My HWC has butter floating in it

DorkothyParker
DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
It's sweet and creamy so it's definitely butter, not that it's gone bad. I thought about shaking it, but I think that would just aggravate the issue.

If I leave my coffee to cool, it seems to integrate okay, but I can't drink it straight away, I just can't!

Is this common? This was in Trader Joe's Organic HWC. My cheapo Winco cream hasn't had this issue.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    That's because your cheapo cream likely has additives to keep it emulsified. The TJ's is likely to have no additives.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    It's not butter, it's clotted cream :smile:

The new brand you bought may have had a slightly higher fat content, making it more likely to clot, and as @KnitOrMiss suggested, may have less additives. Cream here in the uk is often clotted around the top, I always shake up my cream before I open it to mix it all back up.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Bonus!! Fresh butter!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    My HWC does this too. I don't mind. I've got my mom trying the LCHF thing too but she insists on half and half because the HWC clots gross her out. lol
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    It's not butter, it's clotted cream :smile:

The new brand you bought may have had a slightly higher fat content, making it more likely to clot, and as @KnitOrMiss suggested, may have less additives. Cream here in the uk is often clotted around the top, I always shake up my cream before I open it to mix it all back up.

The cream dispenser used at McDonalds, etc even warns about this clotting and to clean it from time to time to flow at the proper rate if it fails a given flow per sec rate.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Interesting. So if I shake it, will it even out or will I start making whipped cream?
    I think I will stick to the TJ's brand. I mean, half of what I log is TJs these days anyway.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Yes, clotted cream, yum! Feels like extra when I get that too, lol! Doesn't that sound crazy? I thought comments like that were really out there when I was a newbie!
  • HedgeHaug
    HedgeHaug Posts: 223 Member
    Well, this discussion explains a lot for me....so shake it is! :p
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Interesting. So if I shake it, will it even out or will I start making whipped cream?
    I think I will stick to the TJ's brand. I mean, half of what I log is TJs these days anyway.

Totally won't turn to shipped cream. No need to shake much. The clots will mainly form around the edges, so shaking it just blends it into the liquid.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Lol "whipped" cream! Silly autocorrect.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Put it in your tea..... Yum
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Interesting!! I've never encountered this. Must be my cheapie HWC. ;) (I usually get the Kroger, Bi-Lo or Aldi store brands.)
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    That wouldn't happen if we all used sheep's milk instead of cow's milk. Cow's milk has bigger fat molecules for making bigger cows. Sheep's milk does not need homogenization. It has smaller fat molecules for smaller lambs and the cream does not separate out. And also it is sweeter with more carbs (13 grams in a cup of sheep milk vs 11 to 12 for cow's).

Sorry for that splurt of nerdom. I have sheep on the brain today. One of my 7 pregnant ewes just lambed with 2 of the cutest little newborns ever.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited March 2016
    The 48% butterfat cream I buy in Tokyo does this after sitting in the fridge for a week or two... I just scrape it all up with a spoon and eat it if no one is looking... :) or just stir it in my coffee.

oooh, lambies! post a picture or two?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I buy a non homogenized cream that always gets little bits of butter in it. I just let them dissolve in my tea. Mmmmmm
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    camtosh wrote: »
    The 48% butterfat cream I buy in Tokyo does this after sitting in the fridge for a week or two... I just scrape it all up with a spoon and eat it if no one is looking... :) or just stir it in my coffee.

Oh you are testing my computer skills. It took me forever to figure out how to post a picture of our farm as an avatar. Ok here goes nothing lamb pics. Remember you asked. [imgxe510ujng77p.jpg
    ]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/3c/kiv4dls4tnrk.jpg[/img]
    zah6i8ldfy1w.jpg
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Sooooo cute!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    camtosh wrote: »

Oh you are testing my computer skills. It took me forever to figure out how to post a picture of our farm as an avatar. Ok here goes nothing lamb pics. Remember you asked. [imgxe510ujng77p.jpg
    ]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/3c/kiv4dls4tnrk.jpg[/img]
    zah6i8ldfy1w.jpg

I was going to say that they look yummy, but the truth is now I feel bad about my lamb roast last week. They are so cute and look absolutely snuggable.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Toooo Cuuuteee!!!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Lol! @PaleoinScotland!! Lol! I'm sitting here ooohing and ahhhing over the precious babies ,and then I read your pos t! I'm ROFL!!

Those babies are so precious!