I'm getting past the initial losses and discouraged. :(

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
So for most of the first month, I lost about 2 lbs./week (according to trendweight). Then my losses dropped off sharply over the past 1-2 weeks to now being at 0.8 lbs/week. I was so happy and now I'm getting discouraged. I realize this is somewhat normal, but I really need to keep losing.

Prior to going low carb, I was at a deficit based on the MFP calculators for 1 lb./week but I wasn't really losing any weight with that calorie range. My experiences thus far over the past 2+ years with MFP is that I'll lose at times and not lose at other times. I've had some really long plateaus (5+ months) followed by large whooshes as well... just experiences that most MFP users don't understand.

What do I do now to prevent my loss from going any further below 0.8 lbs./week?

Edit: I've been doing low carb for just over a month, been trying to lose weight since 1/1/14.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So for most of the first month, I lost about 2 lbs./week (according to trendweight). Then my losses dropped off sharply over the past 1-2 weeks to now being at 0.8 lbs/week. I was so happy and now I'm getting discouraged. I realize this is somewhat normal, but I really need to keep losing.

Prior to going low carb, I was at a deficit based on the MFP calculators for 1 lb./week but I wasn't really losing any weight with that calorie range. My experiences thus far over the past 2+ years with MFP is that I'll lose at times and not lose at other times. I've had some really long plateaus (5+ months) followed by large whooshes as well... just experiences that most MFP users don't understand.

What do I do now to prevent my loss from going any further below 0.8 lbs./week?

Edit: I've been doing low carb for just over a month, been trying to lose weight since 1/1/14.

I understand the desire to keep weight loss rate steady. But, that's an impossibility. We are taught to believe that weight loss is a mathematical equation that we can completely control. That is just not the case.
    You are still losing. So the first bolded comment is not an actual concern. It's your frustration speaking. It's your disappointment speaking. You are still losing. You have not stopped. You are still completely on the right path to your goal. Give yourself some credit and don't let a slow down in rate make you think you're doing something wrong. Could each of us do something slightly better for our goals? Probably. Is attaining perfection in your plan necessary to reach the goal. Absolutely not. Can striving for perfection and trying to achieve a certain weekly or monthly loss rate actually hinder our success in achieving it. Absolutely. The best thing anyone can do when hitting this inevitable feeling of disappointment and frustration in not getting the result we want when we want it, is not stress about it. Progress is being made. We always want more than what we have. We're human. That's a good quality that drives us to succeed. But, if it causes too much stress or worse, causes us to give up because we decide "it's not working anyway" just because its not working the way we envisioned... That's a travesty.

Your body has multiple health concerns right? Probably lots of unknown healing going on in there that you didn't even know was an issue. When healing is needed and the resources (energy... Calories from compatible food) is provided, it can do what it needs to do. And if the body holds on to fat or even gains fat because it needs the security of it while healing is done, then progress is being made. With health comes fat loss. I know we believe that with fat loss comes health. But I just don't believe that's true at all.

It's hard to be patient because we "plan" how to achieve our goals. But the body has its own plans.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Good points, but I'm really concerned about the drop-off. At this rate, I'll be losing 0 lbs./week in 2 weeks.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Get out of your head about it. It's like the stock market: fluctuations happen but the general trend is upward.
    It's all about the trendline ... if it's trending down, you're doing good.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sunny bunny - that is a very helpful post!!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Stop looking at scales, math, trends.

You are not a stock index, you are a human being.

You can control eating right, focus on that. Numbers are NOT in your control!

Sunny_Bunny had an amazing post and your response was "Yeah but...". Your challenge is mental and emotional and wanting to control what you can't control, your challenge is NOT weight loss trends!

You are being robbed of joy in the great accomplishment that is, by looking at that which is not, and it WILL derail you!

Ask me how I know....
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Even slow progress is progress! Like the others said, don't worry. The scale stopped for me about two months ago but I have lost inches, gained muscle, and gone down a size in jeans. Think about any non scale victories and think about the great things low carb is doing for you internally!
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm not meaning to be glib here. The "keep calm and keto on" slogan has been really meaningful for me in times when it looks like things are slowing down. I just keep doing the things I committed to doing as part of my LCHF plan and then I focus on other areas of my life for awhile, trusting that everything will turn out fine with the scale later. I've been at it for just over 3 months and it's gotten me through 2-3 minor slowdowns.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 you are getting some good thoughts. As one who started this with wrecked health my thought is to pick to a macro and work it for 90 days without fail and regroup.

I am certain in my case weight loss requires time because my health must recover first. I spent 40 years wrecking my health by over eating carbs especially processed carbs. I expect my health will be better in 4 years than now. If one spent 10 years getting unhealthy then expect to eat the macro that works for you for a year or two before getting better health markers. When HDL gets up between 50-75 and triglycerides drop under 100 and starts to approach 50 is when I started to see an improvement in my general health.

Eating the right macro over time I find is key. I have not lost a pound over the last 12 months yet my longevity markers have been improving. I had to get my mind off of 'losing' weight and on to 'gaining' better health. A truly healthy person can not become obese unless force eating processed carbs per the research I have read and believe.

I had to completely visualize myself in my coffin from carb abuse to break my addiction/cravings for carbs.

I did a 6:18 IF yesterday. I "wanted" to eat at about 5 PM and 11 PM yet I never was 'hungry' even this AM. Eating in my case 99% mental and 1% physical needed. :)
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are sharing your frustrations here, I wish I had done that last June. I was within 6 lbs of goal and felt like I was doing EVERYTHING right but when the scale didn't reflect my hard work, I let my negative self-talk derail my efforts. I went way out of ketosis & LCHF and had food party that lasted all summer.

Do you know when I picked my goal weight? January 3, 1993! Some of you were not even alive then!

Happy to report that I'm finally at goal, but it's taken patience and a lot of learning. I also broke up with the scale for MONTHS at a time, which was very helpful.

@Sunny_Bunny_ wrote a post about being on a stall, and I hope you can find it - it's really worth reading.

Eat what you know is right, exercise, and the numbers will follow. I PROMISE.

I've been on a diet since I was 7 years old and 60 lbs, so I know how this works. Yet I'm still learning, and it's mostly mental at this point. I was my own worst enemy for years. Catch yourself now and read these posts & have patience.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    OK, Ya'll are right... I'll take a breath and keep going.

@erinseattle That's amazing - 1993 was indeed a long time ago.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I saw in another thread that you're having quest bars for breakfast at least sometimes. Try switching those out. Have a fat/protein (veg) breakfast for a few weeks, with no quest bars or the like. See what happens.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I saw in another thread that you're having quest bars for breakfast at least sometimes. Try switching those out. Have a fat/protein (veg) breakfast for a few weeks, with no quest bars or the like. See what happens.

It's an idea... would you share what you are thinking, though? Are you suggesting lower fiber? I'm not sure if I understand what that could accomplish.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Not sure what specifically could be stalling you, but stay strong! From personal experience, I had a few stalls. Keto didn't work as well for me for weight loss (getting off those last few stubborn pounds) until I cut out processed foods: especially diet sodas, artificial sweeteners, Atkins shakes/candy, etc.

I don't care what the Atkins candies say about "net carbs," I checked my blood glucose before and after consumption and it shot from 70 to over 140! I don't trust sugar alcohols. Now maybe not all of these are created equal, but for me personally, when I acculturate my taste to frequent sweetness, it increases my appetite and promotes overeating of even ketogenic foods.

Additionally, I avoid processed oils, like seed oils, which you do see frequently in low carb processed foods. I'm not sure if this makes a big difference in weight loss, but it at least helps lower inflammation by helping me balance my omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. Plus I have seen research that links excessive omega 6 to obesity in animal studies.

Lastly, have you ever tried intermittent fasting? I also started doing this naturally. I don't usually get hungry until about 3pm and then eat until about 6pm. I think this practice has made a big difference in boosting my metabolism and suppressing my appetite.

These might be the last few tools that pushed me over the edge. Now I have found myself thinner than I've ever been. Not sure if I could loose anymore weight. I haven't really been exercising at all, just working and keeping up with 4 kids. However, I feel muscular, or at least I can see more muscle definition for no good reason, lol.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The road to improved health is not smooth, is it? It would be nice to travel on the expressway the whole time, but sometimes we take the scenic route through the small towns that have a stop sign every couple of blocks. Occasionally, we run into detours, or we get stuck in traffic. Maybe we get all that at some point in our adventure. Perhaps it's my age, but I've learned to appreciate the scenic route because there is much knowledge to be gathered on that slower path. The destination will be reached as long as the wheels are moving forward, and that's really all that matters.
  • kirkor
    Options
    Some people don't do well with artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols which Quest bars have in abundance. Also the satiety/nutrition/calorie ratio may not be the best for long term health.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 If you are double diabetic, you may be very sensitive to the sugar alcohols in the Quest bars. They may do you more harm than good.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Right, so about sugar alcohols... while many companies argue they are not to be counted in net carbs, most of us type 1's calculate at least something for them in our bolus calculation because a portion (not all) are still absorbed and digested as carbs. So about 50% of them are carbs.

@aqsylvester Long before trying low carb, I tried a version of IF that had me at 500 calories every other day and as much as satisfied me on alternating days. Apparently, there were some things I later discovered I misunderstood about this diet (such as every other day should have been 600 calories for men, 500 was for women). The reason for trying that diet is that I had stopped losing weight for months, despite eating at a deficit. I had felt like I was starving for almost a year at that point, and it was acceptable to be hungry if I was getting some losses. But I wasn't getting any losses any more. Someone suggested this diet so I didn't feel like I was starving at least every other day. The problem is that I have an insatiable appetite, so I would eat 10K calories every other day and that wasn't at a deficit. I did this for 6 weeks, but didn't gain because I was in a plateau. My day-to-day fluctuations became larger, but centered around the same base weight. So it just didn't work (but I didn't expect it to). A couple months after I stopped and returned to a normal daily deficit, I had a whoosh - so 5 months of a plateau and ended up losing about 7-8 lbs. at the end.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for 6 months now. I don't think beyond week one I ever lost 2 pounds a week. Some weeks I've lost .2 or even 0 or maybe even gone up a pound or two temporarily. I have stayed the course and now I'm down 25 pounds and nearing my goal. I just keep reminding myself that my trend is downward and that's what matters. Prior to keto I counted calories and lost and gained the same 5-10 pounds over and over. I may not be losing as fast as some people or as fast as I'd have liked in the beginning but what would I gain by getting frustrated and going back to what I know doesn't work for me? Just stay the course!
  • flower1964
    flower1964 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lchf and this post is so helpful. I thought with my new way of life weight would be falling off and it's a slow go. I feel great though. Now that I know I'm not the only one, this definitely keeps me from throwing in the towel. I thank all of you for that.
  • kirkor
    Options
    @midwesterner85 it's not about whether or not to count the carbs, it's about the sugar alcohols themselves presenting metabolic challenges

>The problem is that I have an insatiable appetite, so I would eat 10K calories every other day and that wasn't at a deficit.

You might benefit from journaling or meditation or some other practice to address this aspect of your personality