Who is growing their own summer veggies?

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
My seedlings have sprouted and in a couple weeks will be ready to plant... Tomatoes, okra, squash, and herbs oh and watermelon which I have never grown..
What are you planting??

Replies

• ladylambeau
    ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We're not close to planting season yet (located in Wisconsin) but I am SOO looking forward it! We will be planting tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, bell peppers and jalapeno peppers (these are my fave).
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Will plant tomatoes, jalapenos, purple onion, carrots, red bell peppers, corn, melon, jicama, cilantroand basil. Hopefully today will be the day.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes. If I don't kill them. I have a wicked brown thumb.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I still have a ways to go until I can plant outdoors, but I typically have tomatoes, purple and yellow beans, snap peas, kale and then one or two odd things just for fun. I do square foot gardening so I don't plant a lot of variety, just some of my favorite things!
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    We have garlic and green onions about 3" high that were planted at the end of last summer. Harvested a few of the green onions last week for an Indian meal that we did. We usually start a lot of seedlings but will not this year due to a construction project that we are doing. No time for both. We will plant a few tomato , pepper, and pole beans. Got to make dilly beans. The cilantro comes up as volunteers all over that we transplant to a patch. Easy.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »

I do too and this year I'm starting from seeds indoors!! They are all poping up now so all the reading and studying paid off!!
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'll be planting tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, peas, butternut squash, zucchini, herbs, and probably some other things I haven't decided. Peppers grow so slow here that we usually get a frost before they are ready to pick, so I'm going to try to grow some jalapenos indoors in my aerogarden.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I plan to but it usually end in a disastrous waste of time and money. Hoping for better results this year. We are still a ways away from being able to plant though. I want green beans, zucchini, and peppers.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, spaghetti squash, and more spaghetti squash. Seriously, we started half a dozen jars with 2-3 seeds each, and they've all sprouted and are growing like crazy. I'll be happy with 2-4 plants, but might let more grow so we have plenty for the fall potlucks (I have a cheesy squash casserole thing that everyone loves).

We also have a couple of red pepper plants starting to sprout, but I've had terrible luck with them in general.

My kale plant from last year managed to last through the winter and is trying to grow again. No one in my house actually eats it, so my BFF will be getting all the kale she could want. ;)

I've also got calendula, sage (if it comes back), and lemongrass for herbs, strawberry plants that will hopefully fruit this year, a blueberry bush that will hopefully fruit enough to get some before the birds get to it, and random onion and garlic plants (because the flowers look cool) that I can dig up. I've also had asparagus for a couple of years, but the stalks have been pretty wispy, so I don't know if I'll ever get to eat from it.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We grow everything from lettuce to honeydew. But we sell commercial organic produce.

What my mouth waters for every year in spring is radishes. Sweet, crispy, hot and spicy all in one bite. the D'Avignon, the round reds, the white both round and long the Daikon and watermelon radishes, they are all so very good. Slice the hottest one, probably black Spanish radishes, put them on bread (low carb bread of course) and butter with a pinch of salt. Now that is a breakfast of champions.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I'm going to scale back this year, since I planted too much the past two years. My main focus will be pickling cucumbers so I can make pickles, and tomatoes to go with my bacon ! Spaghetti squash and a few other plants in small quantities. This will be my last year with the big garden since my mother will likely sell her house next year. I'll lose her big garden. Perhaps it's for the best. I find I eat less and less vegetables anyway. But I have a strong urge to make pickles !
  • mysterylover
    mysterylover Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am going to try some new things. The kids have been wanting to plant so I have turnips, radishes, and a leafy green lettuce.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gardener my husband and now daughters are. I think my daughter has started peppers indoors. I need to inspire someone to plant some squash.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »

Several years ago I ran across an article written by someone just like you and I: "The Sixty Dollar Tomato." We are lucky enough to have a reliable market handy that carries local produce whenever they are in season. Trying to grow them myself constitutes cruelty to vegetables.
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    We do. I have asparagus beds, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries , chives, various spices and rhubarb. We grow tomato, peppers, spaghetti squash, brussel sprouts, and cucumbers. Out woods also has morell mushrooms.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm putting zucchini in the ground this week! We have blueberry bushes too, that are loaded with flowers! MIGHT do some tomatoes though I never get edible tomatoes from them! So we probably won't.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    What brand of tomatoes does everyone grow?? Last year I did a brandy boy (mix between a brandywine and better boy I guess). Them things went crazy.... I waited to late to order them this year so I ended up getting brandy wine, and 2 other kinds to experiment.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    zukes, carrots, cabbage (so I can makes much kraut), and tomatoes.
    The maters haven't done well for years. Every year we try bell peppers, and every year some jerk-bug munches them before they can even flower.

I want to do some kind of greens, too. I have to wait until mid-April as we still get frosts here in the mtns sometimes until then.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Trying to grow them myself constitutes cruelty to vegetables.

But it's so much fun.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We will be, for sure. If we could grow mozzarella we'd be in caprese salad heaven. :smile: