Fruit

Options
jocelyn1577
jocelyn1577 Posts: 25 Member
Does anyone doing keto occationally eat fruit ? 4 months ago you couldn't pay me to eat the stuff , but I've been strict keto for 3 month & suddenly craving fruit , I cut it up for my kids a lot and normally no biggie, but for the last 3 days I've literally been dreaming about apples bananas & berries . Can you occationally enjoy fruit without screwing your diet ? I'm pretty new to this life & am still trying to sort it all out , I've gone up and down the scale trying to get my macros right there's almost too much info out there

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think the best options are berries. I've also had a tart Apple before with no problem, but I was also walking around an apple farm that day and burned through the fructose pretty quickly.
    One way I enjoy some fruit flavor is lemon and lime in my water. Gets the job done without actually consuming fruit.
    I have fairly strong feelings about fructose in general so I'm not willing to go too far with fruit.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Berries are the go-to fruit and can usually be included in a LCHF diet. Just watch the portions.

I'll do some apple or some berries occasionally. My friend and I split a green apple with cheese slices, usually, so it's about half an apple. She'll often have raspberries out during our study groups, and I'll munch them, too. Works out to around 3 ounces. I've found that now that I don't eat much in the way of sweet stuff, they're so much more flavorful and satisfyingly sweet, so I can enjoy eating them that much more when I do.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not keto, net carbs are around 50g, but I have raspberries nearly everyday, blackberries too, but they are a tad higher carbs than the raspberries .
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just ate a pear for dinner and am feeling pretty guilty about it. The pear was wonderful (one of most favorite fruits) and I still made less than 50 carbs (total, I don't subtract out fiber). But I know how carbs will slow my weight loss, so I'm hoping it wont throw me for a loop and I continue to lose weight and inches. I weigh in tomorrow and I'll find out then.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I haven't in awhile but occasionally I'll eat some berries!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I like to eat some berries as a treat. I occasionally have half an apple - usually granny smith. Once I get closer to my goal weight I intend to include fruit in my diet as a way of reintroducing healthy carbs.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have a green apple. Mmm.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a fan of fruit in general but when I want it I have it and I've done well on the woe regardless. It you're still getting adjusted you may want to wait a few months or more to start adding sweet stuff in. It can make things difficult in the beginning.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I hear you, OP. I haven't had any fruit for about a month and I don't especially miss it, but every time I go to the store I find myself by the apple bin... So I guess I miss apples. lol
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    When I make my kombucha, I add in some apples, or even pineapple, then let it ferment a second time. The bacteria eat out the sugars and makes it very fizzy. Tastes great and is good for you.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    So far I pretty much stick to small servings (2-3 ounces) of berries when I'm in the mood for fruit. Sometimes I'll allow myself an apricot now and then too...we have a tree in the yard that gives the juiciest, sweetest apricots that totally blow away store-bought apricots. I do miss bananas and apples though. If a recipe I am making calls for a small amount of a high-carb fruit but the carbs per serving aren't too high, then I will allow myself to have some. For example, in the holiday months leading up to Christmas last year I found and made up a LC recipe for ambrosia and it had some mandarin oranges in there. I purposefully did not buy CUTIES because they are SO sweet and sugar-laden. Was good but it worked with my daily carb/sugar numbers and was a nice treat/break from the norm at the time.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I eat berries at times (or occasionally other fruits, but not often) but like pp's said watch the servings if you're keto b/c the carbs can still add up fast!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When I was at 35 net grams of carbs (about 50 total usually) I'd have 1/2 c of raspberries or blackberries. Fortunately it never triggered cravings for me. I'm trying to stay under 10 g total now, even lower when possible, with my sugar at 5 g max, so I skip it, but hope to be able to increase in the future so I can have fruit again.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I put a small amount of raspberries and blueberries into a 1 litre bottle of chilled water. I then get to nibble them as I also get my water amount in.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Freeze the berries, then suck on them and when they melt enough, chew em up! Slows you down and intensifies the flavours. I also like to eat the crabapples fresh off my tree. You can't eat many but they are so intense it's like eating sour patch candy. All you need is 1 or 2 tiny ones.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Portions of berries or melon are my go-to. I used to be worried they would effect my cravings so only had them once a week but now I know they don't, i have them every other day as a treat. In the evening I either have a small bit of fruit or a square of dark chocolate.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat either a cup of strawberries or a half cup of raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries or a very controlled single applesauce pouch almost every morning. If you're craving fruit go for it!
  • jaketwin123
    jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hi,im in ketosis,before i hated fruit but now i have 5-6 strawberries twice a week and are heaven,i dont seem to have a problem with them ,well not that ive noticed
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    chopped strawberries and hwc are my go-to when I have an ice-cream craving.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Since I have been low carb and try to avoid white sugar & flour, strawberries in particular taste very sweet!