Soul Bread is worth the trouble

Options
13»

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The link has two suggested whey proteins that tested well. Are you all using one of those two brands? I noticed in the Q&A below, it mentions that being an isolate is important rather than a concentrated powder.... Can't wait to check out what I have at home because this is tempting me something fierce!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have anything negative to say? :smiley:

I would have to go buy some things. But quite frankly, I've made several coconut flour replacements, which, while good, are too high in carb for my liking. This looks virtually guilt free!

only negative I've found is I can hardly keep out of it - and even though it is super low carb, it only stays that way if you don't eat the entire loaf haha!! It does seem to have kind of awakened carb cravings just a bit, so I think my answer to that is going to be instead of making it a dietary staple it will have to be a special occasions type of thing.
    The link has two suggested whey proteins that tested well. Are you all using one of those two brands? I noticed in the Q&A below, it mentions that being an isolate is important rather than a concentrated powder.... Can't wait to check out what I have at home because this is tempting me something fierce!

and yes, I use the Nature's Best IsoPure unflavored; it was on sale at Vitamin Shoppe a while back so I bought 2 tubs not knowing this was coming up my alley haha, but I'm glad now that I did!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My all liked it. I didn't try it but I'll make it for them again. They eat gluten free bread (celiac) and I am always on the lookout for better quality GF bread. There isn't much out there.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    So another question. How well does this function as 'bread'. Can you run it through a food processor and make it into crumbs that you can use to then 'bread' chicken or pork schnitzel? What about as crumb topping for casserole? French toast? Any experience using it for things like that?
  • cherilynnbailey
    cherilynnbailey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but I'm definitely going to try!!!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    camtosh wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making it in a bread machine? I have one that is gathering dust.... ;) would like to use it again!

I was going to say the same as NewSue - since there's no yeast it would be pretty pointless to use a bread machine... there is a "low carb" yeast bread recipe for the bread machine out there, it is not gluten or grain free though so I don't make it anymore, but it worked pretty well. Gabi's Low Carb Yeast Bread

Thanks, I tried a caraway rye loaf in the machine on the weekend with rye flour and Bob's Red Mill Low Carb mix (oat and rye flours mostly). Turned out ok, but still highish carb IMO: 12 gr per slice. My hubby ate most of it :)
    Need to try the no yeast one next.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Off to buy cream of tartar n xantham gum. I know I can get the latter but wonder what Dutch folk call the former- about to learn! Thanks for sharing... sounds fab!
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just received my isopure and xanthan gum from Amazon! Cant wait to make this for Easter Brunch. Hubby will be shocked that I am serving him 'bread'.
  • JessiokaFroka
    JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I finally made a loaf this afternoon- it's delicious! Very filling, too.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Soul Bread is officially BalmyD -approved. I just had my first slice of the end, and it was good! I used NOW foods whey protein isolate and Kiva xanthan gum. Also at the OPs suggestion, I used a full tsp of salt instead of a half tsp.I made the original recipe just to get a baseline. I'll report back tomorrow with how well it works for toast and peanut butter.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Toasted with peanut butter is a thumbs up. I'm especially impressed with the texture around the outside edge of the bread. I'm so pleased to have found this! Thank you OP!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I made it into buns a couple of days ago - well, I TRIED to! I halved the recipe, then greased six 2-cup glass Pyrex dishes and divided the batter/dough among them, baked 30 minutes in total. Unfortunately I forgot the cream of tartar! They were pretty flat and I think that has to do with it. Still absolutely delicious, but definitely not big enough to slice for a real bun!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    iaf0moz5vfyk.jpeg

Found a tweaked soul bread recipe. They substituted bacon fat for olive oil and used oat fiber.
    http://youtu.be/IUsFqRELdqQ

I tried this recipe and needless to say, it came out amazing. Won't lie as it is a calorie bomb per slice but it is very, very filling. I used it for my breakfast sandwich this morning. Sharp cheddar cheese, fried egg, bacon and grilled it with the leftover butter in the pan. Delicious!