Stalled weight loss?

Options
Hi A.S. gang,

Do you know (or do you find anecdotally) that weight loss tends to “stall” more easily for A.S. patients?

I’ve been stalled for a few weeks, even though most days I eat within 5% or so of my daily calories (and, frequently, just beneath the stated amount of daily calories). I exercise 2-4 times a week, and most days I drink plenty of water.

I’ve lost about 10 pounds total — still about 40 pounds from my goal weight.

Any help or advice?

Thanks,
Ed

Replies

• PetiteTattoo
    PetiteTattoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ed

After torturing myself with anorexia in my late teens / early twenties, I'm not sure if my subsequent yo-yo-ing of weight loss, weight gain (and repeat) is a function of the A.S. or more a function of the punishment I dealt to my body in my younger years.

I stopped focusing on calories, truly - my food diary is public. This time, I completely changed what I eat and make sure I eat regularly - I consulted a dietitian the last time I tried losing weight and to my surprise, I wasn't eating enough. Nor was I eating early enough in the day. My metabolism wasn't "kicking in" until I ate way too much for lunch and was eating all the wrong things (for me).

I'm not much into exercising - if I overdo, I have a lot of pain. Cervical spinal stenosis limits what exercising I can actually do. I certainly can't do high impact or rapid movements. Due to chronic de-innervation with atrophy in some muscle groups, weights really aren't my friend, either. I'm looking into joining a gym that has a pool, as swimming is supposed to be very helpful for A.S. There's also a time to be still - so I'm looking to go back to yoga (no crazy poses). Breath control lessens anxiety, which for some leads to mindless eating (guilty) :)

This time, my focus is on clean eating. 95% of what I eat, I've made myself from fresh foods. It's a real eye opener. I don't know if it would help someone else, but I've found for me (living with multiple autoimmune issues), this really is the way to eat. I'm hopeful that this new way of eating, which as an unexpected side effect has me eating things I thought were icky and now I love, becomes a glorious new habit in short order. I'm just so darned excited to cook and eat now. It really is a pleasurable experience. I've lost 10 lbs and my joints feel so much better. I have 34 to go, I think, but I'm looking forward to the journey.

Not really advice, more of a suggestion for you to consider. I'm not sure how you're eating now but, if you're not clean eating, it might be helpful for you.
  • nekomeishi
    Options
    Hi Ed,

Depending on what you're taking, some of your stall may be medication-related.

I have also been having an incredibly difficult time losing. In my case, however, it appears to be linked to the content of what I eat more than the caloric intake. The higher the carb content, the harder it is to lose - doesn't really matter how many calories. Have you read Carol Sinclair's book on the link between starch consumption and AS? I'm trying to cut starches out now (and I do feel better without them), but it can be hard to make the time for food prep. Just my 2 cents.
  • laurawalker357
    laurawalker357 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I hate going to rhumatoligist and having to step on scale thankfully he understands I hate this disease. How ever the only thing that helps me lose is calorie restriction.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi ed. I can fully understand this plight. I lost 50+ pounds only to have it ease back on over the past 2 years because general exercises cause pain and i love food.