Medication Changes --- Holy Smokes

Options
DLDzioba
DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
So I finally got a new doctor to help me with my diabetes. I fell off the wagon hard for nearly a year. My a1c was just under 8. We spoke about my previous doctor and previous treatments. After my first doctor retired I’d gone to the doctor he goes to. I did not like him at all. I had insurance issues and had to be put on Ongliza rather than Januvia. The Ongliza wasn’t working as well and my insurance switched again and the price I had to pay went from $5 to $90.

My new doctor agreed with me that I should be on Metformin she also prescribed Victoza and some blood pressure medicine, which she said was to protect my kidneys.

She was also pretty upset neither of my previous doctors had sent me to a diabetes educator. Though, she was pretty impressed with my knowledge. Thank you internet. As always we talked about my need to lose weight. She gave me lots on information and warned me against white carbs.

I started the Victoza and the BP meds Thursday, (Metformin has some pretty bad side effects for the first two weeks and I was going camping this weekend) and even just that my fasting sugars went from 170s to 110s. Holy *kitten* what a difference there is.

Today my fasting sugar was 90! 90! I've not seen double digits in I don't know how long.

Looking forward to seeing what this new chapter brings me. I feel a lot more confident in my new doctor’s ability to help me manage my diabetes and I love that she is a cheerleader.

Replies

• MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    DLDzioba wrote: »
    So I finally got a new doctor to help me with my diabetes. I fell off the wagon hard for nearly a year. My a1c was just under 8. We spoke about my previous doctor and previous treatments. After my first doctor retired I’d gone to the doctor he goes to. I did not like him at all. I had insurance issues and had to be put on Ongliza rather than Januvia. The Ongliza wasn’t working as well and my insurance switched again and the price I had to pay went from $5 to $90.

My new doctor agreed with me that I should be on Metformin she also prescribed Victoza and some blood pressure medicine, which she said was to protect my kidneys.

She was also pretty upset neither of my previous doctors had sent me to a diabetes educator. Though, she was pretty impressed with my knowledge. Thank you internet. As always we talked about my need to lose weight. She gave me lots on information and warned me against white carbs.

I started the Victoza and the BP meds Thursday, (Metformin has some pretty bad side effects for the first two weeks and I was going camping this weekend) and even just that my fasting sugars went from 170s to 110s. Holy *kitten* what a difference there is.

Today my fasting sugar was 90! 90! I've not seen double digits in I don't know how long.

Looking forward to seeing what this new chapter brings me. I feel a lot more confident in my new doctor’s ability to help me manage my diabetes and I love that she is a cheerleader.

great news. good for you
  • Goul22
    Goul22 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is great news!! When you are on the right medication for you, and you have a really good doctor, you're in business! :) Amazing feeling to see fasting numbers drop, isn't it? Congrats! And here's to you and good health :)
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I was forced to change doctors last Spring and was not happy about that. But it has worked to my advantage. My new doc is very responsive and proactive. I have a whole different med regime and things are looking better for me. Of course, I have to disciplined and cooperative. I still haven't found that magic cake diet, but at least I am actually feeling better for my efforts.
    Good luck to you.