Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Now that we know LDL has no prediction power on heart disease I am waiting on it to drop at some future test.

Here's an interesting observation in a study published in 2015 in the Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism (p 13):

We have seen in this section that survival rate is definitely
    better in elderly people with high total or LDL cholesterol
    levels than in those with low levels. The proportion
    of people with FH [familial hypercholesterolemia] or similar conditions
    among the elderly population is much smaller than that among
    younger populations, which explains why an inverse correlation
    between total cholesterol (or LDL cholesterol)
    and all-cause mortality becomes prominent with age in
    all countries (see fig. 3-4 in Chapter 3).

High LDL cholesterol levels might also be related to
    better cognitive function. The memory function of 193
    functionally independent and community-dwelling elderly
    participants aged ≥80 years was cross-sectionally
    examined in the Key to Optimal Cognitive Aging
    ( KOCOA) Project, a prospective study undertaken in
    Okinawa, Japan. High LDL cholesterol levels and low
    triglyceride/HDL cholesterol ratios were associated with
    high Scenery Picture Memory Test scores after adjustment
    for many confounding factors. When viewed together
    with the data presented above on cholesterol and
    longevity, it seems clear that high cholesterol levels should
    not be considered unhealthy especially in elderly people

While I have not seen any research on it some write books about statins being behind a good chunk of alzheimer's cases today. If I find it I will post but I think total cholesterol under 200 increases chance of dementia.

My BP was never really bad calling peaks like 135/90. Last reading was like 116/68 maybe.

I have been fish oil heavily since 1996 and never smoked, drank, done drugs or ran around with people who did those things. :smiley:

The time I spent with Amway before they kicked me out may have saved my life because that was where I learned about fish oil.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    DH's cardiologist actually told him not to take fish oil supplements (but he is encouraged to eat fish twice a week) because it's linked to increase rates of prostate cancer. :/ Anyone else familiar with that?
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2016
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    DH's cardiologist actually told him not to take fish oil supplements (but he is encouraged to eat fish twice a week) because it's linked to increase rates of prostate cancer. :/ Anyone else familiar with that?

Fish and Prostate Cancer Risk: Fact or Fiction
    lifeextension.com/Featured-Articles/2013/8/Fish-and-Prostate-Cancer-Risk-Fact-or-Fiction/Page-01

drsinatra.com/debunking-the-cancer-myth-the-health-benefits-of-omega-3s-against-prostate-cancer/

drhyman.com/blog/2013/07/26/can-fish-oil-cause-prostate-cancer/

In light of the thoughts of that study posted being non science I will run with this two year newer research and keep popping the fish oil and krill oil. None of us would be doing LCHF if we listen to non science masquerading as real science.
    nutraingredients.com/Research/Omega-3-may-help-fight-prostate-cancer
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Now that we know LDL has no prediction power on heart disease I am waiting on it to drop at some future test.

Here's an interesting observation in a study published in 2015 in the Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism (p 13):

We have seen in this section that survival rate is definitely
    better in elderly people with high total or LDL cholesterol
    levels than in those with low levels. The proportion
    of people with FH [familial hypercholesterolemia] or similar conditions
    among the elderly population is much smaller than that among
    younger populations, which explains why an inverse correlation
    between total cholesterol (or LDL cholesterol)
    and all-cause mortality becomes prominent with age in
    all countries (see fig. 3-4 in Chapter 3).

High LDL cholesterol levels might also be related to
    better cognitive function. The memory function of 193
    functionally independent and community-dwelling elderly
    participants aged ≥80 years was cross-sectionally
    examined in the Key to Optimal Cognitive Aging
    ( KOCOA) Project, a prospective study undertaken in
    Okinawa, Japan. High LDL cholesterol levels and low
    triglyceride/HDL cholesterol ratios were associated with
    high Scenery Picture Memory Test scores after adjustment
    for many confounding factors. When viewed together
    with the data presented above on cholesterol and
    longevity, it seems clear that high cholesterol levels should
    not be considered unhealthy especially in elderly people

Agreed, cholesterol lowering meds are pretty redundant to be using especially in high doses for the elderly...the Framingham CV Risk calculator doesn't seem to realize that 10 year mortality won't matter much in people with only a few years left to live. Minimum dosing or every other day dosing provides about the same benefit if used at all.

Another interesting aspect about cholesterol is that people with abnormally low cholesterol have higher tendency for criminal activity (really bizarre)
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks, @GaleHawkins! I'll pass those on to DH.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Thanks, @GaleHawkins! I'll pass those on to DH.

I wish him the best in the mist of confusing medical info. I expect I am walking and talking today because of 20 years of very heavy fish oil capsules usage. When I went off sugar and all grains late 2014 and really knocked the inflammation down the body was able to start recovering. While it may have not been the fish oil I really do not know any 65 year old guys in my area that take no Rx meds and are not under a doctor's care for any health concern.

I got off of Indocin Sept 2004 after a serious fall and went to 20 capsules of fish oil daily to take a bite off the edge of my pain. drugs.com/mtm/indomethacin.html

Nothing has managed my pain levels like LCHF has for the past 18 months that I have been on the WOE. I added Chanca Piedra about a month ago and it seems to be addressing the pain that may be related to calcium deposits because I am moving more freely. rain-tree.com/chanca-techreport.pdf
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just had blood drawn today to check cholesterol. I'm excited to see the new numbers, hoping they're not scary. I'll post my comparison as you did yours. My last lab work was in early October. Yours look great!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I really do not know any 65 year old guys in my area that take no Rx meds and are not under a doctor's care for any health concern.

Nor do I.

What an inspiration you are!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The problem with some elderly, like my parents, believe the medications they take for type 2 diabetes gives them permission to eat what they want! We have a generation of people who think medicine is taking care of them!! @GaleHawkins is a true inspiration!!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    CMYKRGB wrote: »
    I just had blood drawn today to check cholesterol. I'm excited to see the new numbers, hoping they're not scary. I'll post my comparison as you did yours. My last lab work was in early October. Yours look great!

Thanks! I'll look forward to seeing your comparison as well.

And thanks, @GaleHawkins! That's great you have figured out what helped you.