Food Suggestions?

Options
PLGlass131
PLGlass131 Posts: 50 Member
Anyone have any high fat but low protein food options? I'm good on getting my protein in but I cant quite seem to high my fat goal without going over my protein goal. I went grocery shopping yesterday and did make sure to get meats with more fat on them.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good, though I will point out that poultry in general tends to be more lean. You can get fattier pork if you have farms around you (you probably do, check out http://eatwild.com/ for farms near you). Most store stuff's been trimmed to hell.

Also, review your cooking methods. Frying the pork chops in butter, bacon grease, or duck fat will increase the fat amount without any perceived change. Don't forget to add butter or other fat to your sides, like the green beans.

Is there any particular reason why you're restricting protein so much? At a 1700 calorie base, you should be able to consume closer to 100g without much issue. It might work better for you to tweak your fat and protein amount a little bit.
  • PLGlass131
    Options
    @Dragonwolf onwolf I'll try tweaking it on the calculator to 100g. I thought 83g was a little low for the amount of fat it wanted me to eat. After I posted this, I read something stating that as long as my fat intake is more than my protein that I should be ok as well.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with hwc, use butter to cook or on veggies, use full fat salad dressings, etc. You can also do the bulletproof coffee w/ butter and coconut or MCT oils.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    PLGlass131 wrote: »
    @Dragonwolf onwolf I'll try tweaking it on the calculator to 100g. I thought 83g was a little low for the amount of fat it wanted me to eat. After I posted this, I read something stating that as long as my fat intake is more than my protein that I should be ok as well.

The fat to protein ratio is fairly individual, based on a number of factors. A good starting point is having them both even, then tweaking from there based on satiety and whatnot.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I have been working on the premise that protein is the only goal you should reach, whereas fat and carbs are an upper limit. Protein is to prevent losing muscle (and hair amongst other things) where you eat fat to satiety.

For example, if your fat goal is 100g but you feel satisfied having only eaten 70g, then you are okay to stop.

If you are not hungry OP, then you don't necessarily need to eat more fat.
  • retro_belle24
    retro_belle24 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @anglyn1 what does HWC mean?
  • PLGlass131
    Options
    @retro_belle24 it means heavy whipping cream
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I have been working on the premise that protein is the only goal you should reach, whereas fat and carbs are an upper limit. Protein is to prevent losing muscle (and hair amongst other things) where you eat fat to satiety.

For example, if your fat goal is 100g but you feel satisfied having only eaten 70g, then you are okay to stop.

If you are not hungry OP, then you don't necessarily need to eat more fat.

I agree, with one caveat.

I wouldn't call fat an upper limit, I'd call it more of a guideline. On hungry days, it's okay to eat over, especially if you're under on non-hungry days. If you're finding yourself not eating up to goal all the time, then you need to honor your hunger on hungry days, in my opinion.
  • KittenToni
    KittenToni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    oops just saw this after I made my post.