Thyroid nodules ?

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
Okay so my doc called and asked me to go an have a thyroid ultrasound so I did today. Well apparently I have 3 nodules on my thyroid and I have to go back in 12 months and have a biopsy done if there's a change ( or have the biopsy regardless of a change or not. I can't remember because there was so much going on through my mind at the time). Now... Wtf? I keep getting these nodules and I start to think its all because of my weight!! ( I also have cysts in my left breast). Any of you have the thyroid nodules and what's ur experience ?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 I believe has nodules. I don't recall what she's done for treatment. And yes, our weight tends to crap all over our other health issues. What plan did your endocrinologist suggest for the thyroid stuff? There are many supplements/food restrictions you can incorporate to help, depending on the type, etc.

I have very fibrous breasts, but I do not have cysts there. I will need to get another mammogram this year, I think. I had a baseline one done about 5 years ago due to the fibrous tissue...

If you haven't asked in the LCD group, please do, also, as there are more active folks there dealing with these type of issues...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    yeppers I have 11 nodules and an enlarge side, can't remember right or left. I was getting an ultrasound every six months to watch for any changes, now its switched to annually, I also had a radioactive iodine test done to make sure they weren't cancerous. from the first ultrasound to the second I had a few more, started with 9, now 11, but the last ultrasound I didn't have any more, which is after I started treatment, they are fairly common especially where I live, near the great lakes, for whatever reason. my endo did put me on a low dose of levothyroxine to try to impede the growth which has worked so far. her thinking was that my thyroid was producing too much hormone and causing the nodules to grow and that supplementing might signal the thyroid to slow down on production. I go for another ultrasound in june so we will see if anything has changed then.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    @auntstephie321 Was that your physician or the endocrinologist that gave you treatment? This radiologist said that there's no treatment and come back in a year for another ultrasound and maybe a biopsy. My husband now is saying I should ask for a biopsy now.

@KnitOrMiss I was only able to make an appointment for this coming Friday with an endocrinologist. I wanted to have all the results from the physical and ultrasound before I go in so she knows what's up and what to look for. I didn't post in LCD group, maybe I will later. For now I'm just hoping this is motivation enough to to lose 70 lbs. I went for breast ultrasounds 3 consecutive years and there was no change so last month I had the last one. The radiologist suggested to stop going. I am so pissed I can't say I'm an healthy obese anymore !!! :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    My endocrinologist put me on the treatment. Nodules are very common and unless there is concern about them having grown your insurance probably won't pay for a biopsy. I don't think radiologists treat that, they just perform the test, your physician or endo should be the one discussing any treatment with you.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Oh, I know the radiologist doesn't treat a thing but I though he should know if there's a treatment. I'll see an endo Friday, I sure hope she's more optimistic and will put me at ease because this dude ( radiologist) didn't. I'm so *kitten* freaked out.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Your endocrinologist will know more. All the radiologist knows is how to read scans. Don't stress about it, your Dr may send you for the radioactive iodine and thyroid uptake to check then function of your thyroid. But really all they can do is watch and if things change do something. They may never change size and be no issue. Only time will tell. But try not to worry, I was really scared at first too but my Dr helped a lot.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    :)))) I didn't know the F word is replaced by KITTEN :))) That's so funny. Thanks guys.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Lol I had no idea that's what happened. I've seen it before and thought it was a new thing people were saying. Lol