Exercise?

Options
How much and what kind if exercise do you all do?
I started out last year with 30 min on the treadmill. I have increased that to walking 1-2 hours total a day ( 5-10 miles) I am wondering if that is normal and reasonable or if I am obsessed with getting the exersize so I can eat more. My recent injury has led me to question my sanity.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 5 hrs of exercise every week. I do use my fitbit and do a lot of walking, 3-5 miles is more my range. I free form dance to music I love, as well as a Zumba class weekly. If the weather is good I bike, but very leisurely, I haven't developed the leg strength to do high mileage, fast paced rides. I go to Body Flex, a mix of aerobic and strength training, classes 2 x a week. I love that. I also do some yoga because I like to stretch out on a regular basis. In the summer, some mountain hiking gets added into this. I will also be starting back up with my personal trainer in the coming weeks, I really think strength training is vital for people in our age range. I also love being able to move things easier :)

Mix things up, don't over use one set of muscles. Keep it interesting. And make sure you have a rest day muscles need to repair themselves, even walking muscles. I have hurt myself so many times in the past because I didn't think that was necessary and ended up injured and my exercise routine going out the window.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    My goal is to do 45 minutes a day minimum. At home I walk, do calisthenics, climb stairs, and use a ski machine. It's getting to be the weather for bike riding so I will be out there soon. When I go to the gym, I make one or two swim classes a week, depending on my travel schedule; I also use the Sci Fit and elliptical machines and do circuit training. Recently I started working with a personal trainer to expand my repertoire of strength training so I can add more of that at home.

Lately I have been fighting off sciatica with some stretching exercises which have helped a lot. I spend way too much time sitting (working at the computer) so, taking breaks to get those exercises in is quite important.

~ Kathy
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    mxchana wrote: »
    My goal is to do 45 minutes a day minimum. At home I walk, do calisthenics, climb stairs, and use a ski machine. It's getting to be the weather for bike riding so I will be out there soon. When I go to the gym, I make one or two swim classes a week, depending on my travel schedule; I also use the Sci Fit and elliptical machines and do circuit training. Recently I started working with a personal trainer to expand my repertoire of strength training so I can add more of that at home.

Lately I have been fighting off sciatica with some stretching exercises which have helped a lot. I spend way too much time sitting (working at the computer) so, taking breaks to get those exercises in is quite important.

~ Kathy

Sounds good, sorry about your pain. Pain can make you eat, who knew! Gayle Minneapolis
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    FWIW, When I'm in weight loss mode, I bump up the steps and other exercise. If it's recreational, like tennis, I don't worry about amount of time. But I always shoot for 10000 steps daily for bone density, which often includes 30 or more minutes continual walking. I tend to be obsessive, and if I realize I'm having trouble sleeping, it usually means I'm exercising too much.
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    5 minutes per day on the elliptical. I also used to go to the silver sneakers program will go again.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    5 minutes per day on the elliptical. I also used to go to the silver sneakers program will go again.

Silver Sneakers is a great program for anyone starting out or over with exercise. Gets you in the habit of going out to exercise.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    30 minutes a day. Take Sunday off. If I'm really feeling good, I'll walk or jog at a higher pace, or stress level on my treadmill. I find that the treadmill set to about a 5 degree slope gets my heart rate up so that I can rack up about 300 calories per session. I use a heart rate monitor and track my heart rate using an android app.