Weighing foods...

NicoleL874
NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
Good morning! I'm sure the majority of us weigh or measure most everything. I'm wondering if any of you have noticed some inconsistencies in things. I have two examples.

1. Unflavored Quest Protein: The label shows one serving as one scoop (28g). I put the scoop on my scale, tare it, then fill it and it weighs at 36g. That is 128% of one serving. So that is more than 25 extra calories. At 24g of protein in one serving, that's an additional 6g of protein.

2. Starkist Tuna Creations Lemon Pepper (single serve pouch): The label shows one serving as a full pouch (74g). Again, when I weighed it, it came to 87.32g. And yes, that was tared and product only weighed. So that is an additional 18% or 15 calories and 3.25g protein.

Everything else I've weighed has come out right, but now it's making me think I need to weigh everything! If isolated, it wouldn't be a big deal, but in one day, that's a difference of 40 calories and 9.25 grams of protein. Which still doesn't seem like a lot calorie-wise, but I count macros more than calories. I'm already at 140 grams, and if I assume and go much higher I can hurt my kidneys.

Am I being crazy, overly-paranoid? Any of you notice this with products?

THANKS!

Nicole

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Yep, it's pretty eye opening to see those inconsistencies when they pop up. After a while you can alomst spot them by eye. Tracking is not an exact science (unless you get EXACT with it), so I always treat it as an estimation. The same goes with exercise calories. There's no real way of knowing without heart rate monitors and other calibrated measurements.
    I've really slacked off on the weighing everything lately. I'll probably get back to it, when I Restart next weekend.
  • NicoleL874
    Yeah, my trainer has adjusted my macros, and it's working! (6lbs in 1 week! WOO!) So I'm really in weighing mode right now! And, with my protein getting upped so much, I really want to be careful because of kidney issues in my family. I had a stone years ago, from dehydration, so I'm not too concerned directly...but the family history isn't good.

I pre-input my work days, I hyper-plan all my food on those days! I sit with a calculator and figure out what I can eat and how many mini-meals/snacks I need. I log EVERY bite. I work a weird job, unlike most others, so I can't have a full meal in one sitting. I have 10 minutes every hour for break. So, I have to refill my water, go to the bathroom, eat, whatever...in those 10 minutes. We are even restricted as to what times we can break...it's a mess, so planning ahead and deleting foods I end up NOT eating works better for me.

OMG. Seriously, I'm super verbose today! I'll stop, lol...
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Eventually, I'd love to get to where I can pre-weigh and bag my work snacks/lunches, but that's more effort than I have time for :)
    What kind of macro percentages are you going with right now? After this "pouch test"/reset that I'll begin on Monday, I'm planning on giving Keto eating a dedicated shot. For my purposes (and not having Premium MFP) I'm set at 50% Protein, 40%fat, 10% carbs per the calculations that a friend ran for me.
  • NicoleL874
    I'm not sure how to check my % on the desktop version, only my mobile. Mobile phones at work are punishable by death. (that's how they make it seem) I'll have to check that later. I do shoot for 1,200 cal or less, 135-140 protein, 75 carb, <40 fat. I don't pay for premium, so I set the % as close as I can get and hate that exercise increases everything...which is why it's also easier for me to figure it out the night before or first thing in the morning before things shift.

Also, have you done Keto before? I tried for three months below 30g. I was in a constant brain fog. Some people can do it, but definitely pay attention to your body. I had to stay >50 for the fog to lift. At 75, with the increased exercise, I have a ton of energy I haven't felt in over a decade!

I get the science behind it and kudos to the people that can stay that low! Just be sure to listen to your body after the first seven days when the keto "flu" should be gone!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I have been eating keto for a year. When beginning keto one needs to know a few things!:
    1. Ketosis is when the body burns fat for energy, instead of sugar (because you aren't eating any!). These ketones produced from burning fat are excreted through the urine (as well as some other places). When we urinate they take sodium with them. The drop in sodium levels produce the brain fog, making you feel terrible! To prevent the terrible feeling the sodium must be replaced, everyday! It takes 3000-5000 mg of sodium, each day, achieve this. Please understand, this isn't extra sodium, it's only replacing what you're losing!
    2. Allowing the low sodium to continue will lead to loss of magnesium, and potassium, further increasing the terrible feeling! Supplementing the sodium can prevent this too!

Ketogenic eating goes against everything we have been taught about nutrition (which has been wrong!)! It's high fat that makes it work (not being hungry, creating food control that's amazing!) for the long-term! I eat 80 % of my calories from fat, getting approximately 110gm of fat each day, with protein being 20 % (80 gm), and carbs 5% (20gm or less). Results have been phenomenal!!
  • NicoleL874
    @Karlottap I appreciate the tip. I tried it. I'm a member of several keto forums on FB and worked with them to try to adjust. My body just doesn't seem to like it. When I upped my intake, the fog cleared and so did my stalls. *shrugs* Not everything is right for every body!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    That's true! Glad you found the combination for you! :)
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Sounds like you have a data entry job. Frequent breaks to avoid carpel tunnel syndrome. The world is sometimes not designed to accommodate the human condition. Maybe instead of water one of your beverages could be a protein drink.
  • NicoleL874
    @nowucme Not data entry, but yes for the CTS and for brain burn out. I'm a sign language interpreter and I process phone calls using a videophone and headset all day.

Hitting my protein is not an issue, it's the discrepancies based on what labels say and what they actually weigh! And, it's hit or miss even by brand. One package is spot on, the next will be over/under. Grrrr...

I do two protein shakes on gym days. Today, I also have protein chips because lack of "real food" planning. Rough week, but I get it in!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Here's why I weigh everything - I bought some organic PB Fit to add to my greek yogurt. The label says two tablespoons (12 grams) is 50 calories. Two tablespoons weighed WAY more than 12 grams, almost double actually. When I searched the MFP database, three entries for organic PB Fit showed up - one said 12 grams 50 calories, one said 1 tablespoon 50 calories, and one said 2 tablespoons 50 calories???? I went with the weighed measurement. My surgeon has me on 1300 calories a day right now, so being off 50 calories here and could have a big impact. Imagine if it was another kind of food, maybe higher fat or more dense protein, inaccurate measuring could REALLY throw things off.
  • NicoleL874
    @garber6th That's exactly it! It's crazy! To think of all the times I was trying to lose weight and blindly trusted! It's made me almost neurotic in the kitchen. I only weigh in grams and ml now. I'm trying to not go overboard, but REALLY?!? lol