Low carb diet for my son

2»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I don't have s link to the article mentioned anymore, but cutting out grains is a big winfor anyone no matter their weight if you ask me.
    I have definitely heard about the estrogen connection to overweight men. Before that develops, testosterone tends to get low if I recall... The genetic factor of men tending to look similar in build in families could be a tendency for low testosterone in the presence of abdominal fat, which then leads to fat deposits in the chest area. I have listened to podcasts on this subject for sure.
    Anyway, we are talking about a 10 year old here.. My son is 13, he's been working with kettle bells, Dumbbells, and resistance bands for at least 3 years for baseball. He has "homework" all off season and in season as well to do push ups, squats and work with his weights. It's only a few minutes, 2 or 3 times a week off season and less often in addition to baseball practice during in season. I haven't aggressively limited his carbs, but I have made big changes. My son is rail thin though, so it would be different if he weren't.
    My husband, who's not low carbing, rarely buys hamburger or hotdog buns anymore when we have foods like that. He's even started going bunless quite often, so my son does too. Instead of pasta, the whole family eats zucchini or squash noodles. I almost never cook starches or pasta sides for them anymore. When I do, it's sweet potato, so not quite as bad. Nobody drinks soda unless it's diet, but mostly water with infused fruit or maybe some Mio or Sweet Leaf flavoring.
    My son definitely eats too much snack foods like Cheetos and cookies still, but it's a work in progress :wink: and, though I think that stuff is bad no matter your weight, he is more likely under weight, so I am currently rationalizing it... I just don't think it's a good idea to yank everything away that used to be perfectly acceptable before "mom went nutrition crazy". He already gives me grief about the supplements I started giving him. Lol
    Anyway, see if you can get your son interested in working out with you in some way. Next time he says something negative about his body, maybe say something reassuring and then add that the only thing he needs to be concerned about is being strong and healthy. And see if he would commit to some simple workout for about 10 minutes twice a week. Get him to count for you and you can count for him. Don't make it about weight. Make it about being strong. Make note of when he can do just one more push up or when he shows signs that the whole workout was easier than a previous time. Point out to him that's how you know he's stronger. Explain the advantage it will give him with wrestling and football. And it seriously will! It will likely help to ensure he's less likely to get hurt if he's stronger..
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    I would be nervous not to make him self conscious of his size and affect his self esteem.

Focus on health and good food. Nutrient dense vs calorie rich. I wouldn't "cut out" anything but teach moderation. 5 colors on a plate. Variety. All things in moderation.

Get him to move more. Trampoline. Bike. Walks and jogs. Team sports. Have friends over and leave them in the garden to play. Limited tv and computer time.

Disordered eating can start young. Please keep that in mind.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    As a teacher and mom (my kids are all adults now) I agree with the comments urging you to make it about health & nutrition. People think that body image issues are only a problem for girls/women, but I have seen it take a toll on boys, too. For some reason society isn't as sensitive. Example: the HS wrestling coach seeing my boy in the hallway during football season and saying, "What the f*** fatso, you are going to have to do some serious cutting!" Then, the football coach saying the opposite a few months later, adding "If you don't bulk up and go back to being a man over the summer you'll let down the O Line!"

Keep him active (it sounds like you already do this), focused on fueling his body in healthy ways, and make sure that he is aware of the changes (puberty/adolescence) that his body is starting to undergo. If this whole issue starts to effect his behavior and moods, please get some family therapy for all. It will help in so many ways!

Good luck!
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    I definitely think genetics play an important role in this. His father was a bit chunky when he was a kid. You know up until he was around 8 he was a skinny thing. Even as a baby.

He takes his lunch to school because I want to know that he is eating healthy. He either gets a turkey sandwhich or a turkey wrap with spinach and kale, some carrots, a fruit, and either chex mix or his favorite chips takis. I alternate between them. He gets water and flavoring to drink. I do not allow him to eat a lot of junk. He definitely does not get much fast food. That happens on very rare occassion because I do not eat it at all.

He hasnt had a yearly check up yet. The last time he went to the doctor he did say Elijah was borderline overweight.

I really just want him to be comfortable with the way he looks. We spend the summer in florida so we are at the beach or a pool a lot. He would prefer to keep his shirt on.

We have the same issues in our house so this thread has been very interesting to me. Twin 12 year old boys, completely different body types, same diet. It's really hard. One grew a couple of inches this winter, yet packed on probably 15 pounds. All his jeans are too small, he's quite pudgy, "fleshy" been very self-conscience. I'm convinced he's hitting puberty and about ready to skyrocket in height. I got them gym memberships, and we all go together and we do differently weight training activities and cardio. They both play ice hockey but it's still just not enough exercise. Thankfully it has turned to spring here in Pennsylvania so every day after school they have been on the trampoline, playing football and sidewalk hockey so that helps a lot. But trying to change their diet has been the biggest thing and I am concerned about the amount of weight gain. I have cut out *mostly all processed snack foods, they have an all natural granola bar and pirates booty and fruit for lunch with pepperoni and cheese. But honestly I know they still buy snacks at school. At some point they are also going to have to be self-aware, make better choices while I'm not around, and that's what we are working on.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    No children here. Just wanted to say how much I admire all of you. Hardest job in the world. And all you are talking about is feeding them! A minefield! Truly, the hardest job in the world. You should all be proud of your kids and take a bow yourselves.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    My 11-year-old son is doing strength training with me. He'd rather not do it. But he's leaning out, and getting stronger. He's got more energy as well.

Sodas and sweets are limited to the weekends. I try to limit the processed crap, but DH fights me. Dinner is always LCHF with a reasonable sized serving of starch, not enormous. I have a daughter who is 7 that is a carbasaurus and appears to have mommy's DNA. I'm leaving her be for now. We'll see how things pan out.

I'd love to LCHF the whole family. But it's just not going to happen. But I keep the carb count down as best as I can manage, and I throw them outside for hours in the afternoon. And I model good behaviors and teach them about nutrition. I hope it will stick when they are grown and leave me.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    >I'd love to LCHF the whole family. But it's just not going to happen.

Do you think that's a function of just needing both parents to be on the same page, or is the media/social influence on kids too great?
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    We've been weaning my son off of carbs and sugar- without really meaning to. He's actually taking interest in how DH and I eat and is starting to model his own eating after us. He's seen the drastic changes in his parents' health and energy. I anticipate that in a few months, all 3 of us will soon be keto. His breakfasts and dinners are keto- school is the only place he gets carbs. Aaand we've let him get weekend treats here and there. But more and more, DH and I are asking ourselves each meal, if we're not going to eat it, why should we give it to him?

My son is only 9 and I'll be interested to see how this pans out when he gets closer to puberty. He's extremely lean (martial arts and swimming). He's 50% for weight and 75% for height. He hated meats of any sort up until just recently. Maybe because I'm paying more attention to how I cook the meat? :P I still won't expect him to give up his favorite fruits and vegs.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    >I'd love to LCHF the whole family. But it's just not going to happen.

Do you think that's a function of just needing both parents to be on the same page, or is the media/social influence on kids too great?

It's both, in my experience. Without at least the other parent on board, it starts feeling like you're fighting the entire world. It's even worse if the other parent is actively against it. :(

I think the big key is to make sure it's more about "just how we eat," as opposed to a "special diet" or whatever. It's harder when converting older kids, though, because they remember what it used to be like, instead of just growing up Paleo or relatively low carb or whatever. I'm a big fan of the "oh, sorry, I forgot to get that this time" tactic, especially if the kids aren't coming along on the grocery trip and ensuring you don't forget. ;)

Being inundated with junk food ads doesn't help, though. It does make me glad that I can get groceries delivered and cut the cable cord a long time ago, though. At the store is the only time my son asks for cookies, chips, etc. They don't even cross his mind at home unless we already have some (and we almost never have any), but it's because it's right in his face, in all the bright colors and right in his line of sight through half the store.

Add in grandparents and other caretakers who either can't or won't abide by your requests without a medical reason, and it starts feeling like running in quicksand.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    We've been weaning my son off of carbs and sugar- without really meaning to. He's actually taking interest in how DH and I eat and is starting to model his own eating after us. He's seen the drastic changes in his parents' health and energy. I anticipate that in a few months, all 3 of us will soon be keto. His breakfasts and dinners are keto- school is the only place he gets carbs. Aaand we've let him get weekend treats here and there. But more and more, DH and I are asking ourselves each meal, if we're not going to eat it, why should we give it to him?

My son is only 9 and I'll be interested to see how this pans out when he gets closer to puberty. He's extremely lean (martial arts and swimming). He's 50% for weight and 75% for height. He hated meats of any sort up until just recently. Maybe because I'm paying more attention to how I cook the meat? :P I still won't expect him to give up his favorite fruits and vegs.

@kimbo8435 thanks for sharing.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    No children here. Just wanted to say how much I admire all of you. Hardest job in the world. And all you are talking about is feeding them! A minefield! Truly, the hardest job in the world. You should all be proud of your kids and take a bow yourselves.

Wow.. Thank you.. It is the hardest job ever and the most rewarding one I could ever imagine. I think we learn as we go. If I have the opportunity to make a difference in how he feels about himself I want to be sure I take it.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Just spoke with my boyfriend who has the worst eating habits ever. He tells me he bought hamburger helper for him and my son to eat (you see he did not include me ). I told him Elijah isn't eating that crap. He says well I don't know what to make anymore. I told him meat and vegetables.

I wish I could get him on board with any kind of healthy diet but it's not happening. This does make things more difficult at home. Because I do believe if it's not in your face you are tempted. He always buys junk. I literally put the candy dish along with his junk in my kids room because he sleeps in there because it has gotten to where I can't sleep with him. If I try to tell him how crappie his diet is he gets angry.
  • wishfullthinking79
    I really appreciate all of you. I have really been stressing how important it is to eat healthy food. I am not going to take everything from him. I like the statement someone said.. about if I wouldn't eat it why would I give it to him.. I have in the past allowed my boyfriend to cook something for the two of them that I would definitely not go near, not now or in the past. I just need to be clear that it is equally important if not more that my son eats the right kind of foods.