March Q and A thread

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    jmule24, I'm not an expert in bench pressing, but I do notice your left arm lifting faster than your right. This could be a strength imbalance; doing unilateral movements would help (DB bench press rather than BB for instance).
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Sounds about right, 4-6 months is pretty normal for newbie gainz to skyrocket. You can also get a similar effect even as an established lifter when you first start doing a new lift -- I only added deadlifts after lifting for several years, and I was able to add a couple hundred pounds in just a couple months, though most of that gain was learning proper technique (which I still struggle with). Same principle would apply if tomorrow I tried doing Olympic cleans for the first time.

Thanks! So does that mean I should accept where I'm at until I'm done actively losing? Any way to make some kind of progress in a deficit? I guess I just don't know what I'm looking/shooting for.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A coworker just told me he started jogging and is gaining muscle...from jogging...ha? Am I missing something?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    A coworker just told me he started jogging and is gaining muscle...from jogging...ha? Am I missing something?

The only scenario I could imagine would be going from completely sedentary to jogging and in that case I'd only suspect a short term training effect.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to wrap my head over his comment, he was so serious. My thought, he indicated that he lost 10 lbs therefore I'm assuming he lost the fat covering his muscles which are now visible, hence his theory that he gained muscle. And now time to move on - Happy Spring.
  • nossmf
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »
    Thanks! So does that mean I should accept where I'm at until I'm done actively losing? Any way to make some kind of progress in a deficit? I guess I just don't know what I'm looking/shooting for.

By "progress" are you looking to make your muscles bigger during a deficit? Extremely difficult to accomplish, but possible. Are you trying to get stronger or lift heavier (NOT necessarily the same thing) during a deficit? Much more doable, especially if you're still in the glow of noobie gains and/or learning proper lifting technique.
  • nossmf
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    I've been trying to wrap my head over his comment, he was so serious. My thought, he indicated that he lost 10 lbs therefore I'm assuming he lost the fat covering his muscles which are now visible, hence his theory that he gained muscle. And now time to move on - Happy Spring.

This would be my guess.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the jogging thing, can someone please explain. It seems to me that moving weight through space should build muscle, even if the weight moving is body weight not body+extra weight. Why wouldn't there be muscle building from jogging?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I don't understand the jogging thing, can someone please explain. It seems to me that moving weight through space should build muscle, even if the weight moving is body weight not body+extra weight. Why wouldn't there be muscle building from jogging?

It depends on whether or not jogging represents an increase in training stimulus compared to what was previously being done.

It is also necessary to increase said training stimulus to further drive adaptations. In the context of weight lifting we do this by adding more resistance and increasing total workload.

In the context of jogging the same does not really occur aside from possibly in the very beginning with a sedentary individual.
  • nossmf
    Options

Doing pullups or pushups will absolutely build muscle. But note the direction in motion: these are working against gravity. Jogging is working perpendicular to gravity, as in gravity pulls down while you jog sideways. While there is a small amount of pushing against gravity with every step taken, the effect is considerably smaller than when doing calisthenics. This is why, as side steel pointed out, there will be some small gain at first simply by starting to do ANY exercise after living a sedentary lifestyle, but not typically over the long haul.

Now sprinting is a different animal, since you are using explosive force to propel yourself forwards. Tons of muscle potential compared to a slower, steady pace. This is one of the reasons why Olympic sprinters have such huge muscles while marathoners are generally extremely lean. That plus caloric expenditure, of course.

(Note I said slower, steady above, but I did NOT say "easier"...anybody trying to keep up the pace of world-class marathoners would be hard-pressed to maintain it for more than a mile or two, let alone 26+. But comparing an elite marathon speed of 13 mph vs a gold-medal sprinter speed of 27 mph, you can see one speed is definitely slower than the other!)
  • mrp56839
    Options
    Can I submit one more dumb question for March or have it met my quota? ;)

What is the difference between gaining strength and gaining muscle?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Can I submit one more dumb question for March or have it met my quota? ;)

What is the difference between gaining strength and gaining muscle?

Strength has a large neurological component as well as a technical component depending on how strength is measured.

You can get stronger by becoming more efficient.
  • nossmf
    Options
    If you gain muscle, you will also gain strength from having more muscle fibers pulling together. But you can gain strength at any time; gaining muscle, maintaining muscle, even losing muscle mass, from a combination of using better lifting technique along with mind-muscle connection (the source of the majority of noob-gains).

Look at Bruce Li, one of the most famous martial artists and fitness buffs of all time. Barely cracking 130# soaking wet, he was stronger than many men twice his size.
  • mrp56839
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    If you gain muscle, you will also gain strength from having more muscle fibers pulling together. But you can gain strength at any time; gaining muscle, maintaining muscle, even losing muscle mass, from a combination of using better lifting technique along with mind-muscle connection (the source of the majority of noob-gains).

Look at Bruce Li, one of the most famous martial artists and fitness buffs of all time. Barely cracking 130# soaking wet, he was stronger than many men twice his size.

Thanks, I guess I didn't think of it that way. Makes sense though!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a April post so I am posting up here. Hope that is okay.

I used to follow stronglifts 5x5. Stopped lifting 1 1/2 years due to pregnancy complications.

Now am unable to get to a gym now between work and an infant so I have bought adjustable dumbbells (up to 52.5lbs each) and a small bench for at my home. I do not have space for a rack or similar set up.

so far I have found these two workouts.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Is there anyone missing from these that I should include into my workout?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

I would add Bulgarian Split Leg Squats 1 day.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

I would add Bulgarian Split Leg Squats 1 day.

thanks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How long should I expect "newbie gains" to last? I've been lifting with a guy twice a week since mid oct. Have definitely gotten stronger and I'm starting to see some definition (I am also the proud owner of a 2-pack!), but I've lost around 40# in that time too, so maybe I'm just finally able to see what's always been there. The weight I'm able to move has kinda stalled - I'm not sure if that's a result of my deficit, not working it hard enough, or the program that I'm on.

Monday: hiit, accessory work or functional movements
    Thursdays: higher rep, lower weight lifts.

I run/walk 3-4 the other days and do yoga 1-2 nights a week.

Curious on this. You lost 40 lbs in that time off the body.

Did your weight on the bar increase on squats and deadlift by at least 40 lb's?

With purely improvements in form - should be much more than that if viewed as total time period, so may want to look at the timing for just the last 20 lbs lost. Did bar weight go up 20 lbs during that time?

Volume may not be enough if really just 1 x weekly.
  • mrp56839
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    How long should I expect "newbie gains" to last? I've been lifting with a guy twice a week since mid oct. Have definitely gotten stronger and I'm starting to see some definition (I am also the proud owner of a 2-pack!), but I've lost around 40# in that time too, so maybe I'm just finally able to see what's always been there. The weight I'm able to move has kinda stalled - I'm not sure if that's a result of my deficit, not working it hard enough, or the program that I'm on.

Monday: hiit, accessory work or functional movements
    Thursdays: higher rep, lower weight lifts.

I run/walk 3-4 the other days and do yoga 1-2 nights a week.

Curious on this. You lost 40 lbs in that time off the body.

Did your weight on the bar increase on squats and deadlift by at least 40 lb's?

With purely improvements in form - should be much more than that if viewed as total time period, so may want to look at the timing for just the last 20 lbs lost. Did bar weight go up 20 lbs during that time?

Volume may not be enough if really just 1 x weekly.

Hmm. During the first 40# of weight loss, absolutely. It was much more. Are you saying that the weight loss is inversely related to lifting gains? IE, lose 20# on the scale, gain 20# on the bar? At some point I'd think the lines would cross and then level off...but maybe I'm wrong.

We've been doing something different lately. Something similar to a 5x5 program 2x/week and some accessory work or functional stuff here and there. I did hit a DL PR a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't tried with the squat. (My squat form sucks lately so I need to work on that first). Maybe shaking it up a bit has helped. I would love to get in a 3rd day, but my work schedule just doesn't allow it. At least I can run/walk whenever I can sneak away.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, if you think about it, if you are doing body weight lifts (dead/squats), and there is X amount less on the body - there better be X amount more on the bar - or you lost strength.

There is many a person claiming they gained major muscle while they lost weight - and that little fact points out while they may see more muscle under less fat - they lost strength actually when they share the numbers - I've seen referenced losing 60-80 lbs and that much more was NOT put back on the bar, invaliding their claim.

But when starting out and merely improvements in form and CNS engagement cause increase in weight on bar - it's hard to judge.

This is nothing about the weight loss in relation to the lifting - purely about strength gains in relation to weight lost.
    Just thinking that amount of volume isn't enough for beginner.