Does anyone use Planet Fitness

Options
TBeverly49
TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
We just had a Planet Fitness created here in town, opens on the 31st. The rates are great, but does anyone in this community use it and if so how good is it. I took a serious break from low carb eating because of health and mental issues. I am ready to get back into the swing of things after my mouth heals. I can't eat any that is harder than cottage cheese....any ideas?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I have access to a private gym (well room full of gym equipment) for free as part of some volunteer activity that I do, and I have a treadmill in my garage. I don't use either enough, to be completely honest. If it is something that you will be consistent with then I say it's a great idea. Physical activity is fantastic for health. It's not really as great for weight loss as people make it out to be, but skinny and sick is worse than skinny and healthy.

Wish I had some food suggestions, but that's a tough one.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have been a member for a couple of years. I like it well enough, but I honestly don't go like I should and I only use some machines and maybe do 15 minutes on incline on a treadmill or something. I'm terrible at exercise consistency. And I know it's bad, but I do like to tan every now and then.
    Mine has a red light therapy and vibration bed, which is quite relaxing actually. I also don't use it as much as you're supposed to for results. But, I like the way my muscles feel after the vibration session. It's supposed to boost collagen or something... Idk if there's anything to it, but I like it.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I just started going there a couple months ago. I got the cheapie membership, so no tanning beds or red light stuff for me (don't think I'd use those anyway), but the one I go to is clean, there is ample equipment (even during peak times there are cardio machines available, and plenty of weight machines to keep me busy), people generally mind their own business, and there is a wide variety of ages and sizes present. I'm not able to go consistantly (I have four kids and my husband travels a lot for work), but for ten bucks a month, even if I only get to go 5/6 times a month, I feel like I'm getting a decent deal.
    I tend to do 20-30 min of moderate cardio, then do the 30 minute circuit training. I feel like it's a pretty efficient use of my time there. I'm trying to lose the last 5-10 lbs, then I plan to work on building some muscle. They do have free weights, but no squat bar (only smith machines I believe) and the weights don't go very high. But I think it's a pretty good gym for a beginner and perfectly adequate for someone who simply wants to be healthier and physically fit. Depending on your goals, you could outgrow it and need a "real" gym (PF seems to be despised by the bodybuilding set, but, hey, not everyone wants to be a bodybuilder in the first place, so don't worry about the negative blogposts you might find).
    If they are conveniently located and you are just getting into the swing of things as far as exercise goes, I think they're great. I have no complaints.
  • TexasJohnnyBravo
    TexasJohnnyBravo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I just started going there a couple months ago. I got the cheapie membership, so no tanning beds or red light stuff for me (don't think I'd use those anyway), but the one I go to is clean, there is ample equipment (even during peak times there are cardio machines available, and plenty of weight machines to keep me busy), people generally mind their own business, and there is a wide variety of ages and sizes present. I'm not able to go consistantly (I have four kids and my husband travels a lot for work), but for ten bucks a month, even if I only get to go 5/6 times a month, I feel like I'm getting a decent deal.
    I tend to do 20-30 min of moderate cardio, then do the 30 minute circuit training. I feel like it's a pretty efficient use of my time there. I'm trying to lose the last 5-10 lbs, then I plan to work on building some muscle. They do have free weights, but no squat bar (only smith machines I believe) and the weights don't go very high. But I think it's a pretty good gym for a beginner and perfectly adequate for someone who simply wants to be healthier and physically fit. Depending on your goals, you could outgrow it and need a "real" gym (PF seems to be despised by the bodybuilding set, but, hey, not everyone wants to be a bodybuilder in the first place, so don't worry about the negative blogposts you might find).
    If they are conveniently located and you are just getting into the swing of things as far as exercise goes, I think they're great. I have no complaints.

I agree, I have some friends that are Gym Rats and they hate Planet Fitness, they feel like they should be able to slam weights and generally be obnoxious in order for it to be a real gym. They are also the types that like to talk about far or lazy people. When you go to PF you will see people of all fitness levels, some who are athletic to very obese. The thing is they are all there to better themselves. When PF says no judgement zone they mean it. I applaud the obese people that are there to better themselves. I've told my friend that they are the reason the fat people feel intimidated when going to a gym to get healthier. Apparently they believe that everyone should be born naturally athletic.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I joined PF for their treadmills. I usually walk in the park but on rainy, very hot or cold days go walk on the PF treadmill.

>:) or o:)
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My wife enjoys going to PF and she is by no means a "gym" person. She says the no judgement zone is taken seriously and there are people of all fitness and skill levels in there. I AM a gym person and I think I will like it when I get home and have a chance to check it out. Mainly because people who slam weights around and yell and scream are hugely annoying and obnoxious to me. I've even gone up to guys before and said, "Whoa, sounds like that might have been a little too heavy for you with it slamming down like that. You okay?" My wife says they'll kick someone out at PF if they are slamming weights or yelling and making a bunch of noise.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 'I hate PF' bandwagon. I may not look like a dedicated gym rat, but I've been consistently in the gym since 2001, and places like PF are completely inadequate. I also don't think any gym should have a free pizza/bagel/any junk food day. When I just started just the smell of that pizza would've been a major binge trigger. Also they don't have squat racks, and half my workouts involve one of those contraptions. Since I am much less annoyed by huge people grunting and slamming weights than the stench of pizza, I choose to avoid PF like the plague. If you're looking for a cheap place to get on a treadmill a few times a week, and can avoid the free carbage, PF may be a good choice for you. If you're looking for something more or would fly face first into a box of free food (like I would), you may want to look at other options.
  • ruffneck813
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Uh-oh, I didn't know about the lack of squat racks. That's a core part of my work out. I'm a gym rat but the wife isn't so wouldn't know to mention it to me. I don't really want to smell food while I'm working out either. I think my wife did mention something about it being dumb that they have unhealthy free food once a week. To be more specific about my comment above; it's the intentional "everyone look at me!" slamming of weights that annoys. Not when it just happens as part of a work out. Still have about a month before I come home and can check it out for myself. With no squat rack I'll probably be unhappy though. :(
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I'm on the 'I hate PF' bandwagon. I may not look like a dedicated gym rat, but I've been consistently in the gym since 2001, and places like PF are completely inadequate. I also don't think any gym should have a free pizza/bagel/any junk food day. When I just started just the smell of that pizza would've been a major binge trigger. Also they don't have squat racks, and half my workouts involve one of those contraptions. Since I am much less annoyed by huge people grunting and slamming weights than the stench of pizza, I choose to avoid PF like the plague. If you're looking for a cheap place to get on a treadmill a few times a week, and can avoid the free carbage, PF may be a good choice for you. If you're looking for something more or would fly face first into a box of free food (like I would), you may want to look at other options.

The planet fitness locations that I have been to in new mexico and florida have squat rack. I haven't been to one that has a minimum of 4. I use them to do squats and deadlifts. I have been a member for about 4 years now. I totally agree about the whole bagel/pizza being ridiculous. But I like going. I use the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I tend to go super early so I am not there during peak hours. I like being Ble to use the machines or the free weights that are available.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Don't know about PF. But commercial gyms in general rank second only to cable companies for consumer complaints. They have a bad rep for trying to collect membership dues even after members have ended their commitment and have gone through the formality of quitting. My husband checked out several gyms around here and all of them wanted us to pay our monthly dues by letting them debit our checking account. Oh wait, here's my mother's maiden name, my Social Security Number, date of birth and the PIN to our investment accounts while I'm at it. Buyer beware.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I hate them for many reasons:
    1. They won't let you wear bluejeans (how stupid is that?)
    2. They make you clean the machines (time consuming, if they want the machines cleaned, they can hire someone)
    3. They kicked out a member ~ because she complained that a man "cross dressed" as a woman, came into the women's locker room. They didn't kick out the cross dresser.
    4. On certain days, they brought in free pizzas (how ironic for people trying to get healthy)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    They do have a free pizza night once a month, and a free bagel morning, also once a month (first Monday of the month and second Tuesday of the month, respectively). Not to hard to skip those days if it would really bother you. Or, you know, just don't eat it - I've never happened to go on one of those days, so I can't say how much the aroma actually permeates the place, but I'm there to work out, not eat, so I can't see it being a big issue. I can understand the lack of squat racks bugging people, especially more serious body builder types. (Though from what I understand some locations do have squat racks, it just depends). All I know is the price can't be beat, there are people of all shapes, sizes, ages, and levels of fitness present so no one stands out like a sore thumb, decreasing the whole self-conscious aspect (very appealing to someone like myself who has never gone to a gym before), and the one near me is convenient and open 24 hours. Only real drawback is no childcare, but for ten bucks I'll deal. I may (or may not, lol) eventually "outgrow" PF, but for me, a regular shmo newbie gym go-er who isn't interested in looking like a female Arnold, it more than suits my needs. Can't speak to issues with trying to end the membership, as I haven't done that, obviously.

Not sure what the issue is with wiping down your own machine after sweating on it- I would think that is simply good gym etiquette anywhere you go, no? And I know I couldn't work out in jeans, but if you're dead set on wearing them, then no, you will want to go elsewhere.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    The planet fitness locations that I have been to in new mexico and florida have squat rack. I haven't been to one that has a minimum of 4. I use them to do squats and deadlifts.

Actual squat racks or Smith machines?

• wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    The planet fitness locations that I have been to in new mexico and florida have squat rack. I haven't been to one that has a minimum of 4. I use them to do squats and deadlifts.

Actual squat racks or Smith machines?

If I smith machine is what I think it is I would guess the ones in new mexico has that one and the ones in florida would be a squat rack. I found that the ones in florida have more free weights. They even have free weight bench presses which I have not found in new mexico.

I guess that is a good clarification.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I go to the Y because it's closest to my work and I can go on my lunch hour if I don't have class to study for or need to buy groceries. I wish there were a less expensive option close to me. There is another slightly less expensive gym about 3 miles from my house, but that is too far as I don't own a car.

I think PF sounds fine. I don't know about the "no grunting" rule. I am vocal sometimes. I can't help it. I grunt out the last 10 seconds of my HIIT on the elliptical sometimes. Or pushing out on the erg. I used to yell sometimes when retro running on a track, but no one was around and I wouldn't do a "Barbarian yell" in a gym. But it helps the process. I'm also a loud sneezer and I sound like Betty Boop every time I trip slightly when walking. Just vocal.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I guess that is a good clarification.

Ya, Smith machines have those "tracks" where the barbell can only move up and down and is a fixed component of the apparatus.

The Florida locations sound like their a cut above --- sweet!

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I was using it for awhile. I liked it for what I needed it for, which was the treadmills in wintertime. I only stopped going because of time, as in, I rarely have any lol. I very much miss the hydro massage bed, though. If you can swing the $20 membership I recommend it over the chairs. As far as strength training goes, yeah I know the free weights are considered the best, and I'm not arguing that, but I saw people using the machines who were of limited mobility for various reasons and it seemed to help them. I also saw young men who were, ahem, obviously not new to weight lifting using them too. I think that was what I liked about it, I love a diverse crowd and I saw every age and level of fitness there.
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Our household uses planet fitness. I love the hydro beds. I'm not a cardio fan so I skip that. The machines are easy to use and someone is always willing to help if you don't know how to use it.
  • ruffneck813
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wife loves the hydro massage beds & has started using the tanning bed so she won't fry when we go to Grenada for 2 weeks (once I get home). And yeah, any gym I've ever been in expects you to wipe down a machine after you've sweated all over it. That's just common courtesy and definitely normal gym etiquette (even us barbarians in the military do that, lol). Guess I'll make due whether they have a squat rack or not since I'm usually only home for a short time and the choices available are few. Limited in what I can do right now anyways since I took 3 minor injuries to a leg about a week ago. Very frustrating to say the least.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    thank you every one. It sounds like a good place to just to toning up my lean muscle mass. I am a weight machine person, not free weights.