Fatigue

Options
laryngitix
laryngitix Posts: 5 Member
Hello everyone,

I've been following LCHF way of eating for the past 3 weeks, but also tracking my calories (1400). I do some walking, HIIT and strength training...I have about 40lb to lose.
I went through the cutover with headaches and hunger as expected. However, I've been feeling great for the past 10 days with lots of energy. Until today - had difficulty waking up and felt extremely tired through the morning.

I decided not to limit my calories today to see if that would help and I feel a slight improvement, but I'm nowhere close to the energy levels of the past few days.

Any insight or tips for me?

All of your posts have really educated and motivated me over the past few weeks...thank you!!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You could be experiencing an electrolyte imbalance. It's not something that just goes away and never comes back.

Most of us supplement with sodium, magnesium, and potassium to keep the headaches and fatigue at bay.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You could be experiencing an electrolyte imbalance. It's not something that just goes away and never comes back.

Most of us supplement with sodium, magnesium, and potassium to keep the headaches and fatigue at bay.

This would be my guess too. It's easy to relax on it after the energy boost kicks in because you feel great and aren't thinking about needing anything.
    I highly recommend increasing sodium, supplementing magnesium if you aren't already (maybe increase or check what form you have if so) and you can simply add a dash of NuSalt or LoSalt to food for a little extra potassium. It's much easier to get than magnesium.

Just in case you haven't seen this yet. Good info here about electrolytes.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest
  • laryngitix
    laryngitix Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

My multi-vitamin has only 50mg of Mag,and the post recommends 300mg!. I've elevated my salt intake as well.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    laryngitix wrote: »
    Thank you!

My multi-vitamin has only 50mg of Mag,and the post recommends 300mg!. I've elevated my salt intake as well.

300 as the bare minimum.
    I at one time was taking 1000mg magnesium carbonate a day. Recently, that seems to be too much and I'm down to about 700 now.