"Why do you swim 4 miles?"

Options
2»

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I'm still working up to doing a 10 mile swim. Next step will be doing two 4 mile swims in one day.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    @fishgutzy , I've always meant to ask how long it takes you to get in your 4 miles. I figure at my pace that would take me about 3.2 hours!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    @fishgutzy , I've always meant to ask how long it takes you to get in your 4 miles. I figure at my pace that would take me about 3.2 hours!
    Takes my about 2:15.
    5 miles takes just under 3 hours.
    10km takes about 3:30-3:40.
    Next mile stones I want to break are 8 and 10 mile swims.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing pace envy, @fishgutzy !
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    No, don't be pace envious. When I was focusing on speed is when I started having injuries. Now I swim more slowly on purpose. Used to do a mile in 29.5 minutes and was trying to sustain that pace for 3 miles. Not worth it.

By the way, Noel, I think you recommended some kind of swimming program to me once to help with improving my stroke to better avoid injuries. At the time I was just following my Physical Therapist's directions. Now that I'm done with PT, I want to look into the program you recommended but can't find the thread anymore. Was it Total Immersion or something else?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I think it was TI, but I don't remember off the top of my head.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I had also heard of them independently and was thinking of taking one of their workshops. I have started Terry's most recent book and, in general, I like the philosophy. I think I have been intuitively following their philosophy all along, but time will if I do one of their workshops.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    @Robertus Very true on pace. Slowing down a little, stretching out the stroke work to increase endurance.
    My conundrum now is working on shorter intervals at a faster pace but still doing the full planned long distance. My thinking is that this can help me get down my sustainable lap time.
    The intervals come faster when I have fully recovered from a month away in China. Push hard for a 20 or 40 laps segment then back down a little to a slightly relaxed pace.