Teacher Starting keto today!

Options
missabbyb
missabbyb Posts: 30 Member
Hi!
I just joined this group. I am a teacher and I will be starting this Keto lifestyle today. I've been struggling with my weight since my senior year in high school when I gained 100 lbs that year. Now, I've learned that my body went into survival mode and stored nearly everything I ate.
So here I am nearly a decade later, happy and lively, but fat.
Recently due to stress, I started gaining again despite eating healthy and moderate exercise and we'll, I've had enough! So I started researching and found the keto diet.
I'm so ready.

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group... You will find tons of great people who will gladly give help along your journey and are very supportive. Congrats on making the choice to get healthy!!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The Launch Pad is a great source of helpful links and read the post about electrolytes at the top of the page. It goes against the grain by saying you need more sodium than non-LC people but it can help you feel much better as you adjust to this lifestyle!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm also on a very long weight loss journey with 100+ lbs to lose and this way of eating has changed my life in so many positive ways. There are many in this group who have already lost over 100 lbs and their success is very motivating.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    missabbyb wrote: »
    Hi!
    I just joined this group. I am a teacher and I will be starting this Keto lifestyle today. I've been struggling with my weight since my senior year in high school when I gained 100 lbs that year. Now, I've learned that my body went into survival mode and stored nearly everything I ate.
    Recently due to stress, I started gaining again despite eating healthy and moderate exercise and we'll, I've had enough! So I started researching and found the keto diet.
    I'm so ready.

My guess is, what you know as "survival mode" was actually insulin resistance. It's likely why you've been gaining recently despite eating the way we've always been taught is healthy, in addition to the stress you mentioned of course.
    I think you'll be quite successful with Keto.
    Welcome to the group! Make sure to look over the launchpad information. Especially the info about electrolytes and not fearing fat.
  • missabbyb
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • missabbyb
    Options
    So far so good. I had egg muffins and bulletproof coffee for breakfast... although I only did half a tablespoon of oil in the coffee because I wasn't sure how my body would react. I definitely feel a little greasy right now, but full. Also not sure if feeling flush is normal at the start but I had a bit of that too.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm so ready.

My guess is, what you know as "survival mode" was actually insulin resistance.

+1 - so very common

Welcome missabbyb!
  • missabbyb
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm so ready.

+1 - so very common

Welcome missabbyb!

That could be. I was tested alot during my senior year but it was never given a name. One doctor explained the survival mode bit to me but never said what it was. Is insulin resistance a newer term?
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Just want to say welcome!

Also, "survival mode" has been largely debunked. Check out the Launch Pad, and dive in!:)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Read, read, read, and read it all again! Keto is an adjustment, but becomes super easy over time! I've been keto for a year, and am not ever eating any other way! Life changing is an understatement, in my case!! Best of luck! Always ask questions too when you need to!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You can do this. Shed fears of eating saturated fat & salt. As you learn more, act upon what you learn.

Here are a couple links that could help you on your journey:

Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Updated

"Keto-flu" and Sufficient Intake of Electrolytes

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm so ready.

+1 - so very common

Welcome missabbyb!

That could be. I was tested alot during my senior year but it was never given a name. One doctor explained the survival mode bit to me but never said what it was. Is insulin resistance a newer term?

I think the way people think "survival mode" works isn't actually what it is. My theory is that the fact that eating in such a way that we believe to be "healthy" based on the food pyramid and failing to lose weight or even very likely gaining weight, which is what people think survival mode basically is, is just an unfamiliarity with the very real condition of insulin resistance. It's not a new thing. Unfortunately, even though more than half of people have some level of it, probably 90% of them have never even heard of it. And I'd be willing to bet your doctor never tested for it, so he dubbed it "survival mode" for failure of having an actual answer for you.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm so ready.

+1 - so very common

Welcome missabbyb!

Survival mode is just the process of your cells shoving glucose into fat cells because either your other cells are already full (you over ate or didn't burn off the stored glucose before eating again, for example), or because you have insulin resistance - a condition where your normal cells do not readily uptake glucose anymore, leaving your fat cells to do the job. This is a simplified explanation, but you can see how insulin resistance will encourage fat cells to take up glucose while your normal cells resist. As a result your body will also produce more insulin, which has far greater problems too.

Insulin resistance is an early sign of metabolic disease. The way I look at it metabolic disease is progressive and worsens over the years until you have full blown chronic illnesses like type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stage 2 hypertension (very high blood pressure)....etc. Catching the symptoms and preventing these full blown diseases are key. However, even this stage isn't always considered 'early', as it too means your body is already not working as intended. I am not sure if there is an actual test, but most med professionals say that anyone who is on the heavy side and obese are most likely insulin resistant. Assume you are, IMO.

• missabbyb
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Welcome. You can do this. Shed fears of eating saturated fat & salt. As you learn more, act upon what you learn.

Here are a couple links that could help you on your journey:

Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Updated

"Keto-flu" and Sufficient Intake of Electrolytes

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

Thanks! Yes, I want to avoid any flu symptoms right now. Lol.
  • missabbyb
    Options
    Okay question, and I'm sure this is somewhere on the site but I'm not even sure what I should be looking for with this.

So do you have to stay under 20 grams net carbs in order to be in ketosis or is it 20-30. I keep on finding different information and I was wondering what you thought.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Welcome! feel free to add me as a friend, my diary is open.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Okay question, and I'm sure this is somewhere on the site but I'm not even sure what I should be looking for with this.

So do you have to stay under 20 grams net carbs in order to be in ketosis or is it 20-30. I keep on finding different information and I was wondering what you thought.

It varies from person to person. But the general rule is less than 50g will keep you in ketosis. The lower you go, the more "full-time" you maintain it. But even under 100g (possibly higher) will put you in ketosis at least some of the time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm so ready.

My guess is, what you know as "survival mode" was actually insulin resistance. It's likely why you've been gaining recently despite eating the way we've always been taught is healthy, in addition to the stress you mentioned of course.
    I think you'll be quite successful with Keto.
    Welcome to the group! Make sure to look over the launchpad information. Especially the info about electrolytes and not fearing fat.
    I was wondering the same... and also wondered about undiagnosed PCOS.
    OP: best of luck, and read all the stuff in the launchpad, for SURE.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I wish eating this way helped with the stress of teaching. Sadly, it doesn't. But, at least you feel better physically.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What grade and subject do you teach? I work in elementary special education. I'm not all the way to keto, but I do low carb. It helps me get through the day with energy and without getting hungry.