April Presses bring May Dresses

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
So that's a little corny, but it's all I got...
I don't mean to monthly thread hog, but I wanted to make sure I reported in. It helps me stay on track ;)

Yesterday lifts:
10min warmup
Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110
Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x75
Row: 5x5x75

Today:
Treadmill: 31 min...jogged, walked at incline

My 'slow down' mentality on the lifts has been a huge help. I'm basically holding at the same lifting weights until I'm pushing through the lifts quickly and with good form. Each 5lb increase is taking weeks to fully master. The goal is to not need long rest periods. It's a time saver and it keeps me from dreading the lifts because of it being too heavy.

This month's main goal, though, is to stay within my calories/carbs range. I was often lazy about it in March and because I'm close-ish to my goal weight, it's nearly impossible to get there without being a food Nazi for a while LOL. So I am going to give it a good effort :)

Replies

• Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I liked the title, was cute. Who knows, maybe I will wear a dress one day....but I doubt it ;D

I like the idea you have at staying at the weight, getting comfortable with it before moving on. The weight on the BP is getting hard to move, and I'm thinking ^%*&%$ not sure if I can go higher next lift. Had to get a random guy at the gym today to spot me, worried I'm going to drop it on my face .....
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My goal for April is to try and stick to my calorie/macro targets better, particularly protein.

Stronglifts A
    SQ: 3x5 at 27.5kg
    BP: 5,5,5,4,4 at 34kg. First failure since I deloaded, pretty happy to have gotten 3kg past the point I deloaded from. I think I should be able to progress a little further still.
    BR: 5x5 at 35kg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    trainer day, being conservative because i tried out my new squat shoes yesterday and kind of tweaked an oblique or a lat or something
    wearing them for dl to see how it felt
    don'ttelltree
    mr squats wears his
    so there

so:

ohp 55, deadlift 125 but i did a loooooooot of volume on my way up with the warmups. basically forgot (again) that the later warmups are only 3 and 2 in his world, so my dl was 5x75/95/105, 7@120 and then 5 more at 125 just to prove that i could.

both lifts felt great actually. i'm currently still in love with easier weights and much better/more conscious form. and i biked there and biked back, which should be a surprise for my non-biking body these days.

also happy to have discovered the spoiler tags work here too!!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    hahaha. I don't always peep into this thread, but I happened to today. MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Does Mr. squat olympic lift? That might be why. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but you're essentially turning your deadlift into a deficit deadlift.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Saturday morning lifts are my favorite - I'm always well rested and I don't usually have to rush through.

10 min warmup
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x65
    Dead: 1x5x120

Going pretty good...
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    hahaha. I don't always peep into this thread, but I happened to today. MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Does Mr. squat olympic lift? That might be why. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but you're essentially turning your deadlift into a deficit deadlift.

idk, what's the diff between an olympic deadlift and a deadlift? i mentioned all this to them yesterday and he just said he likes it. i certainly got a filthy look when i suggested he try fixing his 'pitiful' 480lb deadlift by removing his shoes.

real reason why he finds them difficult is his belly gets in the way of his grip :D guy's built like a mud outhouse but he is STRONG.

• sherocks98
    sherocks98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I have been lurking in this group for a while. You are all awesome and have motivated me to start lifting heavy. Finally, decided to start posting to keep myself accountable
  • sherocks98
    sherocks98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So, here it goes..
    Today warm up in Treadmill 2 miles, medium pace
    SL work out A-
    Squat- 85lbsx5
    OHP- 50lbsx5
    DL- 95lbsx5

Felt pretty good. Want to complete 12 wks and measure myself. Let's hope the scale also cooperates
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

idk, what's the diff between an olympic deadlift and a deadlift? i mentioned all this to them yesterday and he just said he likes it. i certainly got a filthy look when i suggested he try fixing his 'pitiful' 480lb deadlift by removing his shoes.

real reason why he finds them difficult is his belly gets in the way of his grip :D guy's built like a mud outhouse but he is STRONG.

Well there aren't olympic deadlifts per se. A deficit deadlift is one done with the bar at a deficit aka lower than where it usually is. This is usually accomplished by the lifter standing on a 45# plate. It can be done for a few different reasons, but the main idea to make the lift harder by increasing the range of motion. Olympic lifters are those that participate/compete in the snatch and clean+jerk. They wear olympic lifting shoes as they are beneficial to those lifts (not just a clever name). If one were competing in that it makes sense to do accessories wearing what you wear while training your "main" lifts so to speak.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    If one were competing in that it makes sense to do accessories wearing what you wear while training your "main" lifts so to speak.

heh. that makes sense, but i would love to see the guy's face if anybody suggested to him that his deadlifts were mere 'accessories'. he freaking haaaaaaates them.

• lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Saturday morning lifts are my favorite - I'm always well rested and I don't usually have to rush through.

10 min warmup

Going pretty good...

Awesome job! You're doing great. This group has inspired me, too.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Have been doing SL's for almost a month, but it has been an off and on month as I have been away from home and my regular gym, so have been using DB's most of the time and now I am finally back home and back to my gym! I am happy happy happy to be back and now it is time to on track and start shifting these mysterious 20 pounds that crept up on me over this winter, sigh!!!!

Squat: 65lb 5x5

Bench: 55lb 5x5

Row (incline chest) 2x30lb DB's 5x5

Skullcrushers 30lb 3x8

Calf Raises 25lb 3x15

Shrugs 2x20lb DB's 2x15
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Lifted last night after work. It was time to bench and I've never actually done 120 before. I tried the 115 on the max test and when it went so well jumped to 125, which was a barely able to manage type. So, nice to do 120 for 3 sets.

Chapter 7: Bench

Bench 2x8 @ 45, 1x6 @ 75, 1x5 @ 95 and 3x1 @ 120

db bench press 4x4 @ 40
    bent over row 4x6 @ 90

cable tricep pushdown 3x10 @ 80
    cable bicep curl 3x10 @ 60

That is all. Very pleased that 120 went well as I didn't fail or anything on it. One more weekend of lifting then it's rest until the meet. Getting closer, so quick and slow at the same time.

Also... I woke up with throat aching, head hurts too and sinus are starting to act up. So, time of month and possible cold. Argh!
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hit a milestone today with deadlifts! Did 1 plate today, which feels super fancy because I'm not doing the little weights anymore. :lol:

Squats: 5x5 @ 95
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 135 (YAY!)
    Benchpress 5x5 @ 75

New PRs in everything. I don't think I've hit my real strength in squats. Deads felt very heavy and difficult today, but my husband said my form was great, so we'll see how things go Tuesday. It will look silly with plates and 2.5s. Haha. :)

Bench felt good today, challenging for sure. I failed 75 last time, so I was glad to do it today successfully. I actually failed my first set because I hit my bar on the rack, and got distracted so I had to start over.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ugh, my regular change of season head cold right on cue. I am a healthy person, yet I will get a head cold nearly every autumn and spring without fail. Rolled around in apathy last night, really wanting to binge. Luckily the cupboards were bare and I didn't have the energy to drive to town to restock.

Didn't get in the way of Stronglifts this morning, although I was glad that OHP had just been deloaded, because I would have failed miserably at 25kg today.

SQ: 3x5 at 27.5kg
    OHP: 5x5 at 22.5kg
    Hip Thrust: 5x5 at 22.5kg
    DL: 1x5 at 60kt, 1x5 at 75kg
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    I liked the title, was cute. Who knows, maybe I will wear a dress one day....but I doubt it ;D

I like the idea you have at staying at the weight, getting comfortable with it before moving on. The weight on the BP is getting hard to move, and I'm thinking ^%*&%$ not sure if I can go higher next lift. Had to get a random guy at the gym today to spot me, worried I'm going to drop it on my face .....

I have had to repeat bench and overhead presses because I definitely hit my strength wall - no shame in repeating! Fortunately my husband and I lift together, so I have a spotter. Before I was lifting, my husband has had to do what he calls the "roll of shame" where he rolled the barbell down to his hips and tipped it onto the floor. He asked me today, "how would that work for you? Could you even do that with boobs?" :lol:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    He asked me today, "how would that work for you? Could you even do that with boobs?" :lol:

wow. this from the owner of a penis . . . although maybe i know less than i thought i did about penis behaviour in the wild.

i had a good day today at the gym. which was nice. i'm sort of onto 5/3/1 rep scheme now, but i talked to mr t and also feel free to go further/do other stuff.

bench, doing 5-3-1, week 2. 5x 45/45/50/55, 3x65, 6@75. then i felt like i was only just really getting my form sorted out when it was over, so i dropped down and did another 5x65. lot of extra volume but it feels good because 80 was too hard for me to trust myself only about 10 days ago, and 75 felt just fine today even after all those warmup reps.

rows 3x8x50, 8x60, 3x5x65. volume rather than weight because was wearing squat shoes and also had a tweaked lat/oblique/quadratus lumborum/something a few days ago. this all felt great.

squats: nope. but i did 3x8 front squats with 30lb, and tried a few sets of 5 with teh bar, front and back. some kind of pinch/impingement in my left tfl/it band/something that i could not get worked out. but i did something for sure because my glutes were quite sore.

walked around block in between, did stretching and rolling, and filled in with very light deficit deadlifts (off shores) and some lat pulldown work.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    @lwhayes820 - Thanks! I'm in a pretty good groove, I'm happy this group has inspired you. It's definitely worth it to lift!
    @5minty - Welcome back to doing SL; I always feel better when I come back after an involuntary hiatus (injury, etc.) :)
    @DawnEmbers - Holy cow! 120 on the bench is pretty fantastic...I think I've only made it up to 90. I'm hoping my new method of slowly creeping up will be more helpful in actually building the strength up. Slow and steady ya know? :)
    @melodiclyrics - Congrats on the big-girl plates, I was happy when I made it to the 35 plates, 45 isn't too far off! OH, and I hate it when I hit the rack somewhere and get all distracted and wobbly. I've done that with squats before and it throws me all off. I have a power rack, so I'm pretty good with artificial spotting. I still don't feel invincible, so moving up super slow is fine ;)
    @canadianlbs - lol @ penis behaviour in the wild. The boob thing was funny, I have to admit. It would not feel so good to have bench weight fall on the girls!

Nothing for me today but rest. Previous days went like this:
    Sunday: Built my tiny garden and planted some seeds, partially detailed my kid-hauler, cleaned up some and did the grocery shopping. Plenty of movement in my book!
    Saturday: 10 min warm up
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110
    It all felt pretty good...maybe another week at 110 on the squats and I'll bump up again. Slow's good.

I woke up on the bit-chy side of the bed this morning, so I'm fighting myself to snap out of my mood. I'm somewhat winning, but I still want to throw things at annoying people - clearly I need to work on that. >:)
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you on the bitchiness...the last couple of days I have just wanted to run and hide. Between yelling at my husband and crying the next minute, I am about to dive into a hole somewhere.
  • klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started back on StrongLifts today after 6 weeks off for an arm injury. The workout felt great! Sitting down and standing up tomorrow is going to hurt!

Today's workout:

Squat: 5X5 85lb
    Bench: 5X5 75lb
    Row: 5X5 55lb