For those who eat bread...

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I've been using the flatout wraps lately. Whatever Costco has at the moment, be it "light" or "protein up, carb down". While I prefer the flavor of the "light" wraps, the "protein up, carb down" wraps are pretty good food delivery systems. And Costco seems to have those more often.

Fooducate gives them a B grade. 18C/10f. Obviously a better fit for those with higher carb thresholds.

We buy a 3 pack at costco and I cook up a batch of meat/chilies in the crock pot and then we create some burritos for lunch.

Today's lunch has 425 calories (I eat a big lunch). 19c/10f/34p/25f.
Damned tasty.

YMMV. Cheers

Replies

• cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We use Aldi's flatout bread for pizza crust. Smear both sides with mushroom infused evoo, toast ever-so-lightly, and top with whatever...appropriate tomato sauce, diced bacon, chicken, broccoli, a few peppers, mushrooms, cheese, and herbs. It's pretty caloric but so very filling and delicious. One of these fixes my pizza craving, whereas I could eat half a large restaurant -style pizza all by myself before lchf.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    cairnsmom wrote: »
    We use Aldi's flatout bread for pizza crust. Smear both sides with mushroom infused evoo, toast ever-so-lightly, and top with whatever...appropriate tomato sauce, diced bacon, chicken, broccoli, a few peppers, mushrooms, cheese, and herbs. It's pretty caloric but so very filling and delicious. One of these fixes my pizza craving, whereas I could eat half a large restaurant -style pizza all by myself before lchf.

I miss Aldi. Your pizza sounds delicious! Does smearing it with evoo help it crisp up?
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sabine and cairnsmom! I'm always on the lookout for lower carb breads (mostly as receptacles for sandwich fillings). I will have to see if German Aldi has the flatout.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    cairnsmom wrote: »

I will so be trying this. I need to make an Aldi run soon anyway.
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am going to be try a lot of these pizza recipes when I'm home. I always used to eat a large Pappa John's pizza in one setting by myself along with an extra slice or two of my wife's pizza as well. Won't be doing that nonsense anymore.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Not much low carb choice at commissary here in Italy so I kinda gave it up. I have Ezekial sprouted bread in freezer in case I really need it but I gave up on sandwiches. soups, salads and casseroles...I learned to make a noodle- less lasagna here in Italy.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=A61FACFE-47C4-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

These trader joe's sprouted breads are a godsend. 4 net carbs. Every time I make a trek to the store (about an hour from me) I buy 2-4 loaves lol the rye is my favorite. I just toast a slice and cover in butter for a snack if I have a couple extra carbs at the end of the day :)

ETA: Make sure you check the label. My sister read that they are changing manufacturers and it will now be 16 regular carbs (not sure about net) per slice. She was freaking out thinking they were mislabeled but surely TJ would get in HUGE trouble for having that much of a discrepancy? With the FDA or whatever? But anyway. She went as far as to call the TJ corporate office :D and inquire. They assured her when they start rolling out the "new" bread they will have new labels as well.

BUT

for now I'm stockpiling the rye lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=A61FACFE-47C4-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

These trader joe's sprouted breads are a godsend. 4 net carbs. Every time I make a trek to the store (about an hour from me) I buy 2-4 loaves lol the rye is my favorite. I just toast a slice and cover in butter for a snack if I have a couple extra carbs at the end of the day :)

I've heard great things about that kind. I've not been able to find it at my TJs.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    surely TJ would get in HUGE trouble for having that much of a discrepancy? With the FDA or whatever?

Oh, I don't know about that. Costco used to have this magnificent "young phillipine coconut" which was labeled at like 2 net carbs per serving (lots of fiber). We used to buy bags and bags of it. It was amazing!

Well, it was too amazing to be true. They changed the labels and it went up to like 10 net carbs per serving or something (my numbers could be off, I don't remember exactly what it was), and sugar was added to the ingredients. Same coconut. Then it disappeared off the shelves altogether.

Pretty sure they were soaking it in sugar water and it had a LOT more carbs than what was on the label. We should have known.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I ate some low carb tortillas and wraps every day when I was first starting (back then I seemed to need carbs w/my morning Rx). I am experimenting with adding grains back in now. I like Aldi's sprouted grain bread from their organic line.
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options

My husband (lowish carb) loves this bread as well. I had a slice at Christmas, so good!

Thanks for the heads up on the change. Very disappointing so we will need to stock up as well. They recently changed their cream cheese manufacturer as well and the carbs increased to 2 gram/serving.

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love the flat-out things. I use them to make pizza, as my "burrito" on taco night and I've used them for wraps as well. I don't eat them often, but they're really handy for times like that.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    BalmyD wrote: »
    surely TJ would get in HUGE trouble for having that much of a discrepancy? With the FDA or whatever?

Oh, I don't know about that. Costco used to have this magnificent "young phillipine coconut" which was labeled at like 2 net carbs per serving (lots of fiber). We used to buy bags and bags of it. It was amazing!

Well, it was too amazing to be true. They changed the labels and it went up to like 10 net carbs per serving or something (my numbers could be off, I don't remember exactly what it was), and sugar was added to the ingredients. Same coconut. Then it disappeared off the shelves altogether.

Pretty sure they were soaking it in sugar water and it had a LOT more carbs than what was on the label. We should have known.

Well that's disappointing!

I'm going to continue living in la-la-land about the carbs in these breads until I either hit a wall or they actually change the label lol I don't even eat a slice every day or anything (I shoot for 30 net carbs so if I have a day where i'm at like 20 or less i might toast up a slice or two) so I don't think in the long run even if those hidden carbs are in there it's probably (hopefully *crosses fingers*) not going to throw me too far off track.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have tried lots of low carb wraps

The large leafs of romaine work for me now

I guess I just gave up!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have tried lots of low carb wraps

The large leafs of romaine work for me now

I guess I just gave up!

Have you tried blanching a collard green? It makes a great wrap.