No Dairy No Carb diet?

Options
I finally to the point that I am fed up with my weight gain and health. I want to jump start March 2016 with a 30-day No Dairy No Carb lifestyle. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with this dietary change. Comments, concerns, or constructive criticism. I'm also looking for recipes or specific websites that could assist and encourage me on this journey.

Thanks!

Replies

• kathy3
    kathy3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle by Diane Sanfilippo will help you with this diet. It has great recipes and guidance and has come in very handy for my new Paleo lifestyle!
  • taichilass
    taichilass Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a no grains kind of gal. I do have dairy more than I should though
  • MrFaawzy
    MrFaawzy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone need help with his dairy contact with me :smiley:
  • taichilass
    taichilass Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for help but a new buddy is always nice
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    long time Type 2 diabetic with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (autoimmune hypothyroidism) here.

Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis is a good beginner book. I dropped 20 lbs in a month and got off my meds in 1 week by doing nothing other than dropping ALL grains. Grain causes inflammation and water retention. Ever notice how puffy people look these days like they have been inflated? That is inflammation and that causes all kinds of nasty chronic diseases. Two years later, all is still fantastic and we miss none of it. Ditching grains then allowed us to easily ditch sugar. We just didn't want it anymore. 3 weeks later, after our bodies did their normal tastebud replacement process, food started to taste amazing and still does. After that we ditched dairy other than grass fed butter, ghee (considered non-dairy), and rarely whole cream or hard cheese.

I have read over 200 books so far and highly recommend you make the library your best friend and start reading. It is a large learning curve but what is more important? I have read everything from LCHF to Vegan, strength training, gut health, thyroid health, brain health and more. You have to find out what works for your own body and you do that learning, self experimentation, logging, testing and analyzing your personal information. You will soon see what works for you and what doesn't. You are unique and have to find out for yourself.

www.MarksDailyApple.com -excellent site by Mark Sisson. Click the Start Here tab and expect to be there awhile. The Resources tab will get you started on many good books, etc... then go from there. Many authors have multiple books that build upon the previous.
    Practical Paleo is a good book, I agree.
    The Blue Zones
    The Art and Science of Low Carb by Volek & Phinney (we did <20 carbs a day for several months)
    The Specific Carb Diet
    Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto to discuss diet and strength training (a must)
    Anything by Michael Pollan or his documentaries. Many are on youtube for free.
    The Dorito Effect
    Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter
    Borrow cookbooks before buying as well.

We slowly converted our kitchen and pantry to eat:
    Only whole foods the way nature made them.
    Pasture raised, grass fed AND grass finished (no grain finished!), organic, we shop the farmer's market, wild caught, hormone and antibiotic free, offal, bone broth, make our own condiments, seasonings from scratch, etc... you get the picture. Take it a step at a time.

Daily:
    copious fibrous veggies, always includes greens
    small portion carby veggies or small portion whole fruit (mostly berries)
    lean meat
    healthy fats to satisfaction (coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, grass fed butter)

Me: 48 lbs so far, normal blood glucose levels
    DH: 83 lbs so far
    Both: fantastic lipid panels, ENERGY!, reduced seasonal allergies, normalized sleep, more
    Doctors: astounded

You will find your storage needs change. We bought a second refrigerator and another deep freezer (we have kids at home) while freeing up cabinet space. Increased food costs are offset by many things so it works out nearly the same after full conversion but not at first because you are essentially restocking your home from scratch so go at whatever pace your budget allows. There are books and websites on how to do this in a budget friendly fashion.

Move and strength train.
  • ginnyokeen
    ginnyokeen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I has change my life style to raw vegan a few months ago and my health overall has significant improved . loose weight faster and clean your body detoxification . I'm glad I did it and never look back !
  • msjff2u
    msjff2u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any carbs or dairy since Feb 7th. All protein, veggies and fruit. I lost 31 lbs. I was doctor supervised. 40 days I ate only 500-800 cal a day. I stayed in the 500 range. Now I can have 2000 cal still with no carbs or dairy and I'm having a hard time eating all I need to reach my goal.

My heath has improved. I to, detoxed. I have 70 lbs more to loose.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    When you say "no carbs," do you mean no grains?? Vegetables have carbs. I can't imagine living without vegetables...
  • hellafitchic
    hellafitchic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely No Dairy and little to no Carbs while prepping for a show. If I do have carbs, they are clean (sweet potato, rice, oatmeal). Your body definitely will adjust to your diet. Good luck and trust the process!
  • HillCountryGuy
    HillCountryGuy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "Whole 30" would be a good fit for what your goals are.