Low Carb Newbie

Options
Hello, everyone! I am a low carb newbie. My doctor has suggested that I go low carb (and low sugar) to help with a few medical issues (pre-diabetes being chief among them) and because I am morbidly obese. I am on day 5. I felt like I had the flu yesterday, but I came into this group and that very first post about low carb flu jumped out at me and I'm certain my electrolytes were low. Yesterday was the first day I incorporated exercise back into my routine, so it makes sense that it hit me as soon as I was done working out. Thanks to that informative post I now know that I was not actually turning into a werewolf as I had originally thought. My big issue today is that I feel ravenous. I feel like I might go full Walking Dead on a loaf of bread. I am a very patient person, and I'd like to see this through. I just need a little guidance on how to adapt to this lifestyle.

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making positive changes in your life. I have a very long weight loss journey ahead of me too and have never had as much success as I have eating this way.

When I first cut the carbs really low and added in the fat, I found the easiest way to get those carb cravings out of my system was to make sure I had plenty of really yummy low carb high fat foods to eat and I didn't worry at all about my calories in the beginning. So when I felt ravenously hungry, I just ate, but I skipped the carbs. You'll probably find as those cravings subside that your appetite significantly reduces. That's one of the big benefits of this woe and is a notable aspect that makes weight loss a bit easier.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Don't underestimate the needs for those electrolytes. My 'flu' induction stage lasted far too long (3 weeks!), and looking back I know the imbalance of electrolytes were a big reason why. Also, I didn't cut the carbs back enough to focus on getting fat-adapted.

Once I got the electrolytes straightened out by adding potassium, magnesium CITRATE, and sodium I felt fine. One day I took probably 4-5 times the recommended magnesium, thinking it would fix my horrible headache. Wrong! Lets just say I couldn't leave the bathroom much of the next day. It was rough.

As for the hunger, just feed it but do it with LCHF foods. This way of eating requires you feed when hungry, not feed when not hungry. This is also not the best time to 'diet', just focus on becoming fat-adapted. Keep the carbs really low until you are fat-adapted, then you can test increasing them.

Once you are fat adapted, the benefits will kick in. Weight loss, low appetite, better energy, stable blood sugar, mental clarity...etc. I was doing low-ish carbs (around 100-150 per day) but made the final step to go Keto in mid January. It was a great decision for me, I love this way of eating. Plus the weight loss really picked up while eating the exact same calories and doing the same amount of exercise.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! This is all so foreign to me. I will definitely focus on adapting first and foremost. I like to do things right even if it takes a little longer to get to my goal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome. :)
    Ditto the others. All good advice so I won't add more. ;) Trust in the process - it really does work!

Do you have a glucose monitor? It really is satisfying to watch the BG levels come down. (I was prediabetic too.)
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm pretty new to this woe, (almost 3 weeks in) what I did right from the beginning is eat 2 to 4 baby dill pickles a day and every day drink 1 large mug of bpbullion. 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tbs real butter, and 1 tsp vegetable stock. Blend it all up and it tastes great and keeps you full for hours. I get some of my fats and I get the much needed sodium. The important thing is to blend it up, I tried just stirring it the first time and it was terrible. I read here about blending it and that fixed it, was amazing the difference that one step made!

I am counting calories, but after the first week, I now have to encourage myself to get more calories, I'm just not hungry at all. I add in usually more butter or extra coconut oil to my cooking just to make 1280 calories a day! I also started using heavy cream in my tea and cooking for the calories/fat.

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    When I first started for the first month or 2 I would have bouillon cube desolved in hot water with 1/2 tbs of Kerry gold butter. Low cals and high fat so it was a perfect snack for me. The hunger goes away as soon as sugars and carbs flush out of ur body. now days (at end of my journey) if i have any sweets (even zero cal artificial Sugars) those hungers come back!!! Get them out of your system and keep them out till your close to goal... And eat lots of stuff with sodium lol Good luck!!!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making positive changes in your life. I have a very long weight loss journey ahead of me too and have never had as much success as I have eating this way.

When I first cut the carbs really low and added in the fat, I found the easiest way to get those carb cravings out of my system was to make sure I had plenty of really yummy low carb high fat foods to eat and I didn't worry at all about my calories in the beginning. So when I felt ravenously hungry, I just ate, but I skipped the carbs. You'll probably find as those cravings subside that your appetite significantly reduces. That's one of the big benefits of this woe and is a notable aspect that makes weight loss a bit easier.

^^^ excellent advice ^^^ your gut microbiota is craving its carbs! Deny them. They'll die off in a few days, and your cravings will subside. You will still have hunger, but way less. Its kinda proportional to how "low" you go on the carb/sugar intake, with "less is best".

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I Got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Welcome, there is a lot of good advice here and everyone is sincere about trying to help. I'm new too and had difficulty losing weight but all the side affects of this diet are what make me stick with it. That and the great encouragement here.

I'm sorry you are feeling the low carb flu. I never experienced that, it must be awful. I experienced euphoria for 2 weeks. I never felt so good as when I first went low carb. The pain and swelling in my wrist and ankles went away and I was so damn happy. It was like the 1st time in my life when I wasn't hungry. I really think fat is tied closely to mood and I had denied myself fats for sooooo long.

So, I think my mistake was to raise my fats but not lower the carbs down enough to lose weight. Hence the mood enhancement but the failure to lose weight. So, I'm trying to lower my carbs to 30 total a day. For me that's a lot lower than what I had been doing. I hope you experience some of the benefits of LCHF and not just the down side soon.

• 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hey there @crazykatlady820 I'm also new here, just joined today and completeD day 7 of my LCHP way of eating!
    My cravings have been off and on but I'm seeing results already so it's a big motivation to keep going! Good luck!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

Once I got the electrolytes straightened out by adding potassium, magnesium CITRATE, and sodium I felt fine. One day I took probably 4-5 times the recommended magnesium, thinking it would fix my horrible headache. Wrong! Lets just say I couldn't leave the bathroom much of the next day. :s It was rough.

This would seem to imply that it's possible to take magnesium citrate and not have the mountains rumbling before sundown. True?

• Samina1215
    Samina1215 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's great to see all of the awesome advice bring given here. I would only add that you stick to it no matter what. There are many people that don't understand this lifestyle and it's not their fault because we all have been taught the exact opposite of this. My body and mind have changed so much since starting LCHF. When I slip up and our give in to junk, my body will let me know. Good luck on your journey and stay strong.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

Once I got the electrolytes straightened out by adding potassium, magnesium CITRATE, and sodium I felt fine. One day I took probably 4-5 times the recommended magnesium, thinking it would fix my horrible headache. Wrong! Lets just say I couldn't leave the bathroom much of the next day. :s It was rough.

This would seem to imply that it's possible to take magnesium citrate and not have the mountains rumbling before sundown. True?

Let's just say the next day started REALLY early, lol. It wasn't citrate at that time, one of the other kinds. I switched after reading elsewhere that citrate is an ideal form to take. I still don't know the difference but what I take now seems to not bother me.

• kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I made a very similar post to yours about 8 weeks ago...prediabetes, changing my diet according to doctor's recommendations, flu feelings, hungry/cravings took a while to disappear, etc. Now at about 8 weeks in, I've lost 16 pounds since starting this way of eating. I have 20ish more to go, but I'm thrilled. Folks here have been really good about helping with questions too!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice from all above! Welcome to the group, and to a way of eating that changes lives!! I'm excited to see reports of future progress too!! Once you manage the paradigm shift of thinking about food, it gets so much easier! Good luck to you
  • 1TheQueenB
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Today ia day #13 of low carb and high protein. I'm struggling these past few days....emotionally, and cravings for carbs it feels like... I haven't given in but it makes me fearful to eat any carbs aND I keep eating less and less calories and carbs....I think I'm making it worse. Feel like I'm gonna give up any moment and it's gonna disappoint me, and then I'm gonna make it worse...I can see it...trying not to make it happen. I keep working out too. Wondering if I should increase my carbs and calories sooner, any thoughts?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    1TheQueenB wrote: »
    Today ia day #13 of low carb and high protein. I'm struggling these past few days....emotionally, and cravings for carbs it feels like... I haven't given in but it makes me fearful to eat any carbs aND I keep eating less and less calories and carbs....I think I'm making it worse. Feel like I'm gonna give up any moment and it's gonna disappoint me, and then I'm gonna make it worse...I can see it...trying not to make it happen. I keep working out too. Wondering if I should increase my carbs and calories sooner, any thoughts?

Have you tried lowering the protein and upping the fats? Those are what provide the satiety that may help you from overeating.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I feel a craving for carbs (rare these days) I always make sure to slam down a smoothie or a salad... basically any low-carb/paleo food in general. What your ravenous craving could be is simply hunger. Your mind is likely just freaking out because you're not giving it sugar, a fuel it's used to. Once I put some good nutrients in, the mind chills out.
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options
    Hmmm I think it's hunger because I can skip the carb but I did eat around 2pm, shouldn't be starving...feel like I'm ready to rummage through the pantry. Maybe it's thirst
  • 57jewels
    57jewels Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Have you tried lowering the protein and upping the fats? Those are what provide the satiety that may help you from overeating.

I agree. I'm not an expert, just started February 1st. (I'm a 58 year old woman) But have done a bunch of reading on the subject. And from what I've read - if you eat too much protein your body can start making its own glucose (called gluconeogenesis) - which can derail your low carb attempts. Keep your carbs low, lower your protein intake a little, increase your good fats. Hopefully that will help. Make sure your drinking enough water too.
    BTW - I've lost 13 pounds and my sweet tooth!
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options
    57jewels wrote: »

I agree. I'm not an expert, just started February 1st. (I'm a 58 year old woman) But have done a bunch of reading on the subject. And from what I've read - if you eat too much protein your body can start making its own glucose (called gluconeogenesis) - which can derail your low carb attempts. Keep your carbs low, lower your protein intake a little, increase your good fats. Hopefully that will help. Make sure your drinking enough water too.
    BTW - I've lost 13 pounds and my sweet tooth!

What about if you workout? Are you still at risk for gluconeogenesis?