There is no such thing as a "stall"

Options

Replies

• ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wonderful to see your results and your positive mindset. It's very encouraging.
  • ilovethecamp32
    ilovethecamp32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We need to remember that fat weighs less than muscle. When we lose 4 lbs of fat, it really shows on our body!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    We need to remember that fat weighs less than muscle. When we lose 4 lbs of fat, it really shows on our body!

I think that is misleading. 4 lbs of muscle weighs the same as 4 lbs fat. Muscle is denser, therefore smaller.

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You are looking great!!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I can see your point that the volume of 4 pounds of fat is greater than the volume of 4 pounds of lean muscle. Thanks
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress @Sunny_Bunny_ ! Thank you for sharing.

I'm curious to know all the details you track!
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i just lost a cousin to ALS, just yesterday. he had been suffering for 7 years. my grandmother died of ALS in 1988.

our health is about more than the scale and while i am the WORST at being a scale-watcher, i also know that mental health, cardiovascular health & general wellbeing is of utmost importance.

thanks for your post.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Great read. I also started in May 2015 and enjoyed every bit of this journey and the reshaping process while the scale is slowing down --and NSVs.
    Great job.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself all the time that if I feel good, I'm not outgrowing my pants, etc., that eventually my weight HAS to catch up... I'd rather lose inches than pounds any day....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Oh boy! Well, I have done week long stretches of recording blood and urine ketones and comparing them to what I ate up til that point in the day and stuff like that. Also track my sleep, have done that for about 2 years. I would compare how well I slept to how active I was that day, but there's no pattern there for me. I was even curious about how MFP tells you "what you'll weigh" in 5 weeks when you close out your diary. I average up each full week and compared it to my actual average weight. Surprise, surprise! Calorie math says I should weigh 3 to 4 pounds less! Just another thing that sets us up for feeling like we've failed. I used to weigh every single thing I ate, but got to just guessing on entries because I'm going to wean off tracking all together soon anyway.
    I track all the info my scale provides and average body fat and muscle from that info. I even log the vitamins I take even if they have no nutritional value.
    In my earlier and scale obsessed days, I would use those calculators that would estimate how much you "would" lose by eating a certain amount of calories and would compare my actual loss to it to try and find the magic amount of calories that would actually make it happen. That's why I also weighed everything for a time. I mean everything! It never matched up.
    That's how I know how bad the scale weight thing can be. I've come full circle from being completely obsessed with "making" scale weight loss happen, to realizing that it doesn't even matter in the short game. It will happen when it happens and not a second sooner.
  • jayfo1994
    jayfo1994 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. It is very helpful. My scale doesn't move either and it makes me question my work I'm putting into the gym, the meticulous weighing of food, the dessert skipping and the amount of money I'm shelling out for the gym membership which I've actually gone to love (well one NSV there). I keep asking myself why I keep going along with all this work when I'm not seeing the scale move as fast as I had hoped. ARGGGG!!
    I'll be patient and keep this going a little longer. Hopefully my old summer clothes will fit me by wintertime at this pace :#
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    jayfo1994 wrote: »
    Thank you for your post. It is very helpful. My scale doesn't move either and it makes me question my work I'm putting into the gym, the meticulous weighing of food, the dessert skipping and the amount of money I'm shelling out for the gym membership which I've actually gone to love (well one NSV there). I keep asking myself why I keep going along with all this work when I'm not seeing the scale move as fast as I had hoped. ARGGGG!!
    I'll be patient and keep this going a little longer. Hopefully my old summer clothes will fit me by wintertime at this pace :#

It's a tough battle to win when trying to get our heads straight about the scale. I still fight it everyday but, I've come a long way since when I started.
    I'm very happy this post helped in some way. We don't need to beat ourselves up over things that are very minimally in our control.

Developing a love for exercise is a great NSV! I wish I could do that! :smile:
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You guys have no idea the details I track! lol
    I'm a data junkie!
    I just always feel so bad when someone gets discouraged because of the scale. I know what that feels like and I know how I overcame it and just want everyone to be able appreciate their efforts and not have their celebrations stolen from them because of expectations associated with scale weight.

My scale's been the same for 2 weeks now, and I'm still a newbie at keto. However, my body fat's down 1.5% so I figure something's happening (even though I KNOW the body fat percentage on my lying liar scale is the biggest liar of all, and completely dependent on hydration levels.)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Oh boy! Well, I have done week long stretches of recording blood and urine ketones and comparing them to what I ate up til that point in the day and stuff like that. Also track my sleep, have done that for about 2 years. I would compare how well I slept to how active I was that day, but there's no pattern there for me. I was even curious about how MFP tells you "what you'll weigh" in 5 weeks when you close out your diary. I average up each full week and compared it to my actual average weight. Surprise, surprise! Calorie math says I should weigh 3 to 4 pounds less! Just another thing that sets us up for feeling like we've failed. I used to weigh every single thing I ate, but got to just guessing on entries because I'm going to wean off tracking all together soon anyway.
    I track all the info my scale provides and average body fat and muscle from that info. I even log the vitamins I take even if they have no nutritional value.
    In my earlier and scale obsessed days, I would use those calculators that would estimate how much you "would" lose by eating a certain amount of calories and would compare my actual loss to it to try and find the magic amount of calories that would actually make it happen. That's why I also weighed everything for a time. I mean everything! It never matched up.
    That's how I know how bad the scale weight thing can be. I've come full circle from being completely obsessed with "making" scale weight loss happen, to realizing that it doesn't even matter in the short game. It will happen when it happens and not a second sooner.

I think at lot of this uncertainty and inconsistency stuff comes from the allowable error % in all food tracking and nutritional data... I mean the FDA allows what 20-25% error in calorie, fat, carbs, etc.? Plus, metabolism functions are so complicated that even folks who've done biometric and hydrostatic tests only have a better chance at understanding things, but the human body is made to essentially auto-correct, so even our calorie needs change all the time... That's a LOT of room for error and/or discrepancy.
  • jenjim2021
    jenjim2021 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great post! I really needed to read this today. I'm going to have to take the before shots no matter how much I don't want to. It's the best way to see a difference.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    You guys have no idea the details I track! lol
    I'm a data junkie!
    I just always feel so bad when someone gets discouraged because of the scale. I know what that feels like and I know how I overcame it and just want everyone to be able appreciate their efforts and not have their celebrations stolen from them because of expectations associated with scale weight.

My scale's been the same for 2 weeks now, and I'm still a newbie at keto. However, my body fat's down 1.5% so I figure something's happening (even though I KNOW the body fat percentage on my lying liar scale is the biggest liar of all, and completely dependent on hydration levels.)

How do I calculate my body fat?? Are you doing it with a professional or yourself?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

@Sunny_Bunny_ it sounds like you have fully arrived at how to eat for better health. Counting/weighing has its place in the learning process just like training wheels on a kid's first bike. All you now have to do is more of the same for the rest of your life.

I hope others come to understand calorie math is not based on the science of what is happening inside of our bodies. Many years ago on the farm I realized farm animals with full access to quality feed do not become obese or develop food related illnesses as a rule.

Thanks for all of your encouragement.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    i just lost a cousin to ALS, just yesterday. he had been suffering for 7 years. my grandmother died of ALS in 1988.

our health is about more than the scale and while i am the WORST at being a scale-watcher, i also know that mental health, cardiovascular health & general wellbeing is of utmost importance.

thanks for your post.

@MyPrimalLife sorry to hear about your loses to ALS. We lost a friend recently to ALS. I did a lot of reading on the subject and there seems to be no magic cure so prevention of general mental and physical health is important to all of us when it comes to disease prevention.
  • socalgardengal
    socalgardengal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What an awesome post! You are doing great Sunny :)
    Thank you for sharing your journey and tips. I'm on day 37 and am learning so much about this WOE.... so happy with myself for sticking with it