit! I had to join hubs at a business dinner honoring him last night and NONE of my suits fit!

So. I'm in boot camp mode. I'm losing this 7Lbs, damn it.
    I'm going to lower carbs a bit more, and cut week day wine completely out. I know the week day wine is the culprit. At least part of it. It worked before, but isn't working now.

Wish me luck.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    lol sabine... luck being sent! I'm on the road to losing the 25lbs I regained in the year after I hit my goal weight, and the jump start for me was the same thing - I couldn't fit into any of the clothes I bought when I hit my goal weight.... they are all hanging in my closet and im reduced to pretty much one pair of old jeans right now!1 I refuse to buy new stuff at this weight, and hopefully have learned my lesson with flunking maintenance the first time!! I deleted all my old entries for the initial 60 lbs lost and have reset everything to 0 to start fresh... down 5 lbs since I started about 6 weeks ago... but feel more in control at the moment getting back to the basics which helped me succeed originally. but I wont give up me wine LOL. ever :D

I have no doubt you'll ditch those couple of pounds in no time and be rocking those outfits!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Snooozie wrote: »
    lol sabine... luck being sent! I'm on the road to losing the 25lbs I regained in the year after I hit my goal weight, and the jump start for me was the same thing - I couldn't fit into any of the clothes I bought when I hit my goal weight.... they are all hanging in my closet and im reduced to pretty much one pair of old jeans right now!1 I refuse to buy new stuff at this weight, and hopefully have learned my lesson with flunking maintenance the first time!! I deleted all my old entries for the initial 60 lbs lost and have reset everything to 0 to start fresh... down 5 lbs since I started about 6 weeks ago... but feel more in control at the moment getting back to the basics which helped me succeed originally. but I wont give up me wine LOL. ever :D

I have no doubt you'll ditch those couple of pounds in no time and be rocking those outfits!

5LBS down is awesome. You got this!
    It's so much slower these days. But we are more patient. I know for myself, if I'd only lost a pound a week when I first lost weight I would have gone mental. Now it's just the way it is.
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lol - loved that line about would have gone nuts back at the start and now...sooooo true !! Lived by that damn square piece of plastic and its beady eyes needle (aka the scale) now it's just about getting back to a weight where I feel good and healthy and happy with me, whatever number that turns out to be. And that includes getting back into my clothes lol.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Oh to lose a pound a week! I would love that. I started a cut 12 days ago, and I'm now UP just over a pound. So not fair. I'm going to give it some time-4-6 weeks, but if it doesn't work this time I'm giving up.
  • the_french_press
    the_french_press Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat berries almost every day and haven't had a problem. I think it's a personal trial and error thing.