Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Yoga

dulcitonia
dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
Anyone practice yoga regularly? I am wanting to build core strength, flexibility and mindfulness. I hike and kayak but I don't bend well :).
How long did it take you to get comfortable with the basic poses without discomfort?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I haven't in a long time. Usually takes me about a week to ten days to feel comfortable and notice increased flexibility. I'm always amazed how quickly my body reacts to yoga.
  • dulcitonia
    Great so there is hope! How long of sessions did you usually do?
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    I enjoy yoga, and I'm good with basic poses, but I don't do is as consistently as I should. I'm trying to get back into it. If you do it consistently for a while, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. Just give it a few weeks.
  • auntstephie321
    Anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. Used to do 30-60 minutes a couple times a week. I haven't done any since last summer. I should get back in to it.
  • dulcitonia
    We should just post our sessions if it helps motivation.
    E.g. Today I did 15mins of strength poses... Shook like crazy in half boat!
  • auntstephie321
    Very nice. Maybe I'll start back to, would probably be good since I just started jogging recently too.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    I do it twice a week for 30 mins. I wish it was daily. It is a class offered through my job. I missed it today so I think I may get a yoga video and do some at home on the days I don't have it. I have noticed downward dog is getting easier and my warrior poses....
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    I typically do an hour 3 - 4x per week. I've been slacking some in the past few weeks. I found that the shaking improved in tye first week or two, but strength building has been a journey, and will continue to be. Yoga is all about your individual practice; it's always evolving.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    I just started a "chair" yoga class yesterday. It's a pilot program my company is ruining and I hope it sticks. I sometimes have a hard time with regular yoga, specifically my joints. The biggest thing I learned is that I love yoga but I need it in class form to keep me focused.
  • dulcitonia
    I think a class would be awesome. I'm using a pretty good app.
    Well today I did 15min of flexibility poses. Man I'm not flexible but I can really see how these stretches and holds can release tension and help stress.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    I try to do three yoga classes a week, and two Pilates classes a week. I mostly do a "power" yoga, but am interested in trying YIN yoga.
    I find that Pilates and yoga are very complementary.

I've never been very bendy, but do find that that is improving A LOT as time goes on. I think it also helps me not injure myself running.
  • auntstephie321
    What app are you using
  • dulcitonia
    Yoga studio
  • auntstephie321
    Cool thanks