New to the keto diet...Help with questions??

Options
MimiDuv
MimiDuv Posts: 1 Member
Hi guys, new here....This is my first time doing the keto diet. I have done Paleo/Whole30 in the past and done well but wanted to give Keto a try. Keto diet seems to be very similar to Whole30 outside of having dairy vs having fruit. My question is, like when it says we can have full fat ranch or mayo, what are we looking out to make sure it doesn't contain?? Just sugar, soy and carb content?? In general, what are the things to look out for in foods? Preservatives?
And my next question is, how do you all handle going out? do you just use generic typical counts for the food or do we need to know the breakdown of steak seasoning,salad dressing, etc.?? Thank you guys in advance :smile:

Replies

• Avienda555
    Avienda555 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like whole 30 focus on high quality fats and no sugar or high carb ingredients. So for example, whole 30 may say dates or honey are OK, but not on keto.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When going out I get dressing on the side. Blue cheese or oil and vinegar. Most other dressings have a lot of sugar.

I guesstimate the weight of my steaks. I don't add any seasoning beside salt, pepper and BUTTER!! You can always ask for your food to be unseasoned. Tell them you have several food allergies and prefer your steak/chicken Etc to be naked before being cooked. Even a lot of the rubs include a lot of sugar. Good luck!!
  • prenes
    prenes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Almost any restaurant will have something you can either replace or simply not get. say Mexican you can get fajitas cut the rice and beans and eat the sour cream an guac. no tortillas. mexican salad no shell. Italian I get a great shrimp or chicken dish with a cream sauce and I ask to substitute the noodles for steamed broccoli. the cream and chicken on the broccoli is amazing. Hamburgers-Hold the bun. Pizza?- ask for crustless pizza.

Keto is primarily about getting your body to burn fat and produce ketones. so the MAJOR consideration is keeping carbs very low. ~20g per day. Note that some dairy (skim milk, 2% milk- the lactose will turn into glucose in the body) however whole cream and hard cheese has less lactose so you are fine.

preservatives generally will not kick you out of keto-clean eating is a choice above and beyond keto. however keto is a hormone control way of eating first so many will try to go unprocessed as much as affordable.

fruit is really a no on keto, however berries in moderation are ok. (especially with carb free whipped cream)
  • shaghaf
    shaghaf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am also new and I hope this life style work for me I have suffered a lot with food issues
    How do u know u r in Keto? I don't know if thy sell the strips to check the urine in my country
    Thx
  • KW801
    KW801 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    shaghaf wrote: »
    How do u know u r in Keto? I don't know if thy sell the strips to check the urine in my country

Hi, and welcome! I've been doing keto for a little over a month, and I've found this reddit thread to have a LOT of information on ketostix
    https://m.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2wsu0u/psa_when_and_how_to_use_ketostix_on_a_ketogenic/
  • missabbyb
    missabbyb Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm about to start creeping my way into ketosis tomorrow. I'm a teacher so meal prep is a big part of my life and plan to do all my cooking for the week, today. My question: Is that okay? I don't see much meal prep out there. I just won't have time to cook. Lol.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    1) Full fat ranch or mayo - just look for low carb. The reason for going for full fat is because reduced fat products usually add sugar to make the product taste better, which of course adds carbs and makes people gain weight.
    2) Going out - Most places offer a "protein style" option. Jimmy johns has an "unwich" option which is a lettuce wrap instead of the sub bun, with all the fillings. Taco bell allows you to have the fillings in a bowl. Most other places offer a lettuce wrap burger option. Fancier places you can do a steak and salad, be careful about added croutons or dressing though.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @missabbyb There's a lot of meal prep happening on Sundays for a lot of us! Yesterday I made a cauliflower mash and portioned it out into 4 containers, and I'll be having that with some grilled chicken and low carb yogurt. The instagram community has a lot of keto-ers showing their meal prep Sunday ideas.