Let's get started

Options

Replies

• mummyinthemountains
    mummyinthemountains Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    gr0gjrz0ziyc.jpg

This WAS my birthday cake!! Although LMV that photo looks rather yummy. My recipe comes from a book called 'Chocolate' Kitchen Library printed 20 years ago and is made with dark chocolate. PB - I'm learning less is more and I no longer bother to decorate the sides as it just becomes too sickly and rich...

Be good Crackers!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    HA! LMV how do I make my photos smaller for next time?!!!
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Wow, that cake looks delicious MITM and I hope you enjoy every crumb. I love your plates too........I shall have to look out for something similar as I don't have any special cake plates. Re photo size, I use photobucket to upload them and they have an edit function where you can resize, but I don't usually bother.

xx
  • Lovemyveg
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

That cake looks absolutely fabulous. I hope you enjoy every crumb of it MITM. Re photo size, I use Photobucket to upload them and there is an edit function which allows you to resize pictures. Having said that, I don't use it and just post pictures whatever size they are! I love your plates too. I don't have any celebratory cake plates to use so I shall look out for some and someone can get them for me as a Christmas present.

Is this your book?

image_zpsrc2funpp.jpeg

Product details
    Hardcover: 96 pages
    Publisher: Marks and Spencer (1996)
    ASIN: B000P38D4W

I'm always eager to try a new chocolate cake recipe on a special occasion.

I'm out of step with what everyone has been up to.

PB - sorry about your friend's mother, glad you had a good time in York, and hope the wicked witch at work hasn't been too evil this week.

Bracken - hope you and Nellie are surviving in the snow and that "Vangate" is resolving itself.

BM - no idea where you are. Your absence is a bit worrying for us all so I hope everything is OK with you and yours.

I am just about back on track after what feels like a month of being out of routine. Really pleased that I only gained 1lb through the recent festivities and that I lost 2 lbs this week so have removed that extra pound and am back on a downward trend. I went for a long walk on Tuesday which definitely helped with weigh in on Wednesday. Had a bit of a wobble yesterday with 3 slices of low fat cheese. I must say that buying pre sliced cheese and a low fat variety helps me keep a lid on things as I'm sure I would have gone through a whole hunk if there had been one in the fridge. So far so good today, back on track.

Did anyone see the how to stay young programme with Angela Rippon last night? In a study they found that dancing proved to be the best exercise. Something to do with strengthening where the nerves meet the muscles.......can't quite remember the details, will have to watch it again. I was so excited to know that salsasizing is better for me than shredding in terms of a long healthy life. RESULT!

At book group last night we discussed Dictator by Robert Harris. It's the third book in a trilogy about the life of Cicero so this book deals with his later years. The history and politics of that period of the Roman Empire were really interesting. Anyone read it?

Right, I must go and get some compost as I am out of it. My loganberry and gooseberry plants have arrived - new crops for this year. MITM - I must consult my moon book to find a propitious time to plant them!

Have a great week-end everyone.

xx

ps what was in those lovely looking packages MITM?
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello Crackers. I am sitting at my computer in my den and as I look out the window, I can see snow flakes in the air. Today the cold is apparently a record breaker
    and tomorrow will be the same perhaps more snow. There was snowfall that completely covered the ground three of five days this week. The past two weeks have been unusually cold and windy, sometimes with rain. (as an aside this site is acting strange so I may post whatever I write in short posts rather than write a lot and lose it all. PB, you are right about the Okanagan's weather. In fact, the western provinces are enjoying lovely warm weather but all of the eastern ones are colder than normal. Also, PB, it is nice to see that you are rallying nicely with your exercise and doing well diet-wise considering all that you have going on. MITM and LMV, you both continue to do so well with your diet management. I am also envious to hear of the lovely spring flowers you have in bloom, MITM, and to hear of your planting plans, LMV. I feel really behind with yard work because of the weather and still have not begun the basic spring raking and picking up of fallen twigs and branches from the winter.
    I have been kept busy with extra feeding of the birds with this nasty weather. I seem to have even more birds than in the height of the winter. I have had two species of woodpeckers on the suet ball that I don't usually get. Also I was amazed to see a robin fluttering around the suet ball as robins do not typically come to feeders. Since it could not perch on the suet as it was hanging, I took it and placed it on a flat surface and have seen more than one robin at the suet cake. I suppose since the ground is again too hard for worms, suet becomes an option.
    LMV, I like your expression- 'vangate.' It is resolving as I ordered a vehicle a week ago; however, there is a 7-8 week wait for it to come in. I really had no choice if I wanted a small truck as there are literally none stocked on the dealers' lots. I have not actually been able to see one exactly like I have ordered so it will be a bit of a surprise when it arrives. I have seen other vehicles in the colour, a very dark grey called Irridium ( when I have been doing home painting and looking at colour chips,I have often thought it must be a great job to be the person who names all those paint colours- vintage linen, nutmeg brown, Blixen's rose, spiced rum are some I remember). I saw the interior dashboard that is like mine but never did see the colour and material of the seats! I thought I had settled the insurance claim, as I posted, and then a week ago I had a phone call from the vehicle rental agency claiming the insurance would not be paying for rental insurance that I had been told they would cover as part of the settlement. That led to a number of back and forth phone calls and finally my insurance broker was able to step in and have it settled- just as I thought had been settled two weeks before. Stressful.
    I hope the weather is improved by Tuesday as I have an evening meeting just north of London; I have been asked to do the announcing at a summer horse show, the same show I did last year.
    I am going to post this now.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Evening Crackers!

LMV - that is indeed the book, I find it very useful for not everyday baking obviously! The nut and chocolate slice I always make at Christmas, is also in this book.
    Ooh just the word chocolate is turning my stomach at the moment!! The cake is now all gone and I was very sensible and the many boxes of chocolates I was
    given (why?!) I've put away, as they will fortunately keep so I don't think I've done any major lasting damage.

Those birthday packages well I was thrilled to receive from the daughter a new pedometer so no excuses now. And there were 2 books; Nora Ephron 'The Last Interview & Other
    Conversations' and 'For the Love of Letters - the Joy of Slow Communication' because I am a paper geek! I have a lovely bureau in 'my' sitting room full of writing paper!
    And in the little box, from the husband a set of 4 stacking rings (which I've had my eye on for years!) the largest gemstone is a labradorite and is grey so very, very me!
    Good luck with planting your loganberry and gooseberry plants - I did note my gooseberry bushes are showing some signs of life.

Bracken - I'm looking forward to hearing what is going on in your garden. We thank goodness have not had snow this weekend but instead it has rained and rained and rained.
    However since we've had no rain all winter long and only one spell of serious snow, we needed it and it's lovely to see the hillsides beginning to turn green.

PB - Have you still got your gardener and how is your garden looking?

Well I have to say all this talk of the garden, it feels very strange now having BM mentioning how she misses the seasons and loves hearing what is going on. It feels like she has
    vanished into thin air which is so unlike her and I do also hope all is well with her and her daughter.

Be good Crackers!

• mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Bracken we must have been posting at the same time! Ooh I do feel for you and the snow. And I do apologise I fear I may have mucked our site
    up by posting my huge cake photo until we start a new page!!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    My second post of the day- this one I am going to write about a medical issue so feel free to skip it if it seems a bit too serious but I thought writing about it may help get me back on track as I've been rather down for almost four weeks although I have tried to put on my game face, as its called, when necessary. I'm afraid this is a somewhat detailed account. It began over a year ago when I had some small blemishes on my face which I pointed out to my Doc who referred me to a dermatologist. For the point of my story I need to say that this dermatologist, a certified medical doctor, works out of a clinic where she also does cosmetic procedures like botox and dermabrasion treatments. A year ago she treated these blemishes which turned out to be basal cell carcinomas, the most common type of skin cancer and as she said, the one you would choose to get if you had to because it typically does not migrate to other sites and is highly treatable; she removed them surgically and stitched the site. This winter I noticed three more blemishes, small, and drew them to my doctor's attention. The first frustration was that it took a long time to get an appointment- originally it was to be the end of June but with some pressure from my Doc's Office I got the earlier appointment; part of the frustration was that I could have got a cosmetic appointment much quicker. When I went for the appointment, the treatment was different than before; the dermatologist gave me needles on the three sites- I believe she said it was nitrogen (or perhaps a nitrogen compound). Then a nurse did the cutting which she called cauterizing. After the treatment, another person came in and talked to me about skin care and was basically promoting a serum for under the skin, a sun block (SPF50) and if you bought that you got a 'free' night cream. I'll say all the product was in very small bottles and expensive ($238- about 115 pounds). I felt some pressure to buy it as it was recommended by the dermatologist so I did. It is not my main issue at the moment but I didn't really like the selling of product with a medical treatment and when I looked at the ingredient list of the sunscreen at home it seems to be based on two common ingredients in other sunscreens I have bought in regular stores. About a week after this I saw my family Doc and of course, the she asked me about the dermatologist and I began talking abut the product and she mentioned conflict of interest. (I was also there on another matter so time was also an issue; my Doc is good but busy and one often feels a bit pressured to get on with it) After this, my Doc pulled out the lab report on the tissues the dermatologist sent to be biopsied. She put them down so we could both read them; it became clear she had not read them yet either. What I read immediately upset me because the tissues where not identified as basal cell carcinomas but squamous cell carcinomas. The lab report indicated that the extent of one of the lesions was hard to determine because of its location near my eye. Although I did not know a lot about it, I knew that was more serious and said something to the effect that 'that's not good.' Squamous cell carcinomas can often be treated well but they can sometimes migrate to other organs (not good). My Doc was clearly taken a back and only said, "You'll need more treatment." We were over time and I was ushered out. By chance, my Doc was leaving the next day for holidays (well-deserved; she really does work long hours, does evenings twice a week and is getting to retirement age)Since then I have had a lot of trouble sleeping and really seem to be worrying about this (I do see her again on Tues); this of course, has affected my whole diet and exercise program; I seem to have a lot of trouble coping if I don't get enough sleep; its just like a domino effect- tired, difficulty exercising, poor eating. I briefly saw the dermatologist to check the healing of lesions. She doesn't seem very concerned because the lesions are probably localized. Then she asked me if I had supplementary insurance because she could do a procedure that involves a lotion over the face and the use of high intensity light which she said treats damaged skin (one of the blemishes is considered precancerous) and would included my whole face and is not invasive in terms of leaving scar tissue. While I am not keen to have scar tissue, my main concern is dealing thoroughly with the rogue cells. I wish the dermatologist was simply involved in a medical practice rather than a cosmetic one as well though that is very common here. When she asked about the insurance first, it makes me wonder how much of a medical indication is involved. If it is a recommended medical procedure, it should not matter whether insurance covers it or not- the recommendation should be based on its medical criteria. So there you have it; I am both worried over that lab report and worried that I am worrying too much. Because I have very fair skin, I have always been aware of keeping out of the sun and using good sunscreens. I have never been a sun worshipper!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Morning Crackers!

Bracken - I had thought you'd gone rather quiet on us of late and for good reason, it is now clear. How very worrying for you. Hopefully now your family doctor has read the report and is aware more treatment is needed,
    she will be more prepared at your next appointment on Tuesday to reassure you and advise you on what happens next. Not knowing I'm sure makes the problem 10 times worse and is the cause of your worry, once you have
    all the facts you will just deal with it and stop the what if? Keep us posted and let us know what happens on Tuesday. And Bracken I'm sure I speak for everyone in the Crackers, there is no need to put on a game face for
    us - just spill especially if it helps.

I'm off to the UK tomorrow but I am flying back on Wednesday, no hanging around!

Be good Crackers!
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies. I apologise for not being around lately. I had a few incidents happen in the UK that unfortunately triggered a bout of clinical depression. I have been so well mentally for a long time that this has knocked me sideways. I did get up and get dressed last Friday and after being awake for quite a lot of the weekend am feeling today that the black cloud above my head is greying so I am certain this bout was not as bad as it could have been and thankfully I have had no fits this time. (For some reason my depression has always triggered epileptic fits). I still find it so difficult to talk/write about and the feelings of shame, guilt and embarrassment never go away. When I am well I can appreciate these are inappropriate feelings but during and immediately after a bout these feelings are plentiful! Maybe I should do as my Mother always says and "pull myself together". (Probably the worse thing you can say to an unwell person!). A very good reason why I avoid her completely when I am unwell!

My Daughter Bless her is still going through so much whilst carrying this baby. She is now hardly able to walk with her pelvis so out of alignment and has not been able to get up the stairs for a few weeks to sleep. So she sleeps on a huge chair they have in the lounge, propped up with dozens of pillows! She also has a great team of consultants/midwives looking after her almost daily. However she is still smiling through it all and just happy to be pregnant. She was given a less than 1% chance of ever conceiving, so each baby is a joy and miracle to her. She has been speaking to OH very day and I have finally skyped her over the weekend. It's a bit funny really, she hasn't wanted to show me how much pain and discomfort she is in and I haven't wanted her to see me when I am like this. So we have been passing messages through OH!

Speaking of which he is due home soon, he has been so good with me, and has been popping home to see me (making sure I am at least drinking!) and taking Harry for a walk) a few times a day. So I am going to have a really quick shower and put a dress on to surprise him. I am sure he will be happy to see I am feeling more positive.

I have been dreading writing this email, I have been feeling such a failure. However I am finding it to be cathartic. I also have so much faith in our friendship it feels good to be finally able to put in words how I am feeling, with no judgment, just support, at the end of it. I am so happy to be a cracker!

I apologise for not reading back over the posts on here yet. I hope to catch up on them soon xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BM - just very pleased to have you back with us.
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Oh Bailey my heart goes out to you but even so it's good to see the transformation taking place in the course of your post. I can relate to all those horrible feelings you describe. Pulling yourself together is not helpful advice when you are in the depths like that though. Don't apologise to the Crackers! You have nothing to apologise for. When I look at some of my posts I'm a bit embarrassed but you have always been supportive and non judgemental. That is a courtesy we extend to each other without exception ( and one of the reasons I am still here). It seems to me that you have just come back from a long trip seeing your heavily pregnant daughter who is having a difficult time and you are now thousands of miles away - no wonder you have hit the buffers. Be kind to yourself you deserve it. Love PB xxxx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hi Crackers - well the witch queen really did it this time. She started my probation meeting by telling me that she wanted to extend it!!!! The policy is that should the manager want to extend my probation I should have been informed before hand, in writing. HR should have been present and I should have been given the opportunity to have a 'friend' in attendance. Having put me on the back foot she then spent the whole meeting trying to tell me what I was doing wrong - without giving any indication of how or when the extension would end. I came out feeling rather overwhelmed, but on the way home from work I found my fight - and I'm seeing HR in the morning. I'm keeping notes of all this so if it comes to it I can make a full complaint of bullying. There is nothing wrong with her reasoning and if she had tackled it properly I wouldn't have had a problem, but because she started with it of course everything I said was seen as defensive and 'self-justifying'. The sad part is it is quite clear I can trust none of my colleagues who are so terrified of her that they will say whatever she wants to hear. Basically, we didn't get down to any specifics in the meeting so she had no justification for saying she wanted to extend my probation. She just will not ever back down and if you push back a little she is ruthless. not a pleasant day. will let you know how it goes with HR in the morning. HOpe everyone else is well and that you Bailey are feeling more positive. Take care Crackers. PB xxx
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

I'm sorry I haven't been on here for a while especially as there are so many serious problems being faced. I tripped on an uneven pavement on Saturday and fell over very heavily. I winded myself, sprained my thumb, jarred both arms and shoulders and bruised my knee. I'm feeling much better now but haven't checked in here until today.

Bracken, I am so sorry to hear about your health issues. I can fully understand why you are worried and having a cosmetic business tied in with the medical practice is a bit off putting especially if the cosmetic appointments are more readily available than the medical ones. That really doesn't seem very ethical to me. I was just wondering if you are able to get a second opinion anywhere? It may also be worth researching the procedure and lotion she is recommending on the internet to see if you can get any further information. It's extremely hard to make decisions when you are in a pressured situation, particularly where your health is concerned. If you can, when they are suggesting expensive products/treatments I would say I want to think about it overnight and will ring them back the next day. It would give you a bit of time to reflect and research. No wonder you can't sleep. I hope you made some progress at your Tuesday appointment. Do let us know what happened and do share anything you are worried about on here with us.

BM - we have been worried about you and I'm so sorry to hear about your depression. I have a friend who suffers with it and I always feel so helpless when he is in the grip of it. I try to keep in touch through texts and although he doesn't often answer them he tells me afterwards that he likes getting them. It sounds positive that you haven't had any fits......long may that continue. It's great that you felt well enough to put a dress on and I'm sure your husband really appreciated you making the effort to do that. I hope it made you feel good too. Your husband sounds like he is a real cracker too! Do try and continue to do something nice for yourself every day and to think a positive thought every day - you know you are worth it. It's so very good to hear from you, so thank you for making the effort as I'm sure it took a lot of your energy.

PB - you too are having a dreadful time with the wicked witch. Can you last out until she leaves in June? Does anyone else have a problem with her? I'm glad to hear you have got some fight and I hope HR support you through this latest ordeal. It's definitely a good idea to keep contemporaneous notes of your meetings and although HR are unlikely to want to take her through a bullying disciplinary if she is leaving making a complaint may just keep her off your back for the remaining time she is there. Chin up.

MITM - glad you are safely back from your trip and raring to go on the exercise front. I hope to start again next week - haven't been up to much physically this week but I hope I will be better by next week. I bought a second hand 1p (plus postage) copy of your chocolate book. Had a quick flick through and it looks like there are some lovely recipes for "Chocolate" occasions!

Must dash. The Cracker army may be a little bit down at the moment, but we are strong and will get through all these problems.

All for one and one for all

xx

• mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Evening Crackers!

LMV - oh I can't believe what I'm reading.... You go skiing and stay on your feet, and then you trip and badly whilst at home. I hope you are back on your feet so to speak, very soon. Next week I'll meet you on the dance floor! I'm all talk and no action, I came back to an ill husband with no voice so I dragged him kicking to the doctors last night, on my return to get a sick note and he is now at home driving me crazy! My friend for walking is in Vienna until the end of the week and I'm all out of energy after my journey yesterday so I'm doing very little.... except eating!

Bracken - how did your appointment go on Tuesday, let us know. I hope it was more helpful.

BM - good to have you back with us, how are you today? How long has the daughter got now until she is due?

PB - I think your wicked witch needs a bucket of water over the head! Roll on June.

I ordered a bikini today so once that arrives next week, if that doesn't keep me on track there will be no hope!

Be good Crackers!

• mummyinthemountains
    Options
    P.S. And yes - I was eating the chocolates I was given!
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Well Good Morning Crackers - I'm amazed to say that I slept through till 8.00am this morning - something I never do. I'm not sure why as I didn't have a particularly busy day yesterday (although I did shift some furniture around). Next Thursday, for the QUeens Birthday I am singing the first verse of Rule Brittania, Solo..... in the open air without accompaniement (gulp) when we light the beacon on the Village Green. All very quaint and English

LMV you poor thing - I know how upsetting it is (not to mention how embarrassed you probably felt at being in a heap on the floor!). I hope you are starting to recover. As you say we are a bit down at the moment we seem to all be in the wars one way or another. The good news for me is that my leg is now almost normal and I'm not suffering so much of the swelling that I was.
    BM you've gone quiet again but I hope you are looking in even if you don't feel up to saying anything. We are with you and will be glad to have you back when you are ready. Take care of yourself and know that it will get better, but rushing it and pretending you are OK when you aren't will probably lengthen the recovery.
    I may have missed some of your tale Bracken but it sounds quite unethical. I agree with MITM - you need a second opinion! Don't be pushed into anything.
    MITM I too am still (!) eating chocolate from Easter in my case. But it is almost all gone now.

I have only 3 days in work this coming week. On MOnday I have my 'official' probation meeting where the witch queen will force me to accept an extension of my probation. Its not so much the extension that I object to (although I do think she is wrong) but that as usual, her approach was to attack me straight away in the meeting without discussing what I have done right - and focussing only on 2 occasions when she thinks I've 'let her down' - one of which was a second hand account (she wasn't there) and the other being the week I returned to work after my broken ankle when she told me to do what I could and pass it on to her - bearing in mind I was working short days and trying to get my head back in the game. My issue is that I am certain that she will find fault with anything I do and will never be satisfied because she always tries to get rid of people who she sees as having 'let her down' however good they are. I was very shocked at her vicious tactics but the good news is that I'm a CRAB - I won't start a fight but by golly I will finish it and she has picked on the wrong woman this time. I'm delighted to say that I am not taking medication to help and I feel strong, am sleeping well (!) and although I'm not getting enough exercise or eating well enough - I'm moving towards it! I've made it clear to HR that I'm keeping notes and will not hesitate to make a formal complaint if she continues to bully me. I could, I suppose also complain that they are rushing the probation meeting as it was only arranged on Thursday ( I was officially informed on Friday when I'm not in work) and although I have a right to have a 'friend' at the meeting, I have no one I could ask at the moment who is likely to be available at such short notice. But it fits with her Majesty's calendar so we must all jump.

On Friday I must attend the funeral of my friends Mum. I know its going to be a difficult one, not least because Sue is keeping me at arms length and hasn't really spoken to me - although she has been away at work all week (typical Sue). Thankfully, I haven't been asked to do anything at the funeral which is a bit of a relief although my heart would like to say something.
    I was, of course supposed to be going to France this coming weekend to do the Iolanthe so I'm off work officially until Wed the following week which means only 2 days that week (and the witch queen is only doing about 3 days a week anyway.

On Sunday its the Queen's Birthday celebration at Church which I think is going to be a lovely occasion.

Well that's it for now.

take care Crackers

PB xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Crackers. This seems like a time of considerable distress for team Cracker. If there is any good in all this, it is that everyone is able to support others in their struggles and to feel strengthened by the concern of our fellow Crackers. At the moment, I am feeling quite stunned as I have just been on the phone to my friend with whom I ride. I have mentioned her before as someone also my age. We have become good stable mates and besides horses share a common interest in literature and writing; she belongs to a poetry writing group while I also belong to a writing group. We have not seen much of each other for the past few weeks because of not riding because of weather, my vehicle problem and both of us have had some medical issues. I am stunned because I phoned her tonight and she told me she has been given a diagnosis for her recent difficulties with speech; she has ALS (the same disease that Stephen Hawking has). We spoke for quite awhile though I hardly know what I said I was so shocked. Here I am so sorry to hear that you have been struggling with an episode of depression, BM. I am very familiar with the trials of clinical depression as my mother suffered from it and had some very bad episodes in the course of her life. I know I have not had severe depression like my mother but have wondered if I have from time to time some mild depression. I think feeling guilty is a symptom of depression caused by the illness but I hope you can see you really have no need to feel guilty. I hope you can take the best care of yourself possible and please remember how valued you are as part of this group. I am glad to know that you have a kind and supportive husband who clearly values you. It may not be surprising that you have had this recent episode when considering the stress of making that trip to England from so far and the stress of your daughter's pregnancy. I think giving Harry some hugs could help too. PB, your on-going struggles at work are surely taxing on you too but I am glad that you have been able to continue with your singing which seems to be such a joy to you. I did have to smile at your description of the setting of your solo- for some reason it reminded me of the opening scene of an episode of Midsomer Murders! I suppose because they often set the stories around a typical British activity. I could imagine a murderous flagpole or something come crashing upon you were you in Midsomer. LMV, I remember thinking how impressed I was that after so many years you went skiing and found you could have a good, and safe time, doing it but neglected to mention it in one of my recent hasty posts. Now I must comment of the irony of your unfortunate trip on pavement. I'm sure it was painful as it seems similar to a fall I had a year ago on some uneven paving outside my garage. Your injuries do not surprise me at all but I hope you are starting to feel better now. MITM, I'm glad you are able to avoid much distress at the moment. I was going to write about my recent visit to my Doc; it was on Friday not Tuesday as I originally stated. It is now getting late however and I must let Nellie out so will update you soon. Suffice to say the wheels grind slowly.
    I'll end on a more positive note. Today was almost summer-like- very warm and sunny. I did a huge amount of yard work, much raking and picking up of twigs and fallen branches. When it was at its hottest, I took a break and went out and bought some lovely pansies which have just arrived at the garden centres. One hanging basket is now on the hanger outside the dining table window so I can readily see it. I also bought two small pots that had the biggest blooms ever. Pansies are so cheerful. While I was working, especially earlier in the day, there was continual birdsong. Spring really is my favourite season.

• mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Morning Crackers!

Today it is very spring like here in Austria. I must make the most of it as we have rain forecasted for the rest of the week but we need it after so little snow this winter. My husband has been ill (cold
    and chest infection) so we didn't work over the weekend and if we are housebound this weekend it will give us the opportunity to catch up.

I too Bracken have been working hard in the garden and I've felt everyone of my fifty years - I feel so stiff! I have also started (once AGAIN) on finishing the window frames, just touching up the paint
    where I left putty to dry over the winter months. My next big job is the window shutters, 30 in all which need painting and the wood shed. I'm dreading it but know it can't be put off any longer.

As a little cosmetic pick me up job, yesterday I cut away the grass that has over grown the sleepers set into our front lawn. I have done 10 so far with another 10 to go which I must complete today
    before the rain comes as it is so noticeable but I'm very pleased with my handiwork!

Not so long ago in an article on depression, I came across a formula for happiness; DEFOE - diet, exercise, friends, organisation, environment. Which for me I would agree with. If I don't eat well - the
    grey fog approaches very quickly, too much sugar and I'm down! If I don't exercise I start to wobble - I need to at least get out and walk once a day even if it is raining. Friends I need to bounce off,
    organisation for example my home, it has to be in some sort of order I cannot live with total mess - I don't do clutter! My husband has his office and the basement and what he does in these areas is up
    to him but my sitting room is my space! Environment is probably the most important to me as I realised on moving to Austria the grey spells were less frequent, living in my little village on the mountain
    I have removed myself from situations and people that brought me down. I'm so much more happier and accepting of myself and able to handle my trips back home knowing I will escape again to my
    retreat.

But as the author of this piece said herself, she has to work to be positive and I have to battle but I know my trigger signs like if I'm over tired I will start over eating or if I'm with someone whose
    exhausting and demanding I need to excuse and remove myself from their presence and I'm now quite ruthless if I need downtime on my own!

Bracken I must just add that I am very sorry to hear the dreadful news concerning your friend. I do hope she has the same rare slow-progressing form of ALS as Stephen Hawking and not the fatal type
    of motor neurone my late Aunt had which after her speech slurred it was downhill very rapidly. I would recommend you arrange to meet up with your friend sooner rather than later.

Right the sun is still shining and I am going to do battle with the final sleepers.

Be good Crackers!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Evening Crackers!

Did you know it is depression awareness week?

There is an interesting article in the Guardian by Tim Lott; 'darker than grief, an implosion of the self, a sheet of ice, no matter how you describe it this is a terrifying state to be trapped in.... in a serious state of depression you become
    a sort of half-living ghost.'

'Repeated studies have shown that mild to moderate depressives have a more realistic take on life than most 'normal' people, a phenomenon known as 'depressive realism'. As Neel Burton author of The Meaning of Madness put it, this
    is 'the healthy suspicion, that modern life has no meaning and that modern society is absurd and alienating.' In a goal-driven, work-oriented culture this is deeply threatening.'

That so sums up how I feel whenever I'm in the 'real' world and explains why I can't wait to get back up my mountain where time has stood still...

BM - I do hope your cloud is lifting.

Be good Crackers!