What to pack for hospital?

Options
Lori_Pensel
Lori_Pensel Posts: 34 Member
I have my surgery on April 4th. What should I pack? All suggestions helpful!!!! Thank you!!! Super excited :smiley:

Replies

• krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Congrats! I didn't pack much for the hospital. It's a lot of sleeping and walking with the nurse, so when I wasn't doing either of those I was basicly was zoned out in front of the tv. I barely even used my phone (which is unusual for me). So I'd say don't bother bringing a book or iPad.

The three things I was glad I had were chapstick, comfy pj's that were easy to sleep in and walk around in, and my own fluffy slippers with grippy bottoms so I didn't have to rely on the hospital socks (that way I could be barefoot and then just slip them on).

Good luck! I'm sure you're going to do great!
  • BStruble2
    BStruble2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Flip flops, your own pillow, comfies, and iPad/phone and charger. I slept most of the time.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I walked a mile the night of my surgery...I was very happy that I had my music to listen to and had my own slippers. I didn't sleep much at all but I was happy to have my own pillow when I was in bed.

Lip balm for sure! I was very thirsty and chapped when I woke up.

Luckily, I just spent one night for my surgery...otherwise I would have lost my mind.

I ended up being re-admitted 10 days after my surgery with pneumonia and pancreatitis. I spent 4 more nights in the hospital and DID almost lose my mind then...in the spaces when I wasn't looped out on morphine.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    An extension cord for my charger. That way it was able to charge near me and I could use it at the same time. Other than that, headphones, hard soled slippers, and all my toiletries (toothpaste, lotion, lip balm) because I'm VERY particular and sensitive skin issues.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Happy surgery day!! Come back and let us know how you did when you're feeling up to it.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Don't take a laptop. Take or borrow a tablet. smaller, lighter, less awkward.
  • SmokeRising
    SmokeRising Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My surgery is next week. I am so nervous. These tips are great. I would not have thought of Chapstick.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I hope it went well! My own pillow, slippers, chapstick, lotion, and my phone with a long charging cord and ear buds was about all I needed other than some comfy clothes- I wore yoga pants, shelf tanks, and a comfy zip hoodie the 2 days I spent in the hospital post op and was glad to have my own clothes.
  • Lori_Pensel
    Lori_Pensel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just got home from the hospital. Had to spend an extra night because they were not happy with how ib was drinking. Getting better at it now. Tummy is very very grumbley. No real nausea but tummy is sore.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the other side! Sip, walk, rest, repeat!