Low carb food fail!

Options
TheCakeDiva
TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
Oh my goodness. I thought it would be great - not so much.

DD was making nachos for herself last night, and I was wanting a snack, so instead of the nacho chips, I pulled out the bag of pork rinds and had her make me some with that.

NOT great at all. They got kind of soggy/chewy with the cheese melted on them.

So I won't be repeating that snack! I should have just made some cheese crisps and had that crunchy goodness instead.

Replies

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I tried that too once, thinking it would kill the craving. Instead it was just a mess and it tasted all wrong.

Pork rinds are pretty good with guacamole, though!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    No fail just a class in what not to do.

That reminds I have 3 bags of pork rinds in the car. :)
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No fail just a class in what not to do.

I really like that saying!

• tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    do you make your pork rinds or buy them?
    I can't buy them here, but wondered if I bought some rashers from the butcher, ( who leaves the rind on them) and cut the rind off and baked it in the oven till crispy , is that the same thing? I am finding it hard to eat more fat, boy I am loving eating butter cheese and cream, but I need something to crunch on too.
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds and guacamole are good @annalisbeth74.
    Have you tried cheese chips @tishball? Crunchy and good to dip in stuff. Not sure if getting pork hide from the butcher a good idea. It might work although I think it takes high heat to crisp them up- I have seen farm butchered hog skin done over an open fire.
    What country are you in? I couldn't find pork rinds in the store but I bought 2 giant tubs on Amazon.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @tishball I'm pretty sure you would need to deep fry the skin to get that same pork rind texture that store bought pork rinds offer. I buy pork belly with the skin on quite frequently and roast it to make crackling, but it's a very different texture. I just serve it as a side with the meat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @tishball I'm pretty sure you would need to deep fry the skin to get that same pork rind texture that store bought pork rinds offer. I buy pork belly with the skin on quite frequently and roast it to make crackling, but it's a very different texture. I just serve it as a side with the meat.

@tishball I buy mine and they are not the same as we made at hog killing time as a kid. As @PaleoInScotland noted we just put the chucks of skin with fat in a big kettle with a fire under it to make lard. We actually called the by-product 'crackins' here in rural west KY. :)

We put them in the a 50 pound lard bucket and I would go out to the smoke house and eat a few after milking the cows by hand because we kept the milk strainer in the smoke house.
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I dip my spicy pork rinds in heated up white Jalapeno Mexican cheese after I add some additional hot sauce to it. They don't get soggy if you dip them and eat immediately. Very tasty! You could try mixing the nacho ingredients together beforehand and then dipping the pork rinds in it or spooning it on. That might work.
  • TheCakeDiva
    TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try the guacamole idea - I love it, but was missing the right thing to dip into it (celery does NOT work well).

These were purchased ones, and all we did was put the cheese on to melt it, and then dipped into sour cream and salsa. But the cheese/baking made them rubbery/soggy. Ew.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Is that the difference between pork rinds and cracklings? Deep fried vs roasted? I've wondered about that. Now that I live in the South I've heard people talking about them (and I've bought bags of pork rinds at the store since starting keto; something I never thought I'd do!) and had thought the terms were interchangeable.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I make my pork belly into chicharrones. I don't like pork rinds all that much at all. I can recommend chicharrones with guac and cheese though. Delicious.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

Is that the difference between pork rinds and cracklings? Deep fried vs roasted? I've wondered about that. Now that I live in the South I've heard people talking about them (and I've bought bags of pork rinds at the store since starting keto; something I never thought I'd do!) and had thought the terms were interchangeable.

I think there are just slight variations in terminology and preparations in different regions and cultures. I grew up with "crackling" here in the UK where you can buy a pork belly roast with the skin on. When we moved to America (West Coast), I never saw a pork roast with skin on ever again until I came back here. I asked several butchers over the years if they could leave the skin on for me and they all said the skin was removed before they received the carcass, so that wasn't an option.

You can buy bags of "pork scratchings" here in the store, but most of them are nothing like pork rinds in America (they're so hard and dense they nearly break your teeth) and they certainly wouldn't work as breading or in any of the other low carb recipes that call for pork rinds.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    From what I see available there does seem to be an actual difference.
    In my experience, pork rinds are generally large and fluffy in texture.
    Pork cracklins are smaller, seem thicker and are kind of hard and very crunchy. That's what chicharrones look like too.
    One brand that my nearest store has, offers pork rinds and crackilns as different products. They even come in different sized bags since the cracklins are more dense.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I buy cracklings instead of pork rinds for nachos. They take really well to heat and moisture.

I also make delicious cheese sauce with heavy cream and cheddar, that makes a killer dip for the fluffy pork rinds.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    From what I see available there does seem to be an actual difference.
    In my experience, pork rinds are generally large and fluffy in texture.
    Pork cracklins are smaller, seem thicker and are kind of hard and very crunchy. That's what chicharrones look like too.
    One brand that my nearest store has, offers pork rinds and crackilns as different products. They even come in different sized bags since the cracklins are more dense.

Cracklings are skin + fat. Pork rinds are just skin. Have you ever bought the chicharonnes from a Mexican bakery or butcher? They're massive and thick enough to break a tooth. Those are skin, fat, and a bit of meat.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

I think there are just slight variations in terminology and preparations in different regions and cultures. I grew up with "crackling" here in the UK where you can buy a pork belly roast with the skin on. When we moved to America (West Coast), I never saw a pork roast with skin on ever again until I came back here. I asked several butchers over the years if they could leave the skin on for me and they all said the skin was removed before they received the carcass, so that wasn't an option.

You can buy bags of "pork scratchings" here in the store, but most of them are nothing like pork rinds in America (they're so hard and dense they nearly break your teeth) and they certainly wouldn't work as breading or in any of the other low carb recipes that call for pork rinds.

Those delicious hard and dense bits can be found in just about every Mexican grocery in the US. So yummy!!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options

Those delicious hard and dense bits can be found in just about every Mexican grocery in the US. So yummy!!

I can't eat them out of a bag, it kind of makes me gag, not sure really sure if it's a taste or texture thing. The only way i can eat it is straight out of the oven, when the skin is hot and crispy, the fat is ooey and gooey on the underside, and you have little shreds of tender meat stuck to it. Pork belly roasts are a favourite in my house so I try and do it once a week.

Wish I'd known about the Mexican butchers when I was still in the US! I would have bought my pork roasts from them.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Try the awfully posh brand, I got mine from Amazon, they are pretty good and only use pork and salt. I thnk they could easily be made into a bread crumb.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options

Try the awfully posh brand, I got mine from Amazon, they are pretty good and only use pork and salt. I thnk they could easily be made into a bread crumb.

Ooh thanks! I'll check them out. I do miss breaded meat and fish and would love to experiment.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @tishball - here's a recipe for home-making of pork rinds, from Carolyn at All Day I Dream about Food. I haven't tried it because I have a Mexican grocery near me and get Chicharron Delgado there but if you don't have that then this might work for you!