New to Swimming!

Options
nm212
nm212 Posts: 570 Member
Hi,
I just started swimming due to some foot issues. I can only go for about 30 min because I get tired. Are there any recommendations on how to maximize calorie burning in the pool? I did 12 freestyle laps yesterday, 3 butterfly and 3 backstroke...cause I need to break up the freestyle sometimes...I think I did 8 without stopping, but then I get tired! I only burn about 250 calories according to MFP. Is the only way to burn more to swim longer? Or can I maximize my calorie burn another way?

I'm used to burning 450-600 with spinning classes but since I hurt my foot, can't do it...so I am trying to adjust but having trouble losing weight here.

Thanks for any help or advice! Feel free to add me as a friend :)

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You're probably burning more calories than an efficient swimmer just because as an inefficient swimmer, it takes more energy to swim poorly than not. As you get more efficient, you will definitely be able to swim longer. That takes time, as swimming is extremely skill-based.

That said...

Swimming is not the world most efficient exercise if all you're looking for is the calorie burn. The whole Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day thing is about a large young man training 6-8 hours a day to compete in the Olympics. We mere mortals have a different issues to deal with.

In general, swimming does give a good calorie burn, but where it does fall down is the afterburn. You're just not building up the heat you would for dryland exercise, so you're not extending that slight extra calorie burn like you would for running or biking.

However, very few swimmers actually swim yards and yards without stopping. (I'm one, but I am a weirdo with odd goals). Most swimmers train by breaking up their workout into sets -- often no more than 500 yards/meters at a time (so a max of 20 lengths) then resting between those sets. Interval training, as I am sure you are aware, is excellent cardiovascular training and generally gives you a good fat burn, so if that's really the reason you work out, check out some swim workouts that have you swim really hard for a distance, then rest for 10-30 seconds between sets.

• nm212
    Options
    Thanks for the input! That makes me feel better to know that taking breaks is normal in swimming. lol Some people are so good, it intimidates me in the lap lane! They just keep going and going!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Dont' worry about your stopping and starting-- like @NoelFigart1 says, an inefficient swimmer is still burning a heck of a lot of calories.

Depending on the nature of your injury, you might also try some water aerobics/ water PT type moves- (see e.g., http://www.moveforwardpt.com/resources/detail/top-10-exercises-to-do-in-pool)

FYI, although I was a long-time swimmer beforehand, I credit aquatic physical therapy and swimming with my recovery after I had a total ankle replacement in June of 2014.

One thing I do have to be careful about is that almost two years later, I am still prone to foot cramps in the "bad" foot. I do a foot arch/hamstring stretch before and after I work out on the pool ladder: standwith the balls of my feet on the top (dry) step, and lower my heels as far as I can (below the level of the step) and hold for about 20 seconds.
  • nm212
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I have a heel spur and plantar faciitis. I will check out the link! That stretch sounds good...similar what I do when I'm not in the pool. :) I do find swimming to help me alot with my foot, regardless of how many calories i burn, so that is a plus!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Plantar faciitis is what put me in the pool too. Look for a water fitness class. I found my first class a year and a half ago, and haven't looked back. We do tabata on Mondays (HIIT) and T/Th are the "Long slow burn" days. It's a great cardio workout, if you can get a good instructor. My glasses usually fog up from the effort.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    "Just One More Lap."
    When you are exhausted and think you can't do any more, rest for 30 seconds and do one more lap.
    Try to add 1 lap more each week.
    Something that helped my was zip fins. Got my legs doing more work while I built upper body endurance. Helped my get my legs and butt up. As my endurance improved I only used the zip fins with kick board laps.
    I use the TYR Burners.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Interval training/ sprints will jump that heart rate right up there!
    Distance covered after the session will be shorter, but I imagine it involves some good burns!
    May sound obvious too, but the faster you swim and the more you exert yourself, the more you burn!
    Many will have a slow leisurely swim and tell themselves they expect high burn numbers!
    Ummm....No!
    :smile:
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to build endurance is to first find your baseline distance and to repeat that distance at least three times (and then more times) every time you swim. When you feel up to it, add a lap to that baseline distance at least once per workout, then when you feel ready do that new baseline twice, then three times. Rest as much as you want between swimming your baseline distance (you're still still breathing hard and your heart rate is elevated so even though you're resting you're still burning calories. Once you work up to 6 x 6 laps, you're already doing a half-mile workout, which is a very respectable swim workout. I used this method for 3 months and went from a three-length baseline swimming three miles (nonstop).