so there was this guy in the gym . . .

Options

Replies

• Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This thread made me laugh.

My gym is pretty tame and quiet, how I like it. But this Sunday, this guy I had never seen, was bouncing around the gym lifting this, then that...I tried to not pay attention. He had jeans on and wearing those big beats headphones. He would sing loud to himself, yell out 'oh yea!' and my personal favorite, burping while while walking around.

My 6 year old was with me, likes help mommy put the plates on and count them..he was even eyeballing this guy. After this guy burped a couple of times, my child whispers to me, "Mom, why doesn't' he say excuse me?' Love my kid!
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Vetticus_3 wrote: »
    What is the holding plates when squatting about?
    I saw two guys do it last Friday, and today another guy was doing it.

They seem to put the bar ontop of their shoulders, whereas I don't... still, it looks epic.

I've never seen this! My arms are too short to reach, so I won't be doing it :smile:
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    My 6 year old was with me, likes help mommy put the plates on and count them..he was even eyeballing this guy. After this guy burped a couple of times, my child whispers to me, "Mom, why doesn't' he say excuse me?' Love my kid!

Awww!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    What is the holding plates when squatting about?

i do it sometimes with plates instead of a kettlebell. just another way of front squatting, to me. never needed to take over a rack to do it though.

not sure about the bar on shoulders. do you mean at the same time as they're holding the plates? that i can not help you with. i don't have enough hands, personally.

• Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

not sure about the bar on shoulders. do you mean at the same time as they're holding the plates? that i can not help you with. i don't have enough hands, personally.

Yes! As in a high shoulder barbell squat - with (the guy on Friday did this) 3x 20kg plates each side (EPIC), no cuff, arms extended across the barbell and hands inside the hand-holdy space on the weight.

These guys were literally holding the plates in place on the barbell. I'm trying to find an image on it... but I've come up short. It's sort of like the wide grip... but beyond that wide grip and into insanity.

I definitely did not mean a squat whilst holding onto a weight. That makes sense. This was a move that was created inside the mind of a mandman/genius.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    wow. i've seen clips of powerlifters squatting with their hands way out there on the plates, but i always heard that's only for people whose shoulder mobility doesn't let them grip close.

according to mark rippetoe, though, doing stuff like that is 'silly'. i see his point about how you're not increasing your safety margin by trusting your grip to a thing that rotates.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Yes! As in a high shoulder barbell squat - with (the guy on Friday did this) 3x 20kg plates each side (EPIC), no cuff, arms extended across the barbell and hands inside the hand-holdy space on the weight.

These guys were literally holding the plates in place on the barbell. I'm trying to find an image on it... but I've come up short. It's sort of like the wide grip... but beyond that wide grip and into insanity.

I definitely did not mean a squat whilst holding onto a weight. That makes sense. This was a move that was created inside the mind of a mandman/genius.

This is what I saw too. It was like they were holding the plates on the bar like there were no clips available. But there were clips, because I left them when I gave them the rack.
  • Vetticus_3
    Options
    Maybe this move was featured in the latest men's health body building weekly magazine.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Options
    Yesterday I finally saw a guy in the gym working out in jeans and a shirt! I have read stories about this, but had never seen one in the wild before. :smiley:
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I do KB workouts at home & use a 20 pounder, 12 for crush curls and such. I have dropped to 20 while doing "Around the worlds". And I'm pretty certain that one day, when I'm doing swings, that KB is going to go right through a window.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    mr squats in my friday club was apologizing to mr t for having (maybe) bled on one of his bars earlier in the week. explains why he thinks it, and then he says 'so anyway, of course you realize that if i did then i just turned it gay.'

there's this pause, people just carrying on with their lives. and then mr michigan suddenly says: "so now it's a gay bar."
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Options
    Went do a different gym and there was this couple there. The guy couldn't squat or bench with proper form (half-reps) but that didn't stop him "teaching" his girlfriend. On the bench, after he took a set of half-reps, he put her on and "spotted" her by holding the bar the entire time. It was kind of funny to watch. Also, this gym was huge but the weights room was tiny and had 8 benches, 2 squat racks and nowhere to deadlift. It was a different experience altogether. Was glad to get back to my normal gym.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    two little girls in the gym last time i was in. i usually try to be very solidarity and everything when it's younger women, but these two made it just as hard as some of the very young bro-clusters do.

i get frustrated when people are really clearly treating the gym like an extension of the food court in some mall. i keep telling myself it's not my business, because it kind of isn't. but it IRKS me when people can't even interrupt their bitchy gossiping about someone who isn't there, even while performing a so-called 'squat'.

you're not actually 'lifting' if you're running your mouth the whole time, damn it. get out of the rack and go paint each other's toenails or something . . . somewhere like your own room.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this guy didn't realize that he had some, um, flesh bulging sideways out of one of the legs of his shorts while he was seated at one of the machines. At least I hope not, because if he did, that's a whole different "guy in the gym" story. I blushed like a 12-year-old and ran. Reminded me of this infamous photo of a woman with a flesh-colored bike saddle, but he wasn't on a bicycle:

07fxln77nx7j.jpeg
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Options
    :lol: Oh my!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Options
    Couple loudly kissing on the gym floor. Several times throughout their session. Is this ridiculous or is it just me?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    sucampbeN wrote: »
    Couple loudly kissing on the gym floor. Several times throughout their session. Is this ridiculous or is it just me?

eugh. not loudly, eugh eugh. did they lift loudly too?

• canadianlbs
    Options
    so i'm gonna say something. i don't see a lot of this woman-coaching-woman-friend pairings in the rec centres, but when i do they are usually pretty horrible. not just clueless about etiquette, but blithe and selfish and oblivious too. so it's not even like they learn from the mistakes that they make as they go.

so today there was a new pair: deadlift barbie and her cabbage patch friend. horrible coaching from barbie, and not just from ignorance. she had beautiful form herself, and she pulled 165 easily while making a persistent point of how 'out of training' she was. when it came to her friend though, she just didn't care. actually watched her pull from six inches in front of her, no set up, no getting tight, nothing, no information, back all rounded . . . and said 'good' while scrolling her phone. urk.

i heard them yattering away post work out in the stretch zone and it turned out the two of them are both wrestlers. sidekick was going on about some fight or match or whatever she'd had recently. and then they both talked about tattoos for the rest of the time.

i see women in the gym. i like most of the women i see in the gym. why are the ones who come in pairs such obnoxious weenies?
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Options
    sucampbeN wrote: »

eugh. not loudly, eugh eugh. did they lift loudly too?

Hehe. He did make a bit of noise during deadlifts but I'm down with that. Not such a fan of the lip-smacking PDAs. :smile:
  • Vetticus_3
    Options
    Today I was the only female in the weights room - and it was quite strange.
    I had just finished my squats (67.5kg! yay)... and then cooled down with 40kgs (so, 10kgs on each side). In the rack beside be was a big rugby player type guy (who I hadn't seen before). He was sitting up and bench pressing really heavy weights.
    So, I took of one 10kg plate - because it was time to move on - but before I could take the other one off... he jumped up from his seat and took it off for me.
    I said thanks, and he had this really goofy smile on his face - and muttered that he though I was finished. I said, no, not yet. And he wandered off to the wide press machine but between sets he'd walk almost up to me, and then turn back.
    One of the trainers came up and started talking to him about rugby...
    But he kept on looking around at what I was doing. Perhaps seeing a girl was a novelty? It was really odd.

In other news, I've realized that I make faces when I lift heavy. I look like an angry Hector "Tio" Salamanca from Breaking Bad.