Chocolate??

Options
2»

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Green n blacks fan here. Agree with wine comment above. Try different brands to find one that you like.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'd rather give up chocolate completely than eat 80% + dark. It's all just completely awful to me, every brand I've tried (granted I've never tried the stupidly expensive stuff)
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love Lindt or Green and Blacks 85%.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If you're trying the cheap stuff you will never like dark chocolate, imo. Splurging for the better quality is so worth it. I have tried the Lindt, and Ghirardelli 70 + %, and they are good, but trigger old chocolate binging habits for me! I will eat it all till it's gone, so it's best if I keep it out of the house! :blush:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    If you're trying the cheap stuff you will never like dark chocolate, imo. Splurging for the better quality is so worth it. I have tried the Lindt, and Ghirardelli 70 + %, and they are good, but trigger old chocolate binging habits for me! I will eat it all till it's gone, so it's best if I keep it out of the house! :blush:

haha, well I'd rather give it up completely than spend $8 per bar too, I'm way WAY too cheap for that!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Some of them add more sugar than others. I haven't bought Ghirardelli because the carbs are higher than others at the same percentage due to the extra sugar.
    My favorite is green and blacks.
    I think you have to work at eliminating sweet things in general to reset the palette to be able to taste the sweet in the darker chocolate.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

haha, well I'd rather give it up completely than spend $8 per bar too, I'm way WAY too cheap for that!

Hahahah a me too!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you are wanting to wean yourself off the need for sweet food, stick with the 85% Lindt. As I became more used to not eating sweet things, I found I could taste "sweet" in odd places. For instance, adding milk to tea made it taste sweet, so now I drink it black.
    I now prefer the 90% Lindt as a special treat.

OMG! I had skim milk a couple of weeks ago at a friend's house, and it actually tasted sweet. Like...sweet sweet. I had never experienced that before! And now, even whole milk has a sort of sweet taste to it.
    Phrick wrote: »

You get what you pay for. Cheap chocolate is cheap not just in price and tends to have more filler stuff. When you find a good bar that you like, it's generally pretty satisfying and you only need a square or two that you can savor, so that bar goes a lot farther than a Hershey's.

One of my favorites is Pascha 85% cacao. It is fabulous!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Some of them add more sugar than others. I haven't bought Ghirardelli because the carbs are higher than others at the same percentage due to the extra sugar.
    My favorite is green and blacks.
    I think you have to work at eliminating sweet things in general to reset the palette to be able to taste the sweet in the darker chocolate.

^^^^^This! My tastes have definitely changed since going very low carb. I've always hated sauerkraut, pickles and mustard and now I love them all. If I was still eating normal chocolate bars, or could even remember how they taste, I would not get as much pleasure from my 90 & 99% chocolate.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Ghiradelli 86% is good as is the Trader Joe's 85% (IMO). I currently have a single source bar from World Market (on clearance) that is also 85%. I wish I could remember the brand. I think it was sourced from Nicaragua.

I like bitter, though. The texture of dark used to bother me, though. If you want something creamy, I've also mixed a tablespoon of coconut oil with a teaspoon of good cocoa powder and that comes out very nicely.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

You get what you pay for. Cheap chocolate is cheap not just in price and tends to have more filler stuff.

To be fair, that expensive chocolate will likely last a good while, too. At least a few servings!

I haven't yet found anything above the 70 - 75% mark that I enjoy, BUT today is also day one without artificial sweeteners. I bet it tastes better in time. Coffee... well, that's a whole new flavor. Haha!
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a square of Ghiradelli (spelling) or Lindt 85%ish every night. Godiva is pretty good, too. But 85-86% is as high as I can go. Anything less, though, has no flavor now. Sometimes I go crazy and have two squares...LoL...Something I enjoy is grating the chocolate and mixing it with unsweetened coconut flakes and blueberries. That's a real treat for me.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about training yourself to like bitter chocolate if you don't like it. It's not really necessary for low carb so no sense making yourself suffer till you adjust. There are some delicious 70% ones, one had caramel flavor and sea salt in it, it's delicious and one square is still lc. There are also some good sugar free ones. Russell Stover has dark chocolate truffle ones that are sugar free and delicious.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    A 90% dark chocolate bar lasts me a little over a week!