Lab Results!

Options
Panda_Poptarts
Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Hi folks!

So I got my lab results back (finally!) and I have mixed feelings.

11/2015 Results:
  • A1C - 5.8
  • Cholesterol - 221 mg/dL (normal: <200)
  • Triglycerides - 169 mg/dL (normal: <150)
  • HDL- 77 mg/dL (normal: >40)
  • LDL - 110 mg/dL (normal: <100)

3/2016 Results:
  • A1C - 5.4
  • Cholesterol - 219 mg/dL (normal: <200)
  • Triglycerides - 123 mg/dL (normal: <150)
  • HDL- 52 mg/dL (normal: >40)
  • LDL - 142 mg/dL (normal: <100)

Naturally, I have questions. My doc doesn't want to treat for high cholesterol at this point, due to my age and my lifestyle. He thinks I'll be fine. That being said, he was pretty concerned (and confused!) that my HDL dropped while my LDL went up. He thought that this diet would, at the very least, have both raise.

Could these changes be a result of "mobilizing fat" as he put it? Are these results normal for ketosis (I'm in month 2ish). Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    There is no normal.

Most people see a drop in triglycerides because carbs contribute to their formation. A couple of people have seen them go up.

About 1/3 see LDL go up, 1/3 see LDL go down, and 1/3 see no change to LDL. It's probably only a danger if it goes WAY up (ApoE4 genotype).

HDL is usually a slow-moving marker. It tends to go up with SFA intake and exercise.

The "fat mobilization" due to weight loss seems kind of dubious to me. Most studies don't show the effect, but a few clinicians (notably Dr Davis of "Wheat Belly" fame) say it happens.

I'd give it more time. Nothing there to worry about IMO.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    HDL is usually a slow-moving marker. It tends to go up with SFA intake and exercise.

I'd give it more time. Nothing there to worry about IMO.

I'm surprised that my HDL changed so much in just 3 months. Do you think that's still okay? That's the thing my doc is most concerned about, which did incite some alarm in me. It seems strange to me that my saturated fat and exercise have both increased dramatically since 11/2015, yet the HDL dropped down by quite a bit.

I'm definitely going to give it more time. Due to my age and lifestyle, I declined medication treatment at this time, and he was hesitant to offer. He does, however, want me to see a dietician and reduce my fat intake. I refused that too. :wink:
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Remind me, was it you who accidentally overdosed on fructose? I'd guess that could do it.

If so, next time will be better. :)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Remind me, was it you who accidentally overdosed on fructose? I'd guess that could do it.

If so, next time will be better. :)

Totally was me. Oh, the shame! Lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My labs at a year were so much better too! Trust child, lol! :wink:
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    My labs at a year were so much better too! Trust child, lol! :wink:

I have absolutely no intention of changing.... well.... anything. Much to my doctor's dismay and horror. :wink: I imagine the labs will get better as I lose weight. Only seems logical!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My HDL went down 3 months after I started losing weight 6 months ago, but I wasn't doing Keto or high fat. I was doing no added sugar, no processed junk, and very limited grains though. However my latest test last week(which
    incl 8 weeks on LCHF/Keto), my HDL went back up. I do consume about half my fat calories as sat fat, which I've read increases the good cholesterol.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Was your baseline LP done before starting Keto?

Yes, I've had similar significant changes in HDL within only a 3 month span. I believe it is mostly attributed to fat type changes in my diet (saturated vs. mono) & changes in exercise capacity (attributed to beta antagonism/med). Other factors that can attribute to lower HDL include abstinence from drinking (before vs after keto). Fish oil can actually raise LDL up to 40% (another variable in your LP)

Triglycerides should remain really low in keto; mine were only 44mg/dL (I've been on keto for years though).
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I shared my test results recently and my HDL had gone down too, though I'm not stressing it at all as its still at an OK place.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Am I the only one that can never remember which is the good cholesterol and which is the "bad" Cholesterol? I finally thought that the H in HDL could stand for "Happy" therefore HDL was the good cholesterol, lol. I'm very interested in everyone's results, I love when these are posted. I'm pretty nervous about getting mine done because I'm on the cusp of high cholesterol already. Actually I'm pretty solidly there. But my mom's cholesterol has been high for years genetically, all my brothers and sisters as well, the most of us have the lifestyle that leaves the doctors scratching their heads as to why we would have high cholesterol. So it's just genetic.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I should have updated results myself in the next 4-6 weeks. It should be interesting, as I've dropped my coconut oil consumption by some, due to circumstance, not intent, but I've upped my animal fats consumption.

My overall went up (from 212 to 241), my trigs went down (from 96 to 76_, and both my HDL (45 to 50) and LDL (148-176 calculated - measured was 164) went up. But as I'm actively losing weight, I knew the LDL and overall would go up, as "free" cholesterol" in the blood increases due to burning fats during active weight loss.

They say before you get worried about numbers too much, maintain a stable weight for 3-6 months prior to testing.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This concerns me, because I have always had awesome numbers on every lab test there is. I'm worried that that will change on this diet. My test results can't really get better than they were, so if they change, they'd have to change for the worse. It's a pretty big leap of faith for me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    This concerns me, because I have always had awesome numbers on every lab test there is. I'm worried that that will change on this diet. My test results can't really get better than they were, so if they change, they'd have to change for the worse. It's a pretty big leap of faith for me.

@fileshiny Here's the thing. Much like any change, IN THE MIDDLE OF SOMETHING, THINGS ALWAYS GET WEIRD. They may get temporarily worse, but traditional standards, but when you get closer to goal, they'll be awesome. Try reading the book "Cholesterol Clarity" by Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eric Westman for some great info to understand this.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@fileshiny Here's the thing. Much like any change, IN THE MIDDLE OF SOMETHING, THINGS ALWAYS GET WEIRD. They may get temporarily worse, but traditional standards, but when you get closer to goal, they'll be awesome. Try reading the book "Cholesterol Clarity" by Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eric Westman for some great info to understand this.

Which goal are you referring to?
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Goal weight
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Yes, as goal weight - or really any goal. Once you get to a pause point, or maintenance stage. Once you get closer to where you're going on all fronts, you'll have better numbers...
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Was your baseline LP done before starting Keto?

Yep, November labs were pre-keto. The fish oil is an interesting one. Maybe I should quit taking the krill oil :)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    I should have updated results myself in the next 4-6 weeks. It should be interesting, as I've dropped my coconut oil consumption by some, due to circumstance, not intent, but I've upped my animal fats consumption.

My overall went up (from 212 to 241), my trigs went down (from 96 to 76_, and both my HDL (45 to 50) and LDL (148-176 calculated - measured was 164) went up. But as I'm actively losing weight, I knew the LDL and overall would go up, as "free" cholesterol" in the blood increases due to burning fats during active weight loss.

They say before you get worried about numbers too much, maintain a stable weight for 3-6 months prior to testing.

Yeah, my weight is so NOT stable. Lol. Wouldn't want it to be! :smiley: Sounds like we're both in kind of the same boat. I'm not too concerned at this point.

My doctor has persuaded me to see a nutritionist so they can tell me to eat more carbs. I'm going, but I'll be giggling all the way.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Take the leap.

Most folks have seen that their crappy lab results improve with time. Everything balances out!
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Take the leap.

Most folks have seen that their crappy lab results improve with time. Everything balances out!

My lab results were good the last time I got them down in January for a wellness thing at work. I get them redone in June. I'm very curious to see what they say.