Healthy Foods Nutritional challenge

Options
1235»

Replies

• farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    farmerpam1 wrote: »
    My favorite healthy foods revolve around cauliflower. Cauliflower pizza, grilled cheese, "mashed"potatoes, etc. I think I love it because it takes the place of bread, rice and potatoes. Those starchy, creamy, bready calories that are so filling. With a little bit of creativity I can get those characteristics with cauliflower. I can top a bowl of cauliflower "rice" with a ton of stir fry veggies or turn it into a Mexican meal with beans. I plan on making cauliflower lasagna today. A quick meal is a bowl of steamed cauliflower with tomato sauce and sprinkle of cheese. Very healthy and filling.

Not sure I did this right. So, I'll give it another try. After giving it some thought I realized what I like about starchy, bready foods is how filling they are. I can get the same effect with these cauliflower versions, which mean I can eat more..not sure that's a good thing, to eat for volume, I mean. :blush:
  • sandkp
    sandkp Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love a lot of unhealthy food... which is why I am here working on my health and weight.

As for healthy food, I LOVE salad. Any kind of salad pretty much is a go for me. I also love comfort food... like meatloaf/mashed potatoes and soups. Steak sub are another favorite.. not the healthiest but we can clean it up! Last Mexican is my spicy favorite... any type of Mexican.. I just love the mix of their spices and flavors.. not to mention their salsa and chips!

For salads, I try to add lots of veggies, some protein and fruits. I have to have my dressing and croutons but find if I add more fruits, I need less dressing. I just have to limit my croutons as I haven't figured out a suitable substitute.. no tortilla strips or such have made the cut.

For meatloaf, I have worked on using either turkey or venison instead of hamburger. Mashed potatoes stay as my three boys left me with the whole tub of ashes cauliflower. I just try to go with less butter, and no salt.

Soups are a favorite.. cream of crab is my fav but not healthy. Since it would be a hot mess to mess with this delight, I trying make it on special occasions and let the calories fly... does pairing bit with low cal crackers help? Vegetable soups are another... I use no salt, low sodium ingredients when I don't use fresh.more vegetables the better...I used tibiae chicken thighs but have switched to breast meat to help.

Steak sub's... use wheat bread.. Hollow it out.. use real steak lean cuts not steak us, lots of onions and peppers to dislodge sandwich. Lettuce and tomatoes, spinach, and a dollop of mayo to wet the bread just a bit. Make sure to dab and drain oils/fat off steak. Helps a bit on damage control.

For Mexican, we have opted for made at home fajitas using chicken breast, shrimp and lean steak. I will sometimes take leaves of lettuce for taco shells and heavy on protein, light on fats (sour cream cheese). Lots of peppers and onions. Sometimes you just have to dip.. so try for the lower salt chips when that hits. For tacos and burritos, no longer ground beef.. use turkey and venison instead. Little or no cheese, light on sour cream, heavy on spices, peppers and onions. I haven't yet found a good make at home soft taco shell but still looking. Best is to make a taco salad... mixing two of my favorites.. adding the spice but getting rid of the chips, taco shells.

I find time/climate works on my brain for what I want... the soups and heavier foods, are colder weather and when I'm pondering or reminiscent steak subs cause they remind me of the Italian place growing up... Mexican I find to want more on weekends for some crazy reason.
  • 20KimmieKim16
    20KimmieKim16 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say that fresh leaf spinach is my favorite healthy food. I love it fresh, and sautéed. I like the slimy texture when it's sautéed and the soft but crisp texture when it's fresh. I use it in lieu of lettuce. Sautéed spinach, onions, and garlic is my favorite.
  • visionmet
    visionmet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1 - I love Tacos!
    2 - I love the seasoning of the ground beef and I love heaping on all the toppings! So many different textures and they come together so nicely!
    3 - Alot of times now I use beans or even chicken or turkey to replace ground beef. I can have the same seasonings but the other alternatives are a lot healthier of choices. I know it doesn't really count as a taco anymore , but I pretty much omit any tortilla and make more of a salad out of it when I am craving tacos. I still heap on toppings but now it's in the form of veggies and I measure out the other things like sour cream and cheese. I've even used greek yogurt in place of sour cream too! Honestly I don't even notice a difference when I measure from when I use to just pile it on...well except in the calories of course!
  • hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Submitting for @ahawkins494 (no access to internet)
    Favorite food is potato chips.
    They are salty and crunchy, but can be addictive!
    To make them healthier, she has been making her own sweet potato chips by baking them with different seasonings. They are a lot less calories and help with the cravings! :smile:
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I love to eat pasta. It's so easy to make, cheap and filling! I love the tomatoes with garlic and other spices and usually sausage or chicken to go with it. To make it healthier, I could switch to chicken sausage instead of the real stuff. I have also shredded carrots and zucchini to put in the sauce. It adds a serving of veggies when there otherwise wouldn't have been any. I haven't tried making "noodles" out of zucchini yet, but I intend to. I've tried the veggie noodles they sell in the store but there's usually a lot of sugar in those. So although I'm still having carb filled regular noodles, the carrots/zucchini in the sauce give it more "umph" and I don't need to eat as much so I think it balances out.
  • AnnmarieSimmons
    AnnmarieSimmons Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like porridge oats in the morning with berries,,,, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. I usually have them with almond milk,, yummy breakfast :)
  • sukkara
    sukkara Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love apple pie, the smell, crunchiness of the shell, and the gooey sweet and tart apple filling <3 But it's one of the richest desserts. I like the pie filling most. Apples are my favourite fruits. So I've tried to make the pie filling without butter and caramel, just cooking apples with lemon and cinnamon. Or apple crisps: slices of apple sprinkled with cinnamon in the oven! A simple, great and frequent snack.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    1. I love comfort foods,: smashed potatoes, mac and cheese, savory soups.
    2. I love the richness of them. The warm items filling up my belly.
    3. I use 2 potatoes and a whole cauliflower to make smashed potatoes more healthier. I use whole wheat pasta in the mac and cheese. And for savory soups, I use lowfat ingredients and MODERATION is key.
  • obxsrfrgrl
    obxsrfrgrl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1. Favorite healthy foods: carrots, cucumbers, apples, green beans, hummus
    2. Why I like them: carrots, cucumbers and apples are crunchy, hummus is yummy and garlicky, green beans I have liked since I was a kid - not really sure why.
    3. How to make them more nutritious: eat organic, eat only the appropriate serving size
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am posting on behalf of @buddahboy87 he is having trouble accessing the community via his phone app. Favorite food is snacks chips etc. these have been replaced with popcorn it still gives you the crunchiness of chips and the hand to mouth motion of snacking. Also can add different of the flavor shakers to them, white cheddar is his favorite.
  • cjborkowski
    cjborkowski Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say that fresh leaf spinach is my favorite healthy food. I love it fresh, and sautéed. I like the slimy texture when it's sautéed and the soft but crisp texture when it's fresh. I use it in lieu of lettuce. Sautéed spinach, onions, and garlic is my favorite.

Funny you mention the texture of cooked spinach cuz I love to put it in soup just for that reason!