Hello ketosis!

catbrand
catbrand Posts: 227 Member
Wow, as the title says I got hold of some ketostix today and I knew before I used one it would be positive, loving the extra energy I've got and the reduced appetite, I feel so much better than when I was on a low cal diet.

I'm just cooking up my first batch of bone broth using a chicken carcass, not sure what I'll do with it... drink it as it is make it into a soup for lunch, looking forward to trying it though.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    It's sort of fun in a weird way to get those ketostix to change colour, isn't it? ;) Glad it is working well for you.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Best of success.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    It's a wonderful thing!! Good for you!
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    That's awesome!
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    :)
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Are these very expensive? I would like to get some and test it out just to see if I'm moving in the right direction after sliding backwards a bit....
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    @emilybeaver The Ketostix I got were from the Walmart pharmacy and cost me $8 for a pack of 60 sticks.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    I paid £5.50 in sainsburys for mine, but you can get them on amazon too. I think they're a great little tool, having proof that I am in ketosis is enough to make me stay on track when I'm missing carbs!
  • nvmomketo
    edited April 2016
    They aren't always totally accurate though. I ate meat, eggs, and coconut oil for the last 4 days, and I still only get trace ketones. :D
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2016
    ebay.com/itm/Advance-Police-Digital-Breath-Alcohol-Tester-Breathalyzer-Analyzer-Detector-usa-/272121315206?hash=item3f5bb1bf86:g:w-8AAOSwFqJWqh5K

Must be another thread were I just posted my way to monitor if I am in ketosis or not and at what relative level. The cheap ones do not filter out false readings when acetone. Last night I was at 0.029 and like 0.075 tonight. A 0.050 is what I shoot for but different meters will read different but the same meter results are repeatable.

These are ballpark only but cut out the pissing part. :)

Someone took the guts used in these and sell it as some kind of blow glow stick.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2016
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    They aren't always totally accurate though. I ate meat, eggs, and coconut oil for the last 4 days, and I still only get trace ketones. :D

Well you know meat and eggs can lower ketone levels because half of protein can become glucose and knock you out of ketosis if high enough. :)
  • nvmomketo

Well you know meat and eggs can lower ketone levels because half of protein can become glucose and knock you out of ketosis if high enough. :)

Nah. I'm always trace unless I stop eating for a couple of days. I'm just weird that way. ;) Plus my protein isn't up by much - maybe 80g. I don't enjoy meat enough to be a really good carnivore yet. LOL
  • GaleHawkins

Nah. I'm always trace unless I stop eating for a couple of days. I'm just weird that way. ;) Plus my protein isn't up by much - maybe 80g. I don't enjoy meat enough to be a really good carnivore yet. LOL

For some reason but no that I know I eat much less meat on the WOE than ever in my life. I had tuna and cashews for lunch however.