What do you think of Statins (or HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors) for lowering cholesterol?

2»

Replies

• Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    A few years ago a Doctor that I was going to had taken a test to see if my cholesterol was high because I had been over weight for some time. When the test results came back he wanted me to take a statin, I do not remember which one but my answer was this, " Give me two weeks to get my cholesterol down and if I can not get it down then I will try the medication." I went home and I eat so many vegetables for lunch and dinner and in between, then I eat oat meal with a banana for breakfast every morning. I STOPPED eating cheese and ice cream. No one told me what to eat and not eat I just used my common sense and wait with it. When the Doctor did the second test my cholesterol was normal. I had eaten a big bowl of ice cream the night before I went into the Doctors office when the first test was taken so I think that played a part in my test results because I have not had another bad test result sense then. Keep in mind I also eat other health foods in that time not just the veggies and oat and fruit. I hope this helps. :))
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,204 Member
    Best of luck to you Batman! Hope all is well.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    I hope we hear from Batman soon.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Me too
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Checking in to see if Batman has any good news for us.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    I just saw a post from him, he just got home from the hospital, is sore, but doing well.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    I just saw a post from him, he just got home from the hospital, is sore, but doing well.

Thanks, good to hear that he is doing well.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Well he posted a 26 minute walk, so he must be doing pretty good!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    That's Batman for 'ya!!!!! Thank goodness he's okay!!!!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,204 Member
    Good to know, thanks for the update, Bill!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Glad to hear that he's home and doing well.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Yes, glad he is home and appears to be doing well.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Hoping Batman is still doing well and by now fighting fit.

A few years ago I was called into the Dr's after having a routine blood test to say my cholesterol levels were 7.0 I think it was. I was quite horrified at this as all the contributing factors such as genetics, smoking and so on were not there in the family. My Dr was great saying that he always does at least 3 tests to allow for all the variables. I said although I ate fairly healthily, I would try even harder and have another test done in 3 months. 3 months later it had gone up to over 8.0 and the Dr had a hard time calming me down. He said it was obviously not my diet that was the problem and could be many other factors such as stress etc. He also told me but I can't remember the reasons, that it is common for athletes such as marathon runners to have high cholesterol. Maybe someone can remind me why this is. By then I was trying all manner of herbal and natural remedies and we agreed we would leave it a few months before having another. That is now probably several years. I am reluctant to have another one as although I know he won't force me to have something I don't want (he is very good that way), it is a concern. I have toyed with the idea of asking to see one of those proper genetic counsellors to see what they say and if they think it is a concern after going over my history etc. But is there any point if I am going to 'take my chances' in any case? I have enough other health conditions to contend with without the worry of side effects from statins. On a different note. My late mother for decades had a very high heart rate. Resting it would easily be 150+ bpm and she was only 5.5 stone wet through (she had ribs and a lung missing due to a thoracaplasty in her 30's, hence the low weight). As well as her other health issues she lived into her 70's when the medics thought she would be lucky if she saw 35. Don't get me wrong, should I have a heart attack and survive and they recommended statins I would then probably take them. I know in the case where there has actually been heart problems then it is recommended. However, I have read articles that if you haven't, then 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'!.

Thoughts?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2016
    I do not fundamentally distrust big pharma because I have relied on two medications for years, but with regard to the statins the drug companies and the medical professionals are wrong. My father has nerve damage from the years he was on lipitor. The alternative meds (red rice yeast and so on) that mimic the statins have the same side effects because they essentially are statins.
    The scientific connection between heart disease and cholesterol is weak.
  • cryptobrit
    edited March 2016
    I read that the hype about red rice yeast was untrue as well. I did have the name of what was supposed to be a totally natural statin and now can't find it. It was the only one I was convinced might be okay. No doubt though if available in whatever form, it would be expensive. Wish I could remember what it was now. Many other supplements also have been promoted as bringing it down, but it is hard to know which companies pharma or alternative are just seeing pound signs. Can you tell I am a bit cynical over this :-O
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    I've got high cholesterol but its genetic as all my other blood lipid panel is fine and I've been tested extensively. FYI, I've survived two major heart attacks about 18mths ago so I'm one of those that while I was in the hospital for almost a month was put on statins. The pain they caused was not worth it and my cardiologist has since taken me off them. My husband is still on Lipitor and now has been found to have type 2 diabetes which is one of the possible outcomes of statins. It has to be your decision as to whether you take or not and some people have no side effects and others suffer terribly.
  • cryptobrit
    Thank you for that heart2health. That couldn't have been a pleasant experience at all, and I am sorry you had to go through that. It is indeed a hard decision. Like I said, I have done nothing the last few years as I don't need any more side effects in addition to my existing health problems. Hoping the adapted exercise I have been doing will have helped.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    I love my doctor, b/c she does not want to put any of her patients on any medications unless absolutely necessary. My biggest issues are low good cholesterol and way high triglycerides. This is the only thing that helps: Coromega (a superconcentrated fish oil sold at GNC). Other OTC fish oil capsules didn't do squat. This stuff looks like a ketchup packet filled with orange yogurt. It brings both of my issues under control to where we've stopped potentially talking about taking statins. Coromega is OTC, but I'd recommend bringing it up with your doctor. Also, doctor says it protects eyesight and joints, an added benefit for me.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,063 Member
    I've been on Statins for two years now since my heart attack, and have had no side effects. As a male in my late 50's, I'm the subset for who they are most effective. I'd much prefer to take no drugs, but I've accepted I'll be on these and a daily aspirin till the big one comes, or a hobby kills me. I was fit, strong and healthy when I had my heart attack in 2012, so all I could change was decrease stress ( dropped one job, no longer fire chief) and exercise daily and seriously. And take my drugs like a good boy.