Let's get started

Replies

• mummyinthemountains
    mummyinthemountains Posts: 808 Member
    Good morning Crackers!

Bliss - my clever brother-in-law over the weekend has changed my computer into English hurrah! The daughter has her head stuck into her revision so I thought I would grab the opportunity for a quick update. Lovely to have you back BM and you are doing so well after your break away! PB I hope you are getting settled into your new home and Bracken I hope Spring is finally in the air....

Well I managed much to my surprise (I didn't realise I had the willpower!) to stay away from all chocolate and crisps during my week in the UK yay! I also averaged 10,000 steps a day. Sadly I do adore hot cross buns which you cannot get in Austria and certainly not at 2 packets for a pound, so I ate far too many of those however when I stepped on the scales on my return I weighed the same as when I left, so an achievement of sorts as I still ate my father's meals! On Easter Sunday our 8 guests arrived at lunchtime and the Easter celebrations began in earnest around the clock... for the next 36 hours. At least we did walk as well as scoff rich food (husband/chef was on cooking) and ate chocolate but with so many people the goodies did disappear quickly - 4 growing boys can happily stuff down chocolate brownies one after another (the teenager ate 4!) whilst one is enough for me! So the only chocolate remaining in the house is dark chocolate which I can only eat so much at one sitting and next year I won't buy as much.

As I retired to bed on Easter Monday, after making Nigella's Ice-cream cake to put in the freezer overnight (!) I felt such a gigantic blob, clothes felt tight which I'm now putting down to the diet of rich food and just feeling sluggish! And I had to give myself a good talking to, if I lost just 3 pounds I'd feel so much happier in myself but having struggled these past weeks to lose 2 ounces.... I was beginning to despair I'd lost the knack. Woke up yesterday on my birthday and a fairy must have dusted me with fairy magic in the night. I stepped on the scales and I had lost 1.4lbs after the Easter weekend!!! Had a lovely birthday, the cake was different but I couldn't have ate another square of chocolate in a sponge! Had a super walk with the daughter in the mountains which must have burnt it off because this morning I weigh the same as yesterday whoopee!

Right the daughter has finished and wants to go for a walk so I must stop.

Be good Crackers!
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Happy Birthday MITM! It sounds like you had a great day, especially with your Daughter there for it, and the icing on the cake.....literally, to lose weight. Yay! I am happy for you. That Nigella cake looks wickedly divine! lol x x
  • 77Bailey77
    Happy Monday morning Ladies. It is already in the mid 30's here so I am off soon to give Harry his second walk before it gets really hot(!!). Hope everyone has had a great weekend. I am still being so good with my alcohol intake. I honestly don't know if I enjoy even the 2 glasses of wine I have on a Saturday evening anymore. I feel so guilty drinking them, which I know is a bit daft. I would stop altogether but then I think OH works so hard all week and he enjoys us just relaxing over a quiet supper out and a glass of wine. I feel its only polite to join him! (he never minds or comments either way, it's just my guilt and silly feelings).

MITM, Hope you are still having a lovely time with your daughter. I am not too sure when the school term commences but I will be thinking of you x x

Bracken, hope you and Nellie are both OK. You and your family are in my thoughts x x

PB, Are you settled in your new home yet? Please let us know how you are doing x x

Off to walk the dog now, the men are fogging the grounds (a smoke/mist they spray onto the shrubs etc to prevent the mosquitos) so we will have to nip underground and out that way.

Have a good week all,

BM x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Afternoon Crackers!

Well what my fairy birthday godmother failed to mention was that just like Cinderella's carriage changing back into a pumpkin - my lost 1.4lbs would turn back into 2lbs of Easter/birthday flab!! So over the weekend once more I felt like a huge blob and whilst everyone else is joyously enjoying this freaky hot weather over Europe, for me it just highlights I've no summer clothes that fit...

The trim, slim, fit daughter has made me see the light yet again, told me how it is and if I don't like what I see in the mirror then do something about it instead of wallowing in self pity. So I'm back to square one again with 7.4lbs to lose or to be more realistic, just 4lbs stand between me and my wardrobe. Just writing that sounds absolutely pathetic but in my defence the difference 7lbs makes to target is enormous and they are the hardest few pounds to shift!

I'm cross with myself because I don't think I was silly over Easter or my birthday in fact quite sensible but I've known ever since I strayed over my 1/2 stone allowance I was playing with fire and I'm beating myself up for the mess I'm making of things now. So as Beck would say I need to draw the line and move on. I'm returning my daughter to England next weekend and flying back on the Monday so I won't do too much damage in the UK! Then I have about 13 weeks and I am going to prove to myself and to her, I can shift these pounds because my weight gain is making everyone else's life hell as I'm as miserable as sin!!

BM - I have to say reading your post about the desserts I found that really inspiring and I love it that you are on a roll again. Long may it continue! Bracken - I am missing your wise words, how are things with you and PB - have you started on your vegetable garden yet? I had a lovely surprise I received a text message from LMV wishing me a happy birthday. I replied back that we missed her.

Right I am going to walk down with the daughter to the lower village (as pictured) from my perch to the post office. I want my parents to pick up my M&S order before I arrive; I have ordered (with a birthday discount) a larger size bikini as I am not squeezing my current size bottom into my polka dot bikini and making a scene at the swimming pool!!!! I am then going walking with my friend and then this evening I have a teenager coming who is doing her A-levels and needs help with an English presentation - on 'why is fast food so unhealthy for you?' perfect topic for me!!!

Be good Crackers - I am truly trying hard!!!
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Hello Crackers. It has been lovely to finally get back here again and have such lovely thoughtful and detailed posts to read- this I did last night and there is a great deal I would like to respond to. I felt somewhat overwhelmed by it actually but then I decided that I would address a couple of topics today and then try to get back tomorrow and the next day etc- break it into manageable bites. Which is really what it comes to with a lot of issues. I'll start by saying that spring seems to finally have arrived but only last weekend when we had the first really warm days. Even the previous Monday, there had been 4' of snow. I now am hearing birds chirping in the early morning ( and despite popular wisdom says, the birds do not begin singing at dawn but considerably before then, when it is still very dark. I'd like to know a scientific explanation for this!). A long warm rain yesterday almost instantly turned some grass green and I was quite delighted to see the little chipmunk who lives under my front steps appear, looking for dropped seeds under the birdfeeder. I put some seeds on the ground for him. I even have a few crocuses out.
    On Saturday I attended a presentation on mindful meditation (it had been originally scheduled for Feb. but cancelled) given by a Doctor of Psychology who herself has been practicing it for 25 years. My primary care physician had suggested it as I've had some bouts of anxiety and she knows I won't take any medication. The presentation was really excellent, held in a very nice conference centre which is part of the university. The presentation involved a very thorough talk with overheads (all of which were copied into a booklet for us to take home) interspersed with a number of guided meditation exercises we did as a group. I have never been very keen on what might be loosely called 'New Age' practices but had already read about it and know that in some school districts it is even taught in schools. Doctor P. went into a lot of details of the scientific and neurological basis of the practice which I liked. There was a very nice lunch provided (truth be told there was a continuous supply of food of which everyone, self included, happily accessed before the presentation started and during two scheduled breaks!) For the lunch ( a buffet), we were asked to get our meal and when we returned to the conference room, to eat completely silently, without engaging with anyone in the room, but being totally mindful of the food. Because I live alone, I usually read while eating at the table. I have tried to be mindful of not eating at the same moment as I am reading. Also quite often, I eat dinner while watching Coronation Street. I found it very interesting to eat completely without distraction- I really ate slowly and was satisfied with a modest meal (of course, it was rather undercut by the snacking at other times). So I am trying to do this at home now, starting with breakfast and lunch, and any snack. The dinner may take some work. I certainly know Beck would approve of this.
    We were also given a CD with three guided meditations to take home and the recommendation is to do at least the 15 minutes once daily if possible. So far so good.
    As a last comment before I leave this, I must say how lovely it was to hear from MITM that she had a birthday greeting from LMV- so nice to know she must be doing well. From me, MITM, belated birthday good wishes and I am sure you are trying hard.
  • mummyinthemountains
    What a lovely treat Bracken is back! And I am being very, very good!! Sadly can't stop but I did enjoy my cup of tea and reading your post, looking forward to part 2.
  • brackenmh
    Hello Crackers. Thanks for the welcome, MITM and good to hear you are being good. I've just come in after another session of yard work today as it was getting dark. However, I wanted to
    finally make a start as there is a pickup of yard waste on Monday. Most of what I did involved bending so my back is quite sore. There was a lovely red cardinal singing away as I worked and it only stopped singing a few minutes ago as it became fully dark. It was a nice day again so I wanted to take advantage of it as rain is expected tomorrow. Nellie and I had a walk and I also had my student here for tutoring. I worked in my meditation again today. I am doing it in the morning but at the end of it I felt as if I could fall asleep so may try it in the evening at some point. MITM, I finally got around to reading about Ella Woodward which was most interesting. Although her condition is somewhat different to mine there are similarities. Her diet is clearly very demanding but it is amazing and clearly worthwhile because of the results she has achieved. I'm not sure if I could ever completely give up meat because of its ease of preparation and accessibility for getting enough protein; however, I basically never eat a lot of meat. I don't eat pork (except for the occasional bit of bacon), never eat processed meats like hot dogs or salami, eat little red meat, haven't had lamb for years, but poultry is a staple for me. I also would be reluctant to give up fish; in fact I am trying to eat more fish, especially salmon and sardines because you hear so much about the benefits of their omega 3 oils. Eating sardines is a real trial for me but I have had them once for lunch this week. Her eating plan sounds very much like the 'clean eating' one hears a lot about and I'd like to see her recipe book. I do think I could improve my diet by eating more lentils, beans, chickpeas but do not really use them much in cooking. I am going to explore her ideas further.
  • 77Bailey77
    Hi Bracken!! Wonderful to sit and read your posts again. Definitely worth making another cuppa for! xx

MITM, keep up the good work! I think we all do, on the whole, cope brilliantly with our healthy eating. It's just life keeps getting the way, eg holidays, birthdays, Christmas, illness and the list goes on. Day to day and week to week I do Ok, I seem to be heading in the right direction, even gaining speed with my weight loss and an event happens. We can't stop these happening, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to get through one without a gain. Maybe life would be easier if we could just accept it's going to happen. In the meanwhile I am still trying to lose the weight I have steadily gained from last summer. I feel so near, yet so far!

On a positive note I have just had my first swim this year. Only 10 lengths of the smaller pool, but I know my hesitancy is more mental than physical. Hoping to swim a few times a week now. I am also back to using my fitbit daily and loving all the stats it is giving me. It really does make me do those few extra steps.

PB, let us know how it's all going for you x x

How lovely to hear from LMV. I hope she is well, it would be so good if she were to rejoin us but I expect she is busy and has her reasons. We can only hope she returns!! MITM if she contacts you again please give her my love and tell her she is very much missed.

Hope you are all able to enjoy the lovely weather that is happening at the moment. Take care.
    Love BM x x
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Hi Crackers - I'm back. Just got broadband on line. Have no time to update you now as need to go to work. Interview for permanent job tomorrow too. Speak soon. PB x
  • PortiaBentley
    Hi Crackers - I'm back. Just got broadband on line. Have no time to update you now as need to go to work. Interview for permanent job tomorrow too. Speak soon. PB x
  • 77Bailey77
    Good Luck with the interview PB. I am firmly crossing everything for you! Let us know how you get on. x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Hope the interview went well PB? Well I'm off to the UK again tomorrow morning but flying back to Austria on Monday. Hopefully that won't give me anytime to gain any excess baggage but never say never... I've been 'excellent' this past week and have walked lots so I deserved my 2lb loss of Easter/birthday goodies. Now I just need to continue. After a mini heat-wave this week which kept me on the straight and narrow as I had nothing to wear and everything felt tight and uncomfortable, it is cold today and tomorrow there is snow forecasted. The weather is like my weight totally unpredictable! Right I've packing and potatoes awaiting but I will report in again on Tuesday.

Be good Crackers!
  • PortiaBentley
    Hello Crackers - no news on the interview yet but I'm not feeling confident. really had too much going on to be properly focused on it and don't feel I did myself justice. Still no good worrying about it. Came home via various jobs that needed doing in various parts of Ipswich and then set to to try and sort out the scullery which was a mess of boxes, bags and other stuff. Looking much better now. Then had a look at the kitchen and moved a few things around. I feel like that really helped. Garden needs a bit of attention but hoping to get someone in to put it back on the straight and narrow before I get into keeping it tidy. I think I will be sorting out the garage this morning. So plenty of activity. Pub across the road is very nice although a bit expensive but seems to be doing OK at the moment.

My body is slowly recovering from the Hunt Ball last weekend. Its a relief to get these last few weeks over if I'm honest, to be back in my own home, sleeping in my own bed and looking at doing a little baking at some point today.

Some teething problems with the move included new cooker being delivered but not fitted as I apparently had 'the wrong kind of cable'. Electrician brought in to do the cable - who announced that the fuse box was dangerous and also needed replacing. Then after a few days the shower stopped mixing hot/cold. Plumber comes in and sorts it but two days of washing my hair in the bath - not comfortable. Hopefully, that's the worst of it. I'm not terribly happy with the layout in my bedroom but can't move it on my own so shall have to wait for some assistance from a friend. At least its relatively tidy in there.

One of the things I hadn't taken into account in the move was a complete lack of storage space so need a wardrobe and potentially a set of shelves for the scullery so that I can store food etc.

Well the sun is shining and I need to get another lot of washing out on the line so I will finish now and talk to you all again later (after catching up with all your news properly)

Take care Crackers

PB x
  • brackenmh
    A quick late night pop-in but have not wanted to leave things too long again. BM, it's good to read that you are persevering and making a start with swimming. I'm quite intrigued with the fitbit device but am not sure if one would work for me in terms of compatibility with the type of phone I have or with my computer programs. I really dislike going into those electronics stores and having to ask questions; I find the staff quite intimidating. Know that I too am working off old weight gain so we are this boat together! I have also found like MITM that taking out spring clothes that are too tight is sobering indeed. PB, I was happy to previously read that you have bought a new house. It does seem typical that in these situations you always have glitches like the wretched wrong kind of cable or a shower going astray. Quite recently all at once I had a dripping tap in both the bathtub and bathroom sink, the sink began not draining properly and the toilet tank would not fill correctly- all small but very annoying. I know about the washing hair in the tub. I hope you get this soon sorted and can begin to enjoy new home. I hope you enjoyed your Hunt Ball despite everything. "Ball" does sound so elegant and not so often heard anymore, at least here.
    Another lovely spring day today. I went out in the morning to watch a ten year old niece who is learning to ride.
    Must leave now. Regards.
  • brackenmh
    An even quicker pop-in today. I have started to do my income tax return. I have been doing it myself for a number of years as it is relatively straightforward (relatively being the operative word when dealing with such matters) ; however, I have just discovered that one of the slips I need from the few days of substitute teaching last year is no where to be found. I like to think I am quite organized in this and have a file the year's tax related materials so can't think how I don't have it. So tomorrow I'll have to phone the school board office and drive over for a duplicate slip- very frustrating. I really wanted to get a good start on it today as it's due on the 30th.
  • 77Bailey77
    I do not envy you Bracken, I hope you can get it all sorted soon. Thankfully my daughter trained as an accountant so I just leave anything financial to her! As to your question re the "fitbit". They are inexpensive to buy and I believe they can be connected to any smart phone, I pad, computer etc. Mine sort of connected itself to my ipad! I only had to turn on Bluetooth and it happened. Like yourself I dislike technology shops. I find they either treat you like a fool or think you are a genius! I never even know the right questions to ask, so I avoid it as much as possible. I would say though that it can be worth the effort of getting one sorted. I now push myself to get my goal steps in daily and love seeing how many exercise(walking) minutes I can do. I am not a member of any of the challenge groups available, I just "compete" against myself. The first cyber badge I received for walking a total number of kilometres (50, I think) was so exciting I rang OH in the middle of a meeting to tell him! lol x If you go on the Amazon.uk or .com website it is all explained there with some helpful reviews.

PB, I am sure you will have your new home sorted soon. It always seems when one thing isn't right a few others follow! x x

MITM, I am thinking of you x x I know it cant be easy for you with all the "Goodbyes" you go through. I always try to think of it as; For every horrid Goodbye, a brilliant, wonderful Hello awaits. (Not much help I know), Take care of yourself and continue being good! x x

Off to walk Harry now. Have a great day Crackers x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Afternoon Crackers!

I've just popped in for a catch up whilst drinking my cup of tea before heading on for the garden... However I just had to say since I almost spit my tea out with laughter, after reading your comment about a brilliant, wonderful hello awaiting... I rang my husband when I caught my last connection to remind him to pick me up at our village station; I had got up that morning at 3am, flown into Salzburg where I had a 5hr wait before starting my 4 hour train journey with 2 changes and no buffet services to arrive in our village at 8.15pm and he said to me on the phone 'Do you want to eat?' OF COURSE I WANT TO EAT!!!!! I'd had nothing to eat but bread all day and I was starving and the least I expected from my chef husband was to be fed!

Be good Crackers!
  • 77Bailey77
    Oh I am in a right knot! Harry and I had been back from our walk for a couple of hours when I noticed a thorn/stick on his head. I tried to pick or pull it off and realised he has a fishing hook stuck in his scalp. I am totally calm in any human crisis but animals are a whole other ball game. I have tracked OH down from somewhere in Asia and he is en route here and the vet is ready to operate to remove it. I am pacing miles, for sure I will hit my steps today! The only good thing so far is Harry seems totally unconcerned by it all, thankfully the hook is not bothering him one iota. I am more concerned that every minute more bacteria is coming off the hook and into Harry's bloodstream. In my head he is heading for sepsis and major trauma! I am being a right drama queen but he is like one of my children to me and certainly not just a dog. Well I am off to pace some more, thank you all for "listening" it has calmed me down to Sit for a minute and get this off my chest. X x

MITM was hysterical reading your post earlier. Men are so clueless. If you are like me you don't just get hungry you get HANGRY! X x Glad you are back safe though x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    What an excellent word BM! Oh poor Harry, poor you keep us posted.
  • 77Bailey77
    Thank you for the kind words MITM, yes I too love the word Hangry. We have just picked Harry up from the vets. He has had his head shaved bless him, and has his front leg bandaged from the sedation. He is out cold as he has had lots of pain relief plus the sedation and antibiotic injections. I think my blood pressure and stress levels are coming back to normal! We have just paid the vet enough to buy a small car in the UK lol, but he is worth every cent. The vet and majority of staff have known Harry since he was 3 weeks old, when he was left in a box near their practice, so they make such a fuss of him. The vet advised me to go home and have a Brandy! Hard to think I was an ITU nurse at one point! Lol x
    It is almost time for bed now and I for one am glad to put this day to bed. (I also broke the replacement shelf in the fridgefreezer (a Miele....gulp) that OH has just had delivered and fit since I broke the last one. I haven't told him that bit of news yet, oops