I can have "cheat" days if grain free! Can you?

110challenge
110challenge Posts: 195 Member
I've been doing keto for 8.5 months and rarely cheat. On the few occasions that I have had carby days I've felt like I was hit by a truck for at least 24 hours. I have always cheated with some sort of grain, and have often wondered if I would feel quite as badly if it was veggie carbs etc.
Last night on a double date we went for frozen yogurt unexpectedly and I decided to indulge... In easily 1 cup of Menchies (frozen yogurt) with some dark chocolate chips.

I'm a smidge tired today but it was a late night, i feel pretty great! I AM finding my cravings are rocketing (rare for me) but I'm not hungry and don't feel like I have the flu. Win!!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    No, I can't cheat. It all makes me feel horrible and sends my cravings out of control.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Cheating got me to 350 plus pounds. Why bother?
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    It's great that you are so in-tuned with your body to know what foods make you feel poorly. For me, a cheat is just not worth it. I feel like I am "cheating" my health and I just don't want to that.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Amen @DAM5412 , I feel like I'm truly hurting myself if I have cheat days. If my body and brain don't get keto, then I'm useless to my family and friends, my coworkers, and myself.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I find compromises or things that fit my macros. If I start that slippery slope, I'm in trouble, no matter how I do it! My body is that of an addict, a taste of sugar and such, and all the cravings slam back! Hence me having to fight back from all my nonsense over the holidays...
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    @KnitOrMiss, yes it's definitely a slippery slope. You have been shared many of your stories/lessons learned, so I know the one thing you do really well is FIGHT for what's best for yourself.
  • KnitOrMiss
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss, yes it's definitely a slippery slope. You have been shared many of your stories/lessons learned, so I know the one thing you do really well is FIGHT for what's best for yourself.

@DAM5412 Thank you.

What's really funny about this is that "I NEVER USED TO BE THAT PERSON."

I really am coming to love that it comes more naturally to me now... One day, one bite, at a time, right?
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Yes! I can cheat one day a week. I agree about the grains too. I don't purposely try to include a cheat day, just if the situation arises. I have found that after a few years (minus a few months off due to the excuse of my pregnancies) of this WOE that myself control is pretty darn good, if and when I were to start having cravings for chocolate or pastas. I also bounce back into keto very quickly.
    As everyone always says, your milage may very.
  • Nifesie
    Nifesie Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2016
    What is the point of cheating? Isn't this way of eating supposed to be getting away from foods that aren't good for our bodies and eating what's best? Why take a "cheat" day? That would be like someone who is quitting smoking or drinking to take a celebratory smoke/drink because they've made it xyz amount of days without smoking/drinking.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Nifesie wrote: »
    What is the point of cheating? Isn't this way of eating supposed to be getting away from foods that aren't good for our bodies and eating what's best? Why take a "cheat" day? That would be like someone who is quitting smoking or drinking to take a celebratory smoke/drink because they've made it xyz amount of days without smoking/drinking.

Some folks are not as strong as others, some folks are bolstered by the occasional dabble into danger territory, etc.

Yes, we all know these foods are bad for us or we wouldn't be here. Also, we all have some sorts of issues with food or we'd never have taken a step off plan since birth. Nutritional education is behind the times. Those without metabolic challenges do not suffer the same ills from the same foods, etc.

Plus, add in food addictions, eating disorders, and stress/boredom eating, and you end up with a volatile combination.

That being said, pretty much everyone realizes that cheating has a negative connotation, and they really probably shouldn't do it, but most of us hold the theory that life must be lived, and that generally means that if we don't have direct painful consequences, sometimes we will take a step or 3 off plan to enjoy life with family and friends... We generally try to minimize the impact and all that.

Personally, I went off plan at Thanksgiving (the week) and had no issues getting back on plan. I did the same for Christmas (3-4 weeks, due to vacation and weird timing), and it bombed me.

I finally got back on plan then had an insane binge weekend about 2 weeks in with no apparent trigger.

I've been back on target since. If I minimize the impact, I'm generally okay. If I go full-tilt-boogie, I'm dead in the water...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I also find compromises or things that fit my macros.

I've been experimenting the last few weeks since I hit maintenance, since I'm not sure yet if I want to stay full keto for life or some other variation of LCHF. on our recent trip I overindulged in sugar, not so much grains, and my joint aches came back. For right now I've upped calories from 1350 to 1650 and carbs from 10% to 15%. I mostly want to use those to add more veggies (Wahls Protocol recs for my MS) but I do allow some treats as well. Portion control and quality are key there, e.g. I'm realizing milk chocolate tends to lead to more cravings than dark chocolate.
  • Nifesie
    Nifesie Posts: 25 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Some folks are not as strong as others, some folks are bolstered by the occasional dabble into danger territory, etc.

Yes, we all know these foods are bad for us or we wouldn't be here. Also, we all have some sorts of issues with food or we'd never have taken a step off plan since birth. Nutritional education is behind the times. Those without metabolic challenges do not suffer the same ills from the same foods, etc.

Plus, add in food addictions, eating disorders, and stress/boredom eating, and you end up with a volatile combination.

That being said, pretty much everyone realizes that cheating has a negative connotation, and they really probably shouldn't do it, but most of us hold the theory that life must be lived, and that generally means that if we don't have direct painful consequences, sometimes we will take a step or 3 off plan to enjoy life with family and friends... We generally try to minimize the impact and all that.

Personally, I went off plan at Thanksgiving (the week) and had no issues getting back on plan. I did the same for Christmas (3-4 weeks, due to vacation and weird timing), and it bombed me.

I finally got back on plan then had an insane binge weekend about 2 weeks in with no apparent trigger.

I've been back on target since. If I minimize the impact, I'm generally okay. If I go full-tilt-boogie, I'm dead in the water...

I understand eating disorders. I have one. I've also been told this way of eating helps eventually suppress those urges, cravings, addictions, et cetera because you deny the brain the chemical necessary to cause those things. So just by introducing the chemicals back into the body, you just fan the flame of dependency, cravings, et cetera.

To each their own, I suppose, but it just seems counter-productive.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I understand eating disorders. I have one. I've also been told this way of eating helps eventually suppress those urges, cravings, addictions, et cetera because you deny the brain the chemical necessary to cause those things. So just by introducing the chemicals back into the body, you just fan the flame of dependency, cravings, et cetera.

To each their own, I suppose, but it just seems counter-productive.

@Nifesie For most of us, it is exactly that - counter-productive. But admittedly, it isn't for everyone. So, to each their own. If you can do it, sure, go ahead. If it's a slippery slope, caveat emptor. If it totally destroys you, work to find what you need (motivation, fear, determination, etc.) to keep you on the path of health.

and for me, a binger, I find that those chemicals get suppressed in waves. It might go away for 9 months, and then the smell or exposure to a trigger item, or a stress/boredom point, or whatever, it might rear it's ugly head again. That's when plans are so important!

Good luck to you.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    @KnitOrMiss thank you. I couldn't have said it better. I have been experimenting with keto since 2012. I'm by no means an expert but I know my body and my strengths. I have gone months without a cheat. I'm no longer trying to lose weight but to build muscle. Goal is 15-18% body fat. I continue to make gains to my goal with an occasional ice cream with my children. I no longer have fear of giving in or giving up due to an unfriendly keto treat. I'm committed to this WOE.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    I'm just like an addict with sugar and carbs. No joke. If I go off plan, it will be for years at a time with 20-50 lbs of weight gain. Than I need to wrestle myself back and that's like herding cats. It's so much easier for me to just stay on plan and incorporate Keto-friendly goodies when I want a little something extra.