New "Active Hours" tile

sarahmichelef
sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
I'm loving the new hours-with-250+-steps tile that appeared in the past couple of days. Great reminder to get off my duff and move a little bit throughout the day.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,762 Member
    I just got the email and set mine up for this. A great surprise and the motivation I needed to do this, I thought about it many times just didn't do it :D
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I like it, too. Right now I have it set for the maximum hours, but I think I'll end up cutting back a couple once I've watched my pattern for a while. I wish they'd add the "reminder to move" feature to models other than the Alta, but I guess they want to keep that feature as a selling point for the Alta, at least for a while. As it is, I have to keep an eye on it myself if I want to make sure those dots are filled in.
  • retirehappy
    Nancy there is an android app Hourly Chime that some folks are having good luck with on Fitbit.com, I haven't seen a reminder chime for iPhone yet.
  • NancyN795
    Thanks, retirehappy! I'll give it a try. I'd prefer something that only went off when I hadn't moved enough, but an hourly reminder - as long as it isn't too intrusive - might do.
  • zeroone614
    zeroone614 Posts: 13 Member
    I don't have that yet, how do I get it?
  • NancyN795
    It just appeared on my Fitbit app on my phone. For my Fitbit dashboard on the web, I had to add the tile. The mobile app actually gives more information than is available on the website - it will show "Longest Stationary Period" and your active and stationary percentages for the day.
  • shanna7787
    shanna7787 Posts: 9 Member
    I have the Charge HR and it is supposed to remind me at the :50 point every hour if I don't have 250+ steps. It is supposed to vibrate to "remind me to move". (I haven't let it get that close to the next hour without having my steps, so I am not 100% sure mine does it! lol) I like to make all my dots turn red!
  • shanna7787
    Also, I like it because I am getting WAY more steps each day than I got before.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited April 2016
    I like it, but I don't like it. I can't just get up every hour at work or class to walk around, so it's a little annoying for that. But I can see how it would be useful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't have it :( On my phone or PC. I have a zip, does that make a difference?
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    It just appeared on my Fitbit app on my phone. For my Fitbit dashboard on the web, I had to add the tile. The mobile app actually gives more information than is available on the website - it will show "Longest Stationary Period" and your active and stationary percentages for the day.

Thanks for that info. I hadn't found the longest stationary period yet. Now I am more motivated to try to move a little bit every hour.
  • Owlfan88
    shanna7787 wrote: »
    I have the Charge HR and it is supposed to remind me at the :50 point every hour if I don't have 250+ steps. It is supposed to vibrate to "remind me to move". (I haven't let it get that close to the next hour without having my steps, so I am not 100% sure mine does it! lol) I like to make all my dots turn red!

I also have the charge HR, but I didn't know you could get it to remind me to move - and I know it isn't doing it because yesterday I missed an hour. How do you get it to remind you to move @shanna7787 ?

• shanna7787
    edited April 2016
    I actually waited during the 1 o'Clock hour to see if it would vibrate... It didn't! So I missed that one because I forgot! :( So at this time I don't even know if Charge HR's will vibrate. That makes me sad. @Owlfan88
  • Owlfan88
    I actually waited during the 1 o'Clock hour to see if it would vibrate... It didn't! So I missed that one because I forgot! :( So at this time I don't even know if Charge HR's will vibrate. That makes me sad. @Owlfan88

Darn! I was hoping I could get it to remind me. I thought I had gotten my movement each hour, but I missed 4 pm (and then again at 8 pm- I had no steps that hour, but got lots done on my taxes. I'm ok with that trade off.)

• NancyN795
    Owlfan88 wrote: »

Darn! I was hoping I could get it to remind me. I thought I had gotten my movement each hour, but I missed 4 pm (and then again at 8 pm- I had no steps that hour, but got lots done on my taxes. I'm ok with that trade off.)

I'd love that reminder, too. I missed one hour in the middle of the day yesterday and if I'd had a "you haven't moved enough" reminder I could have gotten it. I can tell evenings are going to be hardest for me, so I may turn off the last hour or two of the day.
  • Christine_72
    Can someone please tell me how to get this extra tile? Or is it only available to HRM users?
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    I have a android phone at it appeared during one of the normal updates. The only person I know with a iPhone and a Fitbit doesn't have this yet. Not sure it it varies by Fitbit model or mobile app. Number of steps doesn't require HR so I doubt that is it unless then only offer on pricier models to induce you to upgrade.
  • Christine_72
    I have an Android too, and had a fitbit update a week ago. May have to wait for the next one..
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Can someone please tell me how to get this extra tile? Or is it only available to HRM users?

I have it, but I have the blaze. It might only show up for people who have the Alta or higher. I can check since I have a zip.

edit:
    Yep. Looks like it's reserved for Alta or higher. Created a new account with the Zip as the tracker and the hourly activity thing isn't there. Checked my husbands phone app (he has the One) and he doesn't have it either.
  • Christine_72

I have it, but I have the blaze. It might only show up for people who have the Alta or higher. I can check since I have a zip.

Great, Thank you xx
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Looked on Fitbit forums and it's only for trackers with the auto-sleep feature. :neutral:
  • Christine_72
    ok thank you so much. Appreciate it :smile:
  • zeroone614
    zeroone614 Posts: 13 Member
    How annoying :/ But thanks for figuring that out.
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    That's a bummer that it's not for all fit bits. Makes sense, though, I guess, from a tech standpoint.
  • retirehappy
    Owlfan88 wrote: »

I'd love that reminder, too. I missed one hour in the middle of the day yesterday and if I'd had a "you haven't moved enough" reminder I could have gotten it. I can tell evenings are going to be hardest for me, so I may turn off the last hour or two of the day.

Only the Alta has the ability to notify you to move according to fitbit.com.

Here is the last para extract from the Announcements

"The Hourly Activity and Stationary Time tiles are available for anyone using a tracker that has the auto-sleep feature, which includes all trackers except for Fitbit Zip and Fitbit One. Keep in mind that Hourly Activity and Stationary Time are different from Reminders to Move, which is a feature that currently only exists on Alta, and is a physical vibration from your tracker each hour when you haven't taken 250 steps yet"

There is a suggestion to get the alert function over to at least the Charge HR /Surge devices, up vote it at this link:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Reminders-to-Move-for-Surge-and-Charge-HR/idi-p/1162197

A little under a 1000 votes currently, with almost 500 comments under the original request. Hopefully that is enough numbers to get the dev team to take action.
  • NancyN795
    Thanks, retirehappy. I've up voted it and posted a comment.
  • AGalinAZ
    AGalinAZ Posts: 1 Member
    I have it for my FitBit Flex and its great! 250 steps is not a lot but I'm motivated to hit that dot! I find myself walking more briskly and finding ways to squeeze steps in..pacing while on the phone, walking around the house while folding clothing, marching in place while waiting for the coffee to brew...lots of opportunities!
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    edited April 2016
    I sort of hate it. I take between 15K and 25K steps a day. But there are times when I'm inactive. Like during a 1.5 hour long meeting at work. Or when I'm driving 62 miles to or from work. I get all hours sometimes but it's impossible to do it every day. Then I feel guilty about it.
  • NancyN795
    @pineygirl : My son doesn't like it either, probably for the same reason. He just can't always get those steps in. If I didn't have enough control over my ability to get up and move, I'd hate it too. You can always just get rid of the tile so you don't have to see it.

It might be nice if the hours didn't have to be consecutive, because I'm sure you're not the only one who has a long commute or some other predictable sedentary period in the middle of the day.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    @pineygirl : My son doesn't like it either, probably for the same reason. He just can't always get those steps in. If I didn't have enough control over my ability to get up and move, I'd hate it too. You can always just get rid of the tile so you don't have to see it.

It might be nice if the hours didn't have to be consecutive, because I'm sure you're not the only one who has a long commute or some other predictable sedentary period in the middle of the day.

What would be nice is being able to set a range of hours (ie: 8am-7pm) during which you have a total of, say, 6 hours with 250 steps or more, rather than 250 steps during each of the hours in that range.

~Lyssa