Yoga

dulcitonia
dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
Anyone practice yoga regularly? I am wanting to build core strength, flexibility and mindfulness. I hike and kayak but I don't bend well :).
How long did it take you to get comfortable with the basic poses without discomfort?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I haven't in a long time. Usually takes me about a week to ten days to feel comfortable and notice increased flexibility. I'm always amazed how quickly my body reacts to yoga.
  • dulcitonia
    Great so there is hope! How long of sessions did you usually do?
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    I enjoy yoga, and I'm good with basic poses, but I don't do is as consistently as I should. I'm trying to get back into it. If you do it consistently for a while, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. Just give it a few weeks.
  • auntstephie321
    Anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. Used to do 30-60 minutes a couple times a week. I haven't done any since last summer. I should get back in to it.
  • dulcitonia
    We should just post our sessions if it helps motivation.
    E.g. Today I did 15mins of strength poses... Shook like crazy in half boat!
  • auntstephie321
    Very nice. Maybe I'll start back to, would probably be good since I just started jogging recently too.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    I do it twice a week for 30 mins. I wish it was daily. It is a class offered through my job. I missed it today so I think I may get a yoga video and do some at home on the days I don't have it. I have noticed downward dog is getting easier and my warrior poses....
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    I typically do an hour 3 - 4x per week. I've been slacking some in the past few weeks. I found that the shaking improved in tye first week or two, but strength building has been a journey, and will continue to be. Yoga is all about your individual practice; it's always evolving.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    I just started a "chair" yoga class yesterday. It's a pilot program my company is ruining and I hope it sticks. I sometimes have a hard time with regular yoga, specifically my joints. The biggest thing I learned is that I love yoga but I need it in class form to keep me focused.
  • dulcitonia
    I think a class would be awesome. I'm using a pretty good app.
    Well today I did 15min of flexibility poses. Man I'm not flexible but I can really see how these stretches and holds can release tension and help stress.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    I try to do three yoga classes a week, and two Pilates classes a week. I mostly do a "power" yoga, but am interested in trying YIN yoga.
    I find that Pilates and yoga are very complementary.

I've never been very bendy, but do find that that is improving A LOT as time goes on. I think it also helps me not injure myself running.
  • auntstephie321
    What app are you using
  • dulcitonia
    Yoga studio
  • auntstephie321
    Cool thanks